nerdmann
10 years ago
I've been saying this for awhile. It has seemed to me that they players have stopped buying into Dom and his system.

It's like Favre, when he didn't like the play that was called. He'd just freelance, and half the players would go along with him, half would run the play that was called. You get chaos on the field.

On defense, you'd get... GUYS NOT COVERING THE RIGHT GUY. DUDES NOT IN THEIR GAPS. Sound familiar?

Now evidence is emerging to support my thesis, to wit:

Tramon Williams hesitant to support Dom Capers' defensive scheme 

Williams was asked for his thoughts on Capers' scheme and he offered the following response, which began with a two-second pause.

"Um," Williams said, before again pausing for three seconds. "I mean, it's been good. Obviously we won the Super Bowl with it. It's been around for a while. When you're struggling you don't know what to think about it, and that's anybody. That's just part of the frustration going on with things. We're still buying into what's going on.

"It's going to be a struggle from both points, coaches and players. It's not going to be one of those things where we're going to point fingers at the scheme or it's this. We're not going to do that. We're going to finish it out the way we started. That's together as a team whichever way it goes. We're going to be in it together."

So, what began with some negativity did turn more positive as Williams continued. But the early moments from Williams' answer were the only sign so far that perhaps some doubt has crept into the minds of Capers' players.

"Tackling, staying in the right gap and playing what's called and not trying to do more than what the defense calls for -- things like that," defensive lineman Ryan Pickett said. "We've kind of lost touch of that these last four weeks. Then it snowballs and we're where we're at right now."

They were playing well early in the year. Then the bottom fell out. So there's SOMETHING going on here. Have they given up on Dom?

After a poor Week 1 performance on the road against the San Francisco 49ers, the Packers' defense began to perform quite well -- with the exception of a lack of interceptions. Before the midway point of the season, Green Bay had played so well that its run defense was on a franchise-best pace and was ranked third in the NFL. Then, Chicago's Matt Forte, Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy, Minnesota's Adrian Peterson and Detroit's Reggie Bush all gashed the Packers for huge gains, sending Green Bay's run defense all the way down to where it currently stands at No. 26 in the league.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
hardrocker950
10 years ago
It seems to be the norm for our D to start a little slow, show life through midseason, followed by a downhill slide. This would indicate that teams are probably finding ways to exploit his schemes, and he is not adjusting accordingly.

I find the holes in the secondary to be the worst problem - which could explain why the run D has gotten worse. When other teams are torching the DBs, we are seeing LBs dropping back into coverage at times - only to get gashed with a run.

Others have mentioned that we seem to be able to either cover the pass or run - but not both. I believe a lot of that stems from what I said above. Changes are needed, but I don't see Dom making them. I think it is time to consider a replacement, or this trend will probably continue.
10 years ago
It still seems like Capers schemes like he still has Nick Collins and an elite Tramon Williams
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago
when I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of this

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 years ago

when I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of this

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: sschind 

The DEFENSE is pretty revolting.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago
depends on the angle the writer wants for his story .

Players defend Dom Capers, scheme 

You can find people willing to criticize Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers in a variety of places.

On talk radio.

In internet chats.

The Packers are backing defensive coordinator Dom Capers despite their recent losing streak.

And perhaps most vocally on Twitter.

But you'd have a hard time finding many in the Packers' locker room.

From young players to veterans alike, Capers' players defended him this week as the Packers' non-winning streak -- and their defensive struggles -- have continued.

When asked whether the players still believe in their defensive coordinator and his 3-4 scheme, 34-year-old Ryan Pickett -- the most-veteran player on team -- used the word "absolutely" twice without hesitation.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
10 years ago
When Pickett is stating that they have gotten away from the scheme it's hard to blame the scheme is it not? When a defense misses 20+ tackles on top of getting away from doing their assignments it's going to mean disaster. If your not where your supposed to be or making the tackle when you are I don't care what scheme you run.

Earlier in the year when they were all doing what they were supposed to be doing nobody could run on them. The real question here is why have the players chosen to get away from what they are supposed to be doing when it was working very well. It would be different if the defense had not been stopping the run at any point but that is not the case here.

