wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Which is why I'd like to never have salaries made public.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

works for me.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago

Absolutely. No matter what he says it is about the money.

Pro players have this distorted idea if they don't get every nickle that is sitting on the table they are some how being disrespected. That the only true measure of respect is in the form of monetary compensation.

They also feel that they have to not only take care of their immediate needs that they have to have enough money to take care of their kids to the 10th generation needs as well. They kind of forget that they became successful by busting their butt and working hard. For some reason they don't want their family to have to do the same.

Since the advocate of obscenely big money for payers, how many kids have followed their father's career path and became a successful professional player? Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Bonds? Are there others. And their dads were well paid but I don't think they were paid exorbitantly. I know CM3 is a 3rd gen NFL player (with cousins waiting int he wings) but his dad/uncle/grandfather didn't have break the bank deals.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

First of all, what they make is NOTHING compared to what the owners make. Or the advertisers. Fair market value is fair market value.

Second of all, these players are under pressure by the union to negotiate solid contracts, because what they get sets the bar for other players. You're not just negotiating for yourself. You're standing up for all your fellow brothers.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

First of all, what they make is NOTHING compared to what the owners make. Or the advertisers. Fair market value is fair market value.

Second of all, these players are under pressure by the union to negotiate solid contracts, because what they get sets the bar for other players. You're not just negotiating for yourself. You're standing up for all your fellow brothers.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

yeah yeah yeah. If they want to make what the owners make they need to put their own money into the kitty and buy a franchise.

There is no doubt both sides make way too much money. Wouldn't it be great if both made half as much as what they do and jerseys, shoes and concession sales cost us, the ones who really foot the bill for both sides, half as much?

I thought we teach our children to stand on their own feet and don't buckle under peer pressure. I guess it doesn't count when it comes to the almighty union.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
11 years ago

Absolutely. No matter what he says it is about the money.

Pro players have this distorted idea if they don't get every nickle that is sitting on the table they are some how being disrespected. That the only true measure of respect is in the form of monetary compensation.

They also feel that they have to not only take care of their immediate needs that they have to have enough money to take care of their kids to the 10th generation needs as well. They kind of forget that they became successful by busting their butt and working hard. For some reason they don't want their family to have to do the same.

Since the advocate of obscenely big money for payers, how many kids have followed their father's career path and became a successful professional player? Ken Griffey Jr, Barry Bonds? Are there others. And their dads were well paid but I don't think they were paid exorbitantly. I know CM3 is a 3rd gen NFL player (with cousins waiting int he wings) but his dad/uncle/grandfather didn't have break the bank deals.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Well for one thing you have no clue what Jennings teaches his kids. Also being a successful NFL player takes a hell of a lot more than a strong work ethic and a parent who played. First the kid has to be male, then he has to have enough talent, then he has to actually want to be a professional athlete, then he has to work his butt off.

Pro players have a very limited window in their lives of being able to make this much money. Now Jennings who has won a Superbowl and had a huge part in it only has 1 more chance to sign a decent contract. If I were in his shoes I would take as much money as I could get now too. It's not like he was a malcontent or held out or complained about his other contract or something. The guy kept quiet and worked his butt off for the team and honored the contracts he did sign. Now another team is probably going to pay him more than Green Bay is willing to and people have a problem with him taking that?
gbguy20
11 years ago

Not that I think Greg is as bad as Sprewall is here but I guess they must feed their families gold nuggets or something.

Originally Posted by: JustinAVA182 

I was going to bring sprewell into this conversation, why do u gotta beat me to it?
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Well for one thing you have no clue what Jennings teaches his kids.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

where did I say I did? I was speaking about what we as a whole society teach our children not specifically what Jennings his children.

Also being a successful NFL player takes a hell of a lot more than a strong work ethic and a parent who played. First the kid has to be male, then he has to have enough talent, then he has to actually want to be a professional athlete, then he has to work his butt off.

huh. I guess I had better write that down. Because I did not know that one. My point was about pro sports as a whole. That we don't see kids (young men) follow in the parents (fathers duh) footsteps like they did in the past. It was more common in MLB than the NFL but after the mega deals it seems to have virtually stopped all together. You would have had a better argument if you said that not enough time had past for this to be accurate. (It is not exactly true since mega deals have been around since the 80's but the sample size of 30 + years is sure a lot less than 100+ years and I would have given partial credit for this answer.)

Pro players have a very limited window in their lives of being able to make this much money. Now Jennings who has won a Superbowl and had a huge part in it only has 1 more chance to sign a decent contract. If I were in his shoes I would take as much money as I could get now too. It's not like he was a malcontent or held out or complained about his other contract or something. The guy kept quiet and worked his butt off for the team and honored the contracts he did sign. Now another team is probably going to pay him more than Green Bay is willing to and people have a problem with him taking that?

I know what the window of opportunity is in the NFL. I don't need you to inform me of it like I am an idiot or something.

I have already posted many times I don't begrudge Jennings making more elsewhere and that I wish him all the best. I was speaking to this article where he says he "needs to make his family comfortable". The truth is his family would be "comfortable" at $1 mil a year. (The kids would have to have real jobs when they grow up but they would never know want.) 99.99% of the people in the world would be "comfortable" with a fraction of that much. But you know and I know he won't settle for just $1 mil. He has also said or implied he is looking for more. A whole lot more. I have seen $10 mil a year. I have seen $12 mil a year as the numbers he is looking for. My comment today is more along the lines of "don't p!ss on my leg and then try to tell me it is raining." Just let him say he wants $10 a year.

Don't list the coach as the number one choice in your criteria and QB as #2. (or imply it as the story does.) If he only gets 2 offers: GB offers him $5 a year and the Jets offer him $10 a year, don't sugest that he wouldn't go to NYJ. He would in a heartbeat. He would opt for a team that has some QB issues. That has team turmoil that may not even have the same HC next year. It is all about the money so he should just say so.

UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago
So if he wants a good quarterback, why was he "reaching out" to Miami???

:-k
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (27m) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (30m) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (31m) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (1h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (1h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (12h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (13h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (14h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (14h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (21h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (21h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.