play2win
10 years ago
Figure there has to be more to this than Vince Young's athleticism or ability to pick up the system. He looked like he had done an admirable job given only 4 weeks of action in the system.

There has to be something more than just poor mechanics/ball security.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
Vince Young wasn't that good and didn't show anything special. Yes, he has a stronger arm than Graham Harrell, but so do half of you. Young was slow with decision making and didn't throw his WR open, even on short routes.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

Figure there has to be more to this than Vince Young's athleticism or ability to pick up the system. He looked like he had done an admirable job given only 3 weeks of action in the system.

There has to be more.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Well, I do recall reading him berating others openly during practices. Specifically, it was the backups trying to make the cut. Might have perceived him crossing the line/screwing up attempts by coaches to coach the players.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
play2win
10 years ago
True. His delivery was very slow and deliberate, easily recognized. I just thought he offered so much more potential.
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I'm very pleased with the decisions the Packers made at almost every position. The glaring exception is cutting Vince Young. I can understand not wanting to cut Coleman and risk losing him, but they could have kept 3 QBs. Nobody could adequately replace Aaron Rodgers if he got hurt either short term or long term. However, Young playing a role similar to Kaepernick could have at least given it a shot - that plus the added dimension of a running QB in those very very few circumstances when the O Line just gets so pathetic that even Rodgers has a bad day (I remember a game like that against Detroit a couple of years ago).
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago

I'm very pleased with the decisions the Packers made at almost every position. The glaring exception is cutting Vince Young. I can understand not wanting to cut Coleman and risk losing him, but they could have kept 3 QBs. Nobody could adequately replace Aaron Rodgers if he got hurt either short term or long term. However, Young playing a role similar to Kaepernick could have at least given it a shot - that plus the added dimension of a running QB in those very very few circumstances when the O Line just gets so pathetic that even Rodgers has a bad day (I remember a game like that against Detroit a couple of years ago).

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Who do you cut to keep that 3rd QB though? I think Coleman makes it to practice squad without any issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers are doing some shenanigans here. Cut Coleman after week 1. Toss him to PS. Resign Young and then I believe his contract isn't guaranteed. Saves the Packers money and increases the chances of retaining Coleman.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago
That the Packers would want a better backup than Vince Young doesn't surprise me. What does surprise me is that they think, at least in the short run, that B.J. Coleman has shown he is that better backup.

Coleman has shown exactly what since he became a Packer? Okay, so maybe Young showed nothing more than his running ability this preseason. That's still more than Coleman showed.

So we're saying that Coleman's NCAA showing two years ago (that was only enough to garner him a late round pick) is more potential as a fill in for Rodgers than Young's pro winning percentage?

I know this has a lot of Packer fans and journalists talking Matt Flynn return. And that would be an upgrade. But I don't see that happening; I doubt Ted will be able to get him for less than a fourth and probably a third. Maybe a fifth and a top backup. But I don't see Ted spending that much.

If Rodgers goes down for any length of time, the reality is that the Packers are hosed regardless. But to me, Coleman filling in for even 2-3 games scares the crap out of me. Maybe he'll eventually be the next star, but to this point his "potential", based on his action in green/gold to date, seems more of the hope and prayer variety.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
10 years ago

Who do you cut to keep that 3rd QB though? I think Coleman makes it to practice squad without any issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers are doing some shenanigans here. Cut Coleman after week 1. Toss him to PS. Resign Young and then I believe his contract isn't guaranteed. Saves the Packers money and increases the chances of retaining Coleman.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sounds good, but ... what if Rodgers goes down early in the season, e.g. in week one? Then to save a few hundred grand, you have the lost the week of continuity in which Young could have had studying the playbook, watching Rodgers, conversation with coaches and teammates.

If Ted Thompson really thinks one week is going to make it that much easier to stash Coleman, tell Coleman he'll get $X greater on the Packers PS than if he signs to be a third stringer somewhere else.

Better to keep Young and try to get someone better, IMO.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
GoPack1984
10 years ago
I'm having a hard time figuring this out. None of the QBs in camp (Harrell, Young, and Coleman) looked good enough to be the no. 2 QB in my opinion. That said Harrell has been the no.2 for the last couple of years and we have come to find out that he probably wasn't the best guy to have in that position. I wouldn't be surprised if Ted Thompson stuck with Coleman as the backup. Like someone else already mentioned, the team is screwed one way or the other without Rodgers as the QB.

Maybe they'll bring in Greg McElroy or re-sign Harrell though neither one would really help.
blank
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
I don't know about the possibility of Coleman clearing waivers and making it to the PS, but the fact that they kept him kinda says they thought it was a risk. As for the idea of cutting and then re-signing Young in a couple of weeks, what would be gained? I don't think his previous contract was all that big. As for the badness or unreadiness of either Young or Coleman, with the possible exception of a series or two in the last preseason game, they were behind horribly bad O Line play that didn't allow any hope of a running game and didn't give them any decent time to set up - even against the scrubs of other teams for the most part (Aaron Rodgers might say "welcome to my world"). Young is uniquely qualified to make plays with his feet in that circumstance. I wish (and still hold out slim hope) he would be around to do that - as insurance against injury to Rodgers and as an occasional change of pace.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
Fan Shout
beast (9h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (10h) : damn those vikings
beast (11h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (11h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (11h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (11h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (18h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (19h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.