I am quite certain in the film evaluation it is obvious players are consistently getting away from their assignment. One player doing this will create an open lane for the rb.

Are they pressing because it's on the D to make up for Rodgers? I don't know. I don't think, however, you could get a single player to say "we're following the scheme and executing it just like we were when we were 5th in run D but it just doesn't work now".

Until they become more disciplined, follow their assignments, and actually finish by making a tackle I don't see how a player can question Capers. When they were doing these things it was working fine.

"The train is leaving the station."
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I'll say it again, Capers' scheme - actually schemes - are compensation. The Packers just don't have the talent on defense to line up in a plain vanilla defense and stop other teams. When we go against a team with an elite RB, Capers conjures up something to stop that - and by necessity, leaves it vulnerable to a passing attack. If we go against a passing team, there is virtually no pass rush from our front three or even with one LB coming most of the time, so to get a pass rush, Capers has to get creative. There again, you give up coverage.

A lot of people with short memories don't seem to recall the days of Sanders and Slowik and Donatel - the whining was profuse back then for something creative. As bad as the Packers D is now, it would be far worse if we simply played teams like we did back then.

As for players revolting, talk of that is just plain stupid. These guys are pros, and wouldn't do that under any circumstances, but more than that, they can see the obvious situation as well as anybody else - except maybe some media fools and a few in here that eat that shit up.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
play2win
10 years ago

When Pickett is stating that they have gotten away from the scheme it's hard to blame the scheme is it not? When a defense misses 20+ tackles on top of getting away from doing their assignments it's going to mean disaster. If your not where your supposed to be or making the tackle when you are I don't care what scheme you run.

Earlier in the year when they were all doing what they were supposed to be doing nobody could run on them. The real question here is why have the players chosen to get away from what they are supposed to be doing when it was working very well. It would be different if the defense had not been stopping the run at any point but that is not the case here.

I am quite certain in the film evaluation it is obvious players are consistently getting away from their assignment. One player doing this will create an open lane for the rb.

Are they pressing because it's on the D to make up for Rodgers? I don't know. I don't think, however, you could get a single player to say "we're following the scheme and executing it just like we were when we were 5th in run D but it just doesn't work now".

Until they become more disciplined, follow their assignments, and actually finish by making a tackle I don't see how a player can question Capers. When they were doing these things it was working fine.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

warhawk, I wonder about what our run D really was, before meeting up with some top talents from CHI, PHI, NYG, MIN and the good game Reggie Bush had on us. When we beat DET and MIN I think both Bush and Peterson were injured, or coming off of injuries? WAS was in too deep a hole to run. Same with CLE. SF had Kaepernick deciding to do away with us through the air this time, 413 and 3 TDs.

A healthy Matt Forte, Bush and Peterson, along with a top back like McCoy kind of reset our ranking, probably in a more realistic place. So, I wonder how much it was Dom's scheme working.

As a longtime fan, I trust what I see pretty much, and our D has been predictable for years. We are clearly without top talent on the DL, at LB and at S, and have had some of the same holes at those spots for years. Our D has been a laughing stock, and set NFL records on the wrong side of the ledger. I think it is human nature for these guys to have some backlash on a scheme that again is failing miserably. I don't really fault them much. Williams and Pick are vets who are pretty much playing this PC in the press.
warhawk
10 years ago
It certainly didn't hurt to have an offense that was good enough to make teams deviate from their plan. On the other hand having a D that was proficient at stopping the run was a big plus and had to contribute to early leads too. After all, if teams back in the early part of the year could have run the ball better it would have inhibited Aaron and the boys from building those big leads.

Your right, historically speaking over the last three years there wasn't a lot of positives on defense but THIS year, early on, the run D was consistently getting it done.

I think the big guys on the DL are worn down physically and mentally. The offense hasn't provided much help there either. I'm hoping that with the 10 days between games which is the longest they have had in two months helps rejuvenate the D and certainly expect a better effort then what we saw in Detroit.
There's not just the season on the line here but pride as well. That can't hurt.

"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.