Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20080911&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=80911109&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=318&Border=0[/img_r]No one knows better than Allen Barbre that a golden opportunity has passed him by.

Entering training camp, the second-year pro seemed to have the inside track on Daryn Colledge to be the Green Bay Packers left guard.

Then, rookie Josh Sitton emerged as a starting candidate.

Then, Sitton got hurt and Colledge regained his job.

Then, center Scott Wells went down and Tony Moll took over the fifth spot on the offensive line.

Somewhere in there, Barbre became the 305-pound invisible man.

So, what happened?

You know, maybe it just didnt work out, the soft-spoken Barbre said this week. Daryn, he competed. I think hes done a good job. We got the team better.

To be honest with you, its not my decision who starts. But I just can keep working hard and take care of what I can take care of.

That includes being more consistent in his assignments and improving his inside technique, which remains a work-in-progress 16 months after he commenced his transition from left tackle the position he played almost exclusively during an all-America career at Division II Missouri Southern to left guard.

A fourth-round draft pick in 2007, Barbre is noticeably more chiseled than he was as a rookie, thanks to an improved diet and major strides made in the offseason strength and conditioning program. He also says hes grown comfortable with the quickness and congestion of the interior. But he didnt show enough in camp to earn him the nod over Colledge, who has the benefit of 35 NFL starts, or keep him ahead of Sitton and Moll.

Trying to work hard, and then not achieving your goal, its just going to push you to work harder, Barbre said. Thats how Ive got to look at it.

The way things have gone for the line so far, Barbre might get another chance sooner than later.

Sitton hasnt practiced since spraining the medial collateral ligament in his left knee in the Aug. 22 preseason game at Denver, and Wells status remains tenuous as he tries to get his recurring lower back problem under control. The only other backup lineman is rookie tackle Breno Giacomini, who isnt ready to play, so one more injury or perhaps a poor showing by Moll would get Barbre on the field.

The opportunitys coming, Barbre said. Its the National Football League. People do get hurt. I wouldnt wish that upon anyone on my team, but you just never know.

Grant questionable?
[ul]The Packers will wait to see how starting running back Ryan Grant looks in practice Friday before deciding whether hell play on Sunday at Detroit.

I know Ryan wants to play, and his communication will be that hell want to play, Im sure, McCarthy said of Grant, who has battled a sore hamstring for a month. But once he practices (Friday), the information from how he feels Saturday morning factors into it, and (team doctor) Pat McKenzie, Ted (Thompson, the general manager) and I will make a decision.

Grant rushed for 92 yards on only 12 carries in Mondays opening win over Minnesota, but he left the game after his 57-yard run in the fourth quarter and hasnt practiced the past two days. He said on Thursday theres no question in his mind hell play against the Lions.

Asked whether hes given any thought to taking a week or two off to recover, Grant cut off the question. No, no, no, he said. As long as I dont do any more damage to it, I should be OK.

Grant also is sporting a shiner over his right eye, the product of a hit that bashed his helmet into his forehead on Monday.

Backup running back Brandon Jackson (concussion) participated in the jog-through before departing for rehab, leaving undrafted rookie Kregg Lumpkin to take all the snaps during team drills for the second consecutive day. McCarthy said he would be surprised if Jackson isnt cleared to play on Sunday.[/ul]

Health watch
[ul]Backup safety Aaron Rouse sprained an ankle in practice, casting into question his availability for Sundays game.

I dont know much yet, Rouse said.

Like Rouse, linebacker Brandon Chillar (back) was added to the injury report as a limited participant in practice, but Chillar said he merely has tightness and plans to practice Friday. Safety Atari Bigby (bicep), Grant and Jackson also were listed as limited.

Wells, Sitton and cornerback Charles Woodson (broken toe) did not participate. Sitton is out for Sunday and Wells almost certainly wont play, while Woodson is expected to start.

Five players were listed on the injury report as full participants: tackle Chad Clifton (knees), end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee), receivers James Jones (knee) and Ruvell Martin (finger) and safety Charlie Peprah.

Martin practiced with a large, club-like cast on his fractured left hand and was catching balls one-handed.

Detroit again listed three players on the injury report: linebackers Paris Lenon (knee, full participation) and Ernie Sims (ankle, limited) and backup quarterback Drew Stanton (right thumb, limited).
[/ul]
Kicking it
[ul]Place-kicker Mason Crosby confirmed his kick was low on the 33-yard field-goal attempt that was blocked at the end of the first half on Monday.

A playing field moistened by afternoon showers didnt help.

It was a little slick, said Crosby, who hit a 42-yarder earlier in the half and had two touchbacks on five kickoffs.

My cleats did all right. It was a bit mushy, and I felt like on that one in particular, I could tell I kind of sunk down and I might have hit the ground a little bit behind the ball.

It was the second time in 43 NFL field-goal attempts Crosby has had a kick blocked. The other also was the result of a low kick at Lambeau Field, on a 49-yarder against the Carolina Panthers last Nov. 18. Julius Peppers got that one in the middle of the line; Cedric Griffin had Mondays from the offensive left edge.

Mondays game was Crosbys first with new long snapper Brett Goode and new holder Derrick Frost. He echoed McCarthys sentiment that the operation was smooth.

The snaps seemed to be right on the spot and (Frost) was putting the ball down quick and getting it there for me, Crosby said. Its just a process. Weve just got to keep working on that comfort level, and Ive just got to make sure I attack the ball and make sure I hit it the same way.[/ul]
Etc.
[ul]Adrian Peterson cracked the 100-yard mark on Monday, but co-defensive line coach Robert Nunn was pleased with his units performance against the Vikings star running back.

He broke the big run there in the first half, but we had him pretty well contained, Nunn said. If you do that, youre playing. Theres not going to be a lot of people that do that.[/ul]

UserPostedImage
gbpfan
15 years ago
glad crosby is getting better with his new guys nunn is right they kept peterson in check,and i think the colts will have a tough time with him :icon_smile:
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.