play2win
10 years ago
Kind of interesting how the two are paralleling some here... rookie Tackle forced into the starting lineup early in the year to replace an injured veteran starter (Earl Dotson).

"Right now, Bakhtiari has an armload of athletic potential, and a need to put the finer points of the game together. It’s easy to see why McCarthy and Rodgers are impressed with him, though. While he does appear to have some limitations regarding second-level acceleration and re-direction ability, he’s a tough, ballsy, high-effort player with enough on the ball to make an impact on teammates at any level. As it was with Solder, Bakhtiari will benefit enormously from an NFL conditioning program, and the kind of coaching one only gets at this level. I believe he has the athletic temperament to surprise early on, and he may turn into a fourth-round steal sooner than anyone expected."

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/05/the-all-22-rookie-david-bakhtiari-could-surprise-as-packers-emergency-left-tackle/?sct=nfl_t2_a2 

With any luck the kid can pull it off. I like his chances. Bakhtiari and Sitton seem like a pretty good match on the left side of our OL. Both tough SOBs. I wouldn't doubt if Ted waits this out to see what the kid can do during the preseason.
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
He's starting at LT in team drills right now.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
10 years ago

He's starting at LT in team drills right now.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I think the Packers are going to take this approach until it is proven that it won't work... they have already flipped the line over earlier this offseason.. now flipping Newhouse back to the left is going to effect the line chemistry more than just inserting a rook into the left spot. If Newhouse can anchor the right side well.. then they can scheme help to the left side if needed.

Additionally, if the Packers are exploring the free agent market.. it still makes sense to let Newhouse settle into the right side without disruption.

Maybe they will add Sherrod to the left side depth...

We have 4 weeks to get this resolved.. I think at the moment.. it probably makes most sense to try a move like this first.. then get more radical if it fails..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Yerko
10 years ago
The only challenge he will have is the strength game. Not to say he isn't strong, but he lacks the NFL off-season training program. He has the footwork and technique to give is a go at LT and I think if he continues to succeed from now to the end of training camp, he might be playing next to Sitton this season (which will help tremendously).

If he does get the starting gig, his real test will come in week 1 against the 49ers pass rush. I'm pulling for him to win this left tackle position.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
10 years ago
What free agent Tackles are available?
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Pack93z
10 years ago

What free agent Tackles are available?

Originally Posted by: dhpackr 

Posted this in a thread yesterday... slim pickings.

Been trying to ignore the topic until official.. but now:

1. I hope that Mike McCarthy is truly going to incorporate the run game more into his playbook.. it will return the advantage back to the offensive line if we are a threat to run the ball on any down. Not to mention cutting down the snaps of pass protection and controlling the clock and ball.

2. Newhouse struggled against speed rushers, especially on a fast track.. if the other end can hold up decently, a good game plan can help "protect" Newhouse or whomever plays the left tackle spot in those situations.

3. The Free Agent market isn't loaded.. however a guy like Jared Gaither are out there. Here is a quick look at some of the possibilities if the Packers desire to hit the open market. Just a note.. some of the choices here haven't played in a couple years.. yikes.

Jared Gaither  - Signed to a four-year, $24.6M contract a year ago, Gaither essentially quit on the Chargers. "Big Lazy" appeared in just four games, milking back and groin injuries that the medical staff never deemed serious before landing on injured reserve. The Chargers are so down on Gaither that they're willing to take a $6M cap hit this season. The 6'9/340 behemoth immediately becomes the best talent available on the left tackle market, but that's only if he wants to play.
Winston Justice  - More of a Right Tackle than left.
Sean Locklear 
Chad Clifton
Jammal Brown 
Frank Omiyale 
Jeff Otah  - Recommitted himself to the game.. 6'6 330. Last year and still sat out.. lol.
Brandyn Dombrowski
Wayne Hunter
D'Anthony Batiste
Mario Henderson
Pat McQuistan
Lydon Murtha

4. Trade? But trade what with whom might give us an upgrade? Unlikely... unless Joe Thomas truly becomes a problem in his comments that he wants to play for a winner . 😆

Seriously though.. maybe a late cut down trade? Maybe.

5. A pickup after cut downs.. probably not going to help. At least not on the left end.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Yerko
10 years ago
The one thing I have read about Bahktiari is he has a bit of a mean streak in him. He likes to finish his blocks and has even gone far enough to run block Raji into a pile and push him over it. Not many dudes can move Raji by themselves. He is also jumping into 1-on-1 drills when Matthews is up to the plate.

Not saying this all makes for a good replacement at LT, but having those kinds of qualities this early in your professional career could lead to early success.
UserPostedImage
texaspackerbacker
10 years ago
=Tauscher may not literally have much validity. I never heard Tauscher's size was an issue, and Bakhtiari supposedly is more athletic. However, based on circumstance, yeah maybe. As for the size thing, strength would seem to be a bigger deal that mere size, and based on the post 2 or 3 ahead of this one, Bakhtiari seems to have that. Also, it seems to me, the way the game is played nowadays, size/strength is more important for a Guard. A Tackle must get up from his stance and out quickly enough to cut off a speed outside rusher or be mobile enough to adjust when that same rusher fakes outside and goes to the inside - not to mention the fact that the Guard has to deal with the biggest D Linemen in either a 3-4 or 4-3, and the Tackle most of the time is blocking the smaller faster guy. And unlike the Lombardi Era, you nowadays much more often see the Tackle loop out on a sweep instead of pulling Guards.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
DoddPower
10 years ago

NFL Comparison: David Stewart, Tennessee Titans

Sports Illustrated wrote:

This is a nice comparison here. We can only hope it turns out that well.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
10 years ago

This is a nice comparison here. We can only hope it turns out that well.

Originally Posted by: DoddPower 

more from SI .

Enter fourth-round rookie David Bakhtiari from Colorado, who was lining up behind Bulaga on the left side in training camp. The Packers also decided to move right guard Josh Sitton, their best overall offensive lineman, to the left side to help protect Rodgers’ blind side, and Bakhtiari could very well be the beneficiary of that move.

So far in practices, Bakhtiari has impressed Rodgers and head coach Mike McCarthy with his quick feet and aggressive temperament. “He’s got a ways to go, but he’s got a chance,” is how Rodgers recently put it, and that’s very astute. While there are things to be ironed out in his overall game – especially when it comes to pass protection – there’s no question that Bakhtiari comes to ring people up.

“The first day I did go against him and he rolled me back about 6 yards,” defensive end Mike Daniels told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel about Bakhtiari’s drive-blocking. “He’s a long guy. Strong kid. You can tell he’s been well-coached. He reminds me of Sitton. He’s got that real nice, cool personality, but when he gets on the field he turns into a psychopath.”

As Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN’s NFL Matchup recently told me, Bakhtiari plays shorter than he is – he’s 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds, but he comes off the ball like a 6-foot-2 guy, because he tends to bend at the waist at times. However, I would also say that he plays heavier than he is – because he has an excellent understanding of leverage, he’s able to move people in ways you’d expect of a man 25 pounds heavier.

So, what are the Packers getting as their starting left tackle out of necessity? Let’s go to the tape...

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (6h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (8h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (11h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (12h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.