MintBaconDrivel
10 years ago

GREEN BAY — Aaron Rodgers made the comment so offhandedly, as he was running through all of the wide receivers that still remain at his disposal. He wasn't singling Randall Cobb out; he was simply mentioned him first, as if going in order of most receptions last season.

"I still like the guys we've got," the Green Bay Packers quarterback said after the first open organized team activity practice of the spring, in the wake of Greg Jennings' free-agent departure and franchise all-time leading receiver Donald Driver's retirement. "We have a lot of talent at that position. I think Randall Cobb is a guy who could be a 100-plus catch guy every year. James Jones led the league in touchdown receptions last year. (And) Jordy (Nelson) has had some real big years for us.

"I like what Jarrett Boykin brings. He's a big, physical receiver who's going to get some opportunities this year. And I think he really has a great approach to the game, as does Jeremy Ross. Both those guys last year really stepped up and cared about it enough to put in a lot of extra time."

A 100-plus catch guy every year. Put into the context of how many times that's happened in Packers history, and how many receptions the team's top receiver has had during Rodgers' time as the starting quarterback, and you realize that the QB must have an awfully high opinion of Cobb to make such a statement — even after Cobb caught 80 passes for 954 yards and eight touchdowns in 15 regular-season games last season.

In Packers history, only two players have caught more than 100 passes in a season: Sterling Sharpe caught a team-record 112 passes in 1993; Sharpe caught 108 passes in 1992; and Robert Brooks caught 102 passes in 1995. A player has caught more than 85 passes in a season only five other times: Sharpe's 94 in 1994; Driver's 92 in 2006; Sharpe's 90 in 1989; Javon Walker's 89 in 2004; and Driver's 86 in 2005.

Since Rodgers took over as the starter — with his "My favorite receiver is whoever's open" mentality — only two players have even reached 80 receptions in a season: Jennings in 2008, and Cobb last year. Driver had a team-high 70 catches in 2009; Jennings led the team with 76 receptions in 2010; and Nelson caught a team-best 68 (one more than Jennings) in 2011.

And yet, 100 receptions might very well be realistic for Cobb because of how much better he can get, according to Rodgers and wide receivers coach Edgar Bennett.

"(He made) tremendous strides, but again, he can do so much more," Bennett said. "He can clean up certain areas and be even more fundamentally sound and be even more productive."

Added Rodgers: "I think the best is yet to come with him."

Cobb played 733 snaps (including playoffs) last season — 400 fewer than Jones, who played 1,149 — and while he has been savvy publicly about not complaining about his special duties, both his quarterback and his head coach have talked about the idea of pulling him from kickoff and punt returns because of his importance to the offense. Rodgers spoke openly about it late in the season last year, and coach Mike McCarthy did replace Cobb with Ross for the NFC Divisional Playoff game — with disastrous results.

Last month, McCarthy said Cobb's "special teams responsibility is really up to his teammates. There's opportunity there for others to compete and perform. And we won't know that until training camp. And hopefully (someone will) take Randall's place."

Cobb set a franchise single-season record 2,342 all-purpose yards last season, and special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum suggested that Cobb could still do both and be even more productive than he was last season. On returns, Cobb returned 38 kickoffs for 964 yards and 31 punts for 294 yards.

"Last year he did both jobs and caught 80," Slocum said. "Go look at the number of returns and the number of yards. Numbers for me are really about how you look at them, and we can turn them a number of ways to evaluate them — which we will. We'll hypothetically come up with a bunch of scenarios. We're just trying to find the best combination and what we want to do."

The truth of the matter is that Cobb, even in the Packers' spread-the-wealth passing game, is the one player on offense beyond Rodgers that the team can't afford to lose for an extended period of time. If the coaches don't feel he's being put at unnecessary risk on returns — and the team's history would suggest that the coaches don't see returns as inherently more dangerous — then he'll be back there.

For his part, the mature-beyond-his-years Cobb is simply focused on being productive — no matter what his roles are.

"You can always improve. I've always said you can never really reach your full potential so I always try to continue to climb that mountain," Cobb said. "In the offseason, I've definitely worked a lot on my route running and trying to perfect my craft.

"It doesn't matter to me as long as we're getting wins. Whatever it's going to take ... is what I'm down to do. If that's returning, great. If not, great. Whatever it's going to take for us.

Jason Wilde  wrote:

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (1h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (14h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (14h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (19h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (19h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (19h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.