doddpower
11 years ago

Great post bro!

Uh, I gotta say right now, we have seen WRs and RBs running free through the middle of our defense for over a year. I think our staff needs to address the gaping hole there in AJ Hawk. I mentioned in another thread the notion of "falling in love with your guys," well, this is the number 1 prime example. We cannot continue to leave a mistake like that out there, uncorrected. If he can't get the job done, replace him with someone who will. The onus to fix this is on both Ted and Mike.

When was the last time you saw AJ Hawk make a game changing play to secure a win, or change the course of a game in our favor? I cannot name one. I like the guy fine, but it appears he is a glaring weakness in our defense. Slow, and not a playmaker. The sooner we address this the better.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I agree there needs to be an improvement, but do you think there's any option on the roster that could replace Hawk and be better overall, currently? It's often not as simple as just "fixing it." The Packer's have been trying, it just hasn't worked out yet. Obviously the Bishop injury doesn't help things either.

zombieslayer
11 years ago

As long as we finish strong, that is what matters most. I would think this team was humbled, but I hope they learn from their mistakes and start accumulating successes from this point forward.

It is so funny looking at the whole picture. Most of us become enamored with players we've either added, or who have another year's experience in our system. We expect results, almost immediately. But, it doesn't work that way. This particular team is reminding me a bit of that 2010 team. A lot of young players at super important positions. I'll never forget thinking how we were done after the Lions loss that year. The following week we lose a close one to NE. We played well, almost won but didn't. I thought for certain we were toast.

Then we started the improbable run.

An awful lot has to happen to right this ship, but I do think our talent level improved over last season. We shouldn't forget that we are still in recovery mode from the loss of Nick Collins. Bishop being IR before the season even begins did us no favors. Still trying to find that player who will produce like Cullen Jenkins did for us on the line. Maybe we did in fact add that player in the draft, but we won't realize until after he develops further in the system. Strength, conditioning, instruction, practice at the craft... familiarization with the system, knowing your place. All of those things are developed over time.

I think we'll be OK and I'll continue to hope for the best. I'll be thrilled if we are better than 2-2 after week 4.

Great post.

Two things can turn this D around:
1) pass rush. 4 sacks seemed like a lot, but it was just that - 4 sacks. Nothing else. Smith wasn't threatened. It was like the 3 sacks the Steelers had on 🇦🇷 in the SB. They were meaningless sacks. One of the sacks, the Niners immediately converted to a first down.

No, we need the opposing QB to get scared. We need to get inside his head. Look back at last year's SB and watch how Tom Brady got so nervous, he couldn't think straight.

That's the team we need to be on D - the Giants of '07 or '11 or the Packers in '10. We need CM3 to stand over the opposing QB and do his Predator imitation. And the opposing QB to almost crap in his pants.

2) Communication among the DBs. They looked lost all game and it was this that made Alex Smith look like Tom Brady. They had guys open all day long. Heck, my Grandma would have had a pretty good rating Sunday.

These 2 things happen and we'll have an average D, which with this O could be enough to pull a 2009 Saints.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
play2win
11 years ago

I agree there needs to be an improvement, but do you think there's any option on the roster that could replace Hawk and be better overall, currently? It's often not as simple as just "fixing it." The Packer's have been trying, it just hasn't worked out yet. Obviously the Bishop injury doesn't help things either.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Hmmm. On the roster? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, that is one giant weakness that teams have been exploiting. I know it is not simple to fix, but it is their job to address this and get it fixed. I don't care how they do it. Make a trade (not saying "trade Hawk," because he is essentially untradeable). Promote from within if possible. We've got Lattimore, Francois, Manning, Jones and Moses.

We've all heard AJ Hawk is good for getting the rest of the guys lined up properly and calling the D. Well, what else does he bring? Because I haven't really seen it.

Ted gave him insane money, and now he has to own up to that mistake. Or, we'll continue to be thrashed in the middle of our D. That has been really tough to watch.
blueleopard
11 years ago
They definitely do lack leadership. It probably doesn't mean anything, but with all those clips to the sideline I don't see Charles, Clay, or B.J. rallying the troops. They're just sitting there watching Aaron try to win.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
buckeyepackfan
11 years ago

Hmmm. On the roster? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, that is one giant weakness that teams have been exploiting. I know it is not simple to fix, but it is their job to address this and get it fixed. I don't care how they do it. Make a trade (not saying "trade Hawk," because he is essentially untradeable). Promote from within if possible. We've got Lattimore, Francois, Manning, Jones and Moses.

