steveishere
10 years ago
QB2
Aaron Rodgers
Vincent Young
- Would have loved to put Coleman on here but he looks like he's had no improvement at all. Hopefully Vince can be a little more reliable once he's on the team for a little while and shakes some rust of otherwise it's a pretty bad situation.

RB5
Eddie Lacy
Alex Green
James Starks
Jonathan Franklin
Johnny Kuhn
- Franklin showed last night he's simply not ready for the RB responsibilities. He was ok running the ball but they were also giving him favorable running plays and letting him get in space. I would have like to see more and I think he'll spend most of the year inactive

WR5
Jordy Nelson
James Jones
Randall Cobb
Jarrett Boykin
Jeremy Ross
- I don't see them keeping more than 5 and the only way I see them keeping 6 is if they hang onto Johnson for his potential. None of the other guys have done anything particularly special and none seem to have a very high ceiling. All others (Ross falls under this too) are probably easily replaceable by guys off the street or other teams PS.

TE4
Jermichael "butterfingers" Finley
Matthew Mulligan
Ryan Taylor
Brandon Bostick
- This is one of the toughest position groups to choose because nobody stands out besides Finley (I think he's in line for the big year we've all been expecting). I don't see keeping 5 but I could see them keeping 3. Quarless is my bubble guy if they end up trading Bostick or something, Williams' time is up. I went with Bostick because he seems like the most likely to be able to step in for Finley (if he misses time) without completely altering the scheme.

OL7
David Bakhtiari
Josh Sitton
EDS
TJ Lang
Don Barclay
Marshall Newhouse
GVR
- 7 seems like a low number but anyone they keep behind these guys is easily replaceable with PS players anyways so might as well save a roster spot. This group looks really light but that's what happens when 3 guys you'd expect to make the roster are gone before the first game.
(23)

DL7 1/2
BJ Raji
Ryan Pickett
Datone Jones
CJ Wilson
Mike Daniels
Johnny Jolly
Josh Boyd
Mike Neal
- I like this group but wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd out since 7/8 is a lot of bodies to keep on the d-line. The group will look even better if/when Worthy comes back.

OLB4 1/2
Clay Matthews
Nick Perry
Mike Neal
Anthony Mulumba
Nate Palmer
-I liked Moses last year but he didn't really take the next step and may simply be at his ceiling which isn't good enough to keep ahead of similar prospects like Mulumba and Palmer. I think Neal looks legit as a LB and looks similar to Perry, I like that move.

ILB5
AJ Hawk
Brad Jones
Robert Francois
Jamari Lattimore
Sam Barrington
- I hate to drop Manning after only 1 season but he IMO is behind the other 3 guys and that means you gotta go. The reserves in this group have really stepped up this offseason and it looks like a good group even after losing Bishop and Smith

CB6
Tramon Williams
Sam Shields
Casey Hayward
Micah Hyde
Davon House
Jarrett Bush
- Another excellent group. Good group of starters and great looking depth. Bush is the #6 instead of being a starter in the first game so that's good. =d>

S4
Morgan Burnett
Jerron McMillian
M.D. Jennings
Chris Banjo
- Banjo played his way onto the team even if everyone was healthy and with Burnett hurting he seems even more likely to make it
(27)

ST3
Mason Crosby
Brett Goode
Tim Masthay

A little defense heavy but this team likes to try and keep the best 53 instead of trying to keep a certain number of players per position and our depth this year is on the defensive side.

On the bubble: A. Quarless, T. Manning, D. Moses, C. Johnson, L. Taylor, P. Lewis, T. Walker
Dulak
10 years ago
ya like this list - although I agree the TE position seems the most up in the air - you can see them keeping Williams and quarless and then dumping either etc ... I prefer them dumping both and going with some new guys ...

didn't see last nites game yet - but wondering if stoneburners in the mix or is he gone because that 'fumble' which would suck
like bostick hope he makes it and of course mulligan (probably butchering the spellings).

WR - I don't know how he is but I almost have a feeling that might keep Charles (is that his name ie Johnson).

corners seemed locked in also ...

beast
10 years ago

A little defense heavy but this team likes to try and keep the best 53 instead of trying to keep a certain number of players per position and our depth this year is on the defensive side.

On the bubble: A. Quarless, T. Manning, D. Moses, C. Johnson, L. Taylor, P. Lewis, T. Walker

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

That's basically what I'd like to do as well, other than maybe one more OL (not sure where to take that spot from... TE maybe? ) but I have trouble seeing Mike McCarthy going with only 23 on offense. They seem to like to keep it more balanced roster than that.

But I'd go heavy on defense on the roster keeping the top 53 guy (like your mock) then evening it out with the PS. As a number of the WRs/OL can still be placed on the PS and a TE as well.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago

That's basically what I'd like to do as well, other than maybe one more OL (not sure where to take that spot from... TE maybe? ) but I have trouble seeing Mike McCarthy going with only 23 on offense. They seem to like to keep it more balanced roster than that.

But I'd go heavy on defense on the roster keeping the top 53 guy (like your mock) then evening it out with the PS. As a number of the WRs/OL can still be placed on the PS and a TE as well.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Yeah my thinking is that the OL and WR we cut can all make it to the PS or the players we put on PS at those positions will be similar quality.
nerdmann
10 years ago
It wouldn't shock me to see them go with 7 OL.

These are guys who can all play multiple positions. Van Roten can play anywhere in the middle. Newhouse can swing to either T position. Also don't forget Lang can get it done at T in an emergency.

The whole point of the "musical chairs" Oline is that they can free up extra roster spots if they got guys at other positions they want to keep. In that case it's paying off.

