Zero2Cool
15 years ago

The good news for the Green Bay Packers is rookie Jordy Nelson is outperforming the two wide receivers selected ahead of him in the draft. The bad news is, Nelson doesn't play defense, where the Packers could sorely use some reinforcements.

The issue isn't whether Nelson was worth taking with the Packers' top draft choice high in the second round (36th overall) in April.

The bigger question is whether General Manager Ted Thompson should have stayed put with the 30th overall pick in the first round and addressed some significant defensive needs.

Thompson has restocked the roster mostly through the draft since taking over in 2005, with a preferred method of trading down to accumulate picks.

But at some point, Thompson must stop trading back, especially high in the draft when impact players are available, and place more emphasis on immediate needs.

Thompson traded down from No. 30 to No. 36 and acquired an extra fourth-round choice from the New York Jets, which after more wheeling and dealing, turned out to be defensive end Jeremy Thompson.

In the long term, parlaying the No. 30 selection into Nelson and Jeremy Thompson might turn out just fine.

Of the first 10 receivers taken in the draft all in the second round Nelson ranks third in production with 10 catches for 116 yards and a touchdown serving mostly as the team's No. 4 wideout. Jeremy Thompson, who spent four games on the inactive list and only played last week because of Cullen Jenkins' season-ending injury, has a long way to go before he makes an impact.

In the short term, the Packers desperately could use help on defense. Injuries have decimated the depth chart, and the defense ranks near the bottom of the NFL.

Instead of trading out of the first round, Ted Thompson could have selected Clemson defensive end Phillip Merling, who is making waves with the Miami Dolphins. The 6-foot-4, 290-pound Merling is pushing veteran Vonnie Holiday for a starting spot and has recorded his first NFL sack on a team that ranks No. 7 in points and yards allowed. Considering the Packers' pressing needs on the defensive line, Merling would look pretty good in a green and gold uniform right about now.

The Packers' GM also could have drafted Virginia Tech cornerback Brandon Flowers, who became an immediate starter with the Chiefs and has 22 solo tackles and three passes defensed.

The Packers waited until the end of the second round to draft cornerback Pat Lee, who was inactive for the first three games, and like Jeremy Thompson, is a work in progress.

It's telling that just five of 20 Packers draft choices in the past two years have been devoted to defense, and there are no starters among them.

Maybe some of those young prospects will emerge into bona fide stars someday. In the meantime, the Packers' defense is suffering and starved for playmakers.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
The thing about this article that I don't really agree with is... he makes it sound like everyone KNEW that Brandon Flowers would start right away and that Phillip Merling was going to a force to reckon with.

it's a lot easier to look back at a draft say who should have been picked rather than actually doing the pick without knowing the future.

I do agree we gotta stop trading down. We have a solid core and now we need difference makers.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
Dammit! I'm so mad damn mad at Thompson for not looking into his crystal ball before the draft! Damn Ted Thompson! I KNEW he should've looked into the future so he would've known that we'd have all these defensive injuries! Damn you Ted Thompson and damn your refusal to peer into the future to figure out that a lot of our defensive stars would get hurt this year which would've made you realize you shouldn't have drafted for the future!!! Damn not drafting for right now even though our guys were healthy before the draft!!!! Damn it Ted!
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
15 years ago
bozz, I detect a hint of sarcasm in your post.

Yes, the article was kind of lame. How many of these 20-20 hindsight articles do we have to read every year? I was surprised, and yes, a little disappointed by Thompson's trade down out of the first round this year, but the jury is still out. The Nelson pick confused a lot of people because the Packers were deep at wide receiver, but with the injuries there, he has actually made a significant contribution. Meanwhile, Brandon Flowers probably would've been the dime back in our defense. He's starting for the Chiefs because the Chiefs suck. And they've only won one game.
blank
Bigbyfan
15 years ago
I actually wanted Brandon Flowers to be in the green and gold. He would have learned a lot from Harris. The guy is a little small, but plays press coverage well and can knock the $&*t outta people.

This being said, I have very little issues with the draft. However, we need to start drafting players who fill needs and can make an immediate impact early. We are in the position to start drafting this way because Ted Thompson has done a great job at adding depth to our team.

Nice article.
blank
gakko
15 years ago
I got one thing to say about all this, and you should all watch VERY closely:

[youtube]50LsvwmgJ7I[/youtube]
blank
IronMan
15 years ago

I got one thing to say about all this, and you should all watch VERY closely:

[youtube]50LsvwmgJ7I[/youtube]

"gakko" wrote:

LOL that was awesome.
gakko
15 years ago
btw speaking of Bobby Knight, I think this is what we need in the lockerroom right now:
[youtube]Yw7KijRfU-c[/youtube]
blank
15 years ago
Looking back at last year, who would of thought our defense would turn out like this?
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
The Amazing Mike Vandermause
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
17m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.