Rockmolder
11 years ago
Green Bay Packers 

by Matt Miller

Best Pick: Safety Jeron McMillian

The Green Bay Packers are in the discussion for which team has had the best production so far from their 2012 draft class. This group is loaded.

First-rounder Nick Perry is starting at outside linebacker. Second-rounder Jerel Worthy is getting major minutes at defensive end. Third-rounder Casey Hayward should be starting opposite Tramon Williams. Fourth-rounder Jeron McMillian has been the best rookie find of the entire class.

The national media hasn't picked up on this yet, but McMillian has been amazing for the Packers' defense. Through four weeks, Pro Football Focus ranks McMillian as the fifth best safety in the NFL. And he was the team's fourth-round pick.

The Packers have outdone themselves with this draft class. And that's saying something.

Grade: A+

zombieslayer
11 years ago
Good job 🇹🇹. Yeah, the 2012 D > 2011 D already. By far.

(Weren't the first 6 picks D?)
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

sí.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
11 years ago
I'm a little dissappointed so far with Perry and Worthy but excited about the guys in the backend.
I'm confident that Perry and Worthy will both come around and be productive as they gain experience and confidence.
This was a very good and much needed draft class for the Packers.
B+
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

And the 2012 roster has three starters from the 2010 Draft Class.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
11 years ago
I too hoped for a little more from Perry but it is a new position for him so I figure it will take him some time. I think he has faced some injuries issues as well has he not? One thing that makes me smile a bit is that anyone who writes a story can slant it the way they want to justify their position. Technically Perry is the starter but Walden is getting a lot more playing time. I went to football outsiders  to see what their snap counts are. Ignoring the first week when Walden was suspended, Perry was played 74 snaps or 38% of the time. Walden 119 snaps or 61%.

Worthy is more or less where I expected him to be. I would have loved to have him step up and dominate but that wasn't going to happen.

Hayward has been doing fine with what they have asked him to do. I don't see him in week 5 being better than Shields but he can be before it is all done.

I have been very pleased with McMillian. I have no expectations for a 4th round pick in his first year.

Like it has been said before it takes several years to really evaluate a draft.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
11 years ago
McMillian has played great! It seems like this kid is always around the ball (reminds me of Nick Collins). Its a good thing when a 4th round draft pick is making that big of an impact.

As for Worthy and Perry. Its not like they are completely sucking it up. I see Worthy (and Daniels) battling every time they are on the field. These guys will continually take strides from season to season. I am anxious to see what kind of player Nick Perry becomes. I think he has the potential to be a poor man's DeMarcus Ware, which alright by me.

Hayward plays the ball extremely well. He swatted a ball down to Jimmy Graham, preventing another possible 3rd down conversion.

The rookies are working hard.

B+ right now.
UserPostedImage
Rios39
11 years ago
The secondary has played much better than the line and LB's we drafted. We need a better push up the middle and you'd expect that from Worthy and Daniels. Perry is only using a bull rush move. Which is a good move but can be slow getting to the QB from the OLB position. Upshall is having the same problem in Baltimore. He's going to have to try to make moves to the outside or even far inside so that his bull rush power isn't so predictable.
blank
warhawk
11 years ago
I think you have to give this group an A when you look at how the defense has improved and how many rookies might be in there on any given play. I remember the last game the announcer pointed out there were five rookies on the field.
It only makes sense with such a high number of young players the D will only get better and could be a real difference maker for us late in the season. Of course, that remains to be seen, but compared to last year when there just didn't seem to be any answer these young guys are sure hanging in there and there is valid hope they can improve.

The really good defensive teams are good because most all of the players are veterans that have played together for awhile. One or two imports but mostly intact. The Packers don't have that right now but with a little patience and an occasional Brees in their face they will get there.
"The train is leaving the station."
Cheesey
11 years ago
Worthy and Perry will be OK.
It's very rare that a rookie can come in and be a force right away. I think by the half way point in the season, they will be making big plays.
There's a learning curve, and they have been thrown into the fire right away.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.