Although frankly, to some degree it's a case of just flat out not having enough depth on the Oline. Not so much not having depth as having too many injuries. A guy like Datko just didn't make the cut. But then you've got guys like Bulaga and Sherrod.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
play2win
10 years ago
steveishere, I really like your idea on trimming from the OL. Sometimes it takes an unorthodox approach to fill the roster with the best possible mix of players.

I just don't see how Lattimore beats out Manning though. I've heard Lattimore has had a good camp, but it had not translated into real gametime performance since 2011.

At least, Manning has made some plays.

Overall, I'd be pretty happy with this 53.
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
While I still think he makes the 53, anyone else think Jolly is already showing signs of slowing down? I did not observe him getting any real push last night. That sack was a gimme and otherwise I really don't think he stood out in a positive way at all. I was pretty disappointed in this individual performance because I wanted to see the play improve not stay the same or get worse. Thoughts?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
OlHoss1884
10 years ago
I don't think they'll risk going with only 7 OL, and I think Starks is probably going to be cut. I think maybe they keep both Lewis and GVR, as they can both play G or C if need be.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" --Albert Einstein
Gaycandybacon
10 years ago
Here is mine

QB:
1.Arod
2.Vince Young

Idc the backup is. If Arod goes down it will be pretty much the end of our season anyways.

RB:
1.Lacy
2.Franklin
3.Green
4.Starks

I highly doubt we sign McKnight unless Ross isn't what they think he'll be returning punts. Starks is good depth, just don't start his ass. That fumble against the rams is not as bad as a fumble as people think it was.

FB:
1.John Kuhn

Easy. If you wanna improve in the running game, keep the goddamn fullback! The more blockers you have on your team the better. He can also play special teams. Makes the likes of Taylor expendable.

TE:
1.Jmike
2.Andrew Quarless
3.D.J. Williams
4.Matthew Mulligan

Look, i'm not a huge fan of Taylor.. We got PLENTY of special teams players on this team. I honestly would not call him a special teams ace. But I think this is one of the players that the coaching staff likes more than I do. Obviously there is risk for Quarless coming off an injury, that also goes for Mulligan. But I still think this is the best group to keep. It's a good mixture of run blocking and pass catching TEs. I also think they keep Williams, unless they trade him. Probably our 2nd best pass catching TE other than Quarless and Bostick(who struggled in preseason as of late)

WR:
1.Jordy Nelson
2.James Jones
3.Randall Cobb
4.Jarrett Boykin
5.Jeremy Ross

Pretty much explains it for itself.

T:
1.Bak
2.Barclay
3.Newhouse

G:
1.Josh Sitton
2.T.J. Lang
3.Lane Taylor

C:
1.EDS

6 locks, and the only backup that had a decent preseason. The final roster spot on the O/D Lines will come down to GVR and Josh Boyd. I think Josh Boyd stays with us and we can use Wilson as trade bait. I heard somewhere that Lang can play C, also Barclay has had time there as well. I really like Taylor.. (Might be the most foolish roster move but I bet we can survive one game at C with Lang, and we can snatch Patrick Lewis off the PS if need be after that if EDS goes down, or get a C off the street.) I would not also mind GVR stays with us along with Taylor.

Offensive Rank Prediction: 4th

NT:
1.Ryan Pickett
2.Johnny Jolly

DE:
1.B.J. Raji
2.Datone Jones
3.C.J. Wilson
4.Mike Daniels
5.Josh Boyd

Yea I love this DEPTH! It is for the best to get every available Lineman on this team. Since our D-Line Stunk so much last year.

MLB:
1.Brad Jones
2.A.J. Hawk
3.Rob Francois
4.Sam Barrington
5.Terrell Manning

Get rid of Lattimore. That's all I got to say.

OLB:
1.Clay Matthews
2.McPerry
3.Mike Neal
4.Nate Palmer
5.Andy Mulumba

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Neal, Palmer, and Mulumba will turn out to be better players playing OLB than Moses, Walden, and Zombo combined. Better speed, size, and natural ablity. I actually feel good about our OLB's more so than before Preseason started. That also went for the MLBs as well.

CB:
1.Tramon Williams
2.Sam Shields
3.Casey Hayward
4.Micah Hyde
5.Davon House
6.Jarrett Bush

I think it's possible for Bush to be cut with so much depth at the position. This is the most depth at a position on this team, and it's so fucking refreshing and might cancel out the lack of depth at safety.

S:
1.Morgan Burnett
2.Jeron McMillian
3.M.D. Jennings
4.Chris Banjo

I hope this is the last year Jennings is on this team. We need more size at the position, and Burnett/McMillian are the only bright spots along it. Honestly I bet Banjo would make a ton more plays than Jennings if he went in for one of 2 starting Safteys.

Defensive Rank Prediction: 8th

ST:
1.Masthay
2.Crosby
3.Goode

I really got nothing other than Crosby will be our starter..
buckeyepackfan
10 years ago

While I still think he makes the 53, anyone else think Jolly is already showing signs of slowing down? I did not observe him getting any real push last night. That sack was a gimme and otherwise I really don't think he stood out in a positive way at all. I was pretty disappointed in this individual performance because I wanted to see the play improve not stay the same or get worse. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

DR, I think they were testing Johnny, just to see if he could hold up.

He seemed to be playing almost the whole game every week.

If in Ted and mikes mind he passed the test, he will be part of a rotation to keep everyone fresh, if not then there's a good chance he will be playing somewhere else.

My opinion, he will stay in Green Bay.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (21h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
35m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.