We've all heard AJ Hawk is good for getting the rest of the guys lined up properly and calling the D. Well, what else does he bring? Because I haven't really seen it.

Ted gave him insane money, and now he has to own up to that mistake. Or, we'll continue to be thrashed in the middle of our D. That has been really tough to watch.

Well let's see, Hawk led the team in tackles Sunday, when he did get locked up on a wr , the catch might have been made but I didn't see the wr going anywhere after the catch.

I really. really do wish The Packers would bench and/or cut A.J Hawk, then we would see just how valuable he is.

I'm gonna ask it ONE MORE TIME, AND I want a fuckin' answer,

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T TED THOMPSON LET A.J. HAWK GO 2 YEARS AGO WHEN HE HAD HIS CHANCE?????

Hell Hawk was ready to go, he had his house up for sale, he had Cleveland, Cincinnati, that i personally know of, and there were probably other teams just waiting for him to become a FA.

You say Ted Thompson "GAVE" Hawk insane money. WHY? From what I have seen from Ted, he doesn't just willy nilly throw money around.

A.J. Hawk is not the problem, the problem is the revolving door that seems to be the other LB'ing positions on this team.

But you just keep right on believing A.J. Hawk is the problem.

This reminds me when some on this forum kept screaming how we needed to upgrade our running game by replacing Ryan Grant a few years ago.

Look what has happened since Grants injury, other than a few weeks in 2010, The Packers haven't had that guy who could grind out the tough yards and keep the D honest.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
macbob
11 years ago

Well let's see, Hawk led the team in tackles Sunday, when he did get locked up on a wr , the catch might have been made but I didn't see the wr going anywhere after the catch.

A.J. Hawk is not the problem, the problem is the revolving door that seems to be the other LB'ing positions on this team.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Buckeye-agree with you 100% AJ was NOT the problem Sun. I was very impressed with his presence-he seemed to be all over the field, and often involved near/at/behind the line of scrimmage.

I thought AJ played great on Sun.

I thought some of our issues were growing pains that the 49ers expected and targeted. Nick Perry was targeted in coverage, Bush was targeted in coverage, the middle of the field was targeted (that's long been a week spot in Capers' defense). Some things will get better (Perry), but may take a while. This was the first game, I'm not going to hit the panic button on the Defense yet, but I'm going to have a quicker trigger than I would have last year given our D performance in 2011.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
If all other teams have to do is motion their FB out wide and Tramon automatically covers HIM, with Perry automatically lining up on the WRs, then it's going to be a long, long fucking season.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Packerchick
11 years ago

I think the loss humbled *some* of the team (looks at Jarrett Bush's CM3 type comment). I think Mike McCarthy is laying it on the team these few days in between games. I really, really hope that Woodson takes it upon himself to fix any possible miscommunications in the defensive backfield.

Sunday was unacceptable and if the team sees it that way, then I think we see a different team on Thursday night.

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

Sometimes I hate to say, we are due to be served a piece of humble pie now and then. But the pack should come out hungry tomorrow night. Humble pie should be a motivator.

I am a woman and I love football.
Pack93z
11 years ago
Some select quotes from an article today.. looks like Williams is sending a message.. subtle but a message no less.

Full Story Here ..

"There's competitive situations that go on throughout your football team all season," coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday as the team prepared for its Thursday night game against the Chicago Bears. "Some you'd like to see rectified earlier than others.

"But we still don't play with just 11 players on offense and defense. It's really part of that."

It is also because no single player has stood out so much that Capers feels he has to have him on the field every game.

It's a situation where the three mainstays are waiting for the others to catch up so the defense can stop letting quarterbacks like Alex Smith post passer ratings of 125.6.

"It is, but at the end of the day, we've been young for a long time," Williams said. "We can't keep using the same excuse. Guys have to step up. Whenever that guy steps up, whoever that might be, you'll know. We're a work in progress."

McCarthy dismissed the notion that all the rotating in the secondary was affecting continuity, and his message earlier in the week was that players with specific roles have to make sure they're doing them regardless of how small they might be.

"I definitely don't think it's an inhibitor," McCarthy said of rotating players. "All players would like to be on the field the full time the defense or offense is on the field. I understand that and maybe it would help them get in a rhythm.

"But frankly, the players are responsible for their performance in a competitive situation and how much they're going to play."

What McCarthy is facing is part of the pitfalls of remaking the roster each year with large numbers of rookies. It takes time for those players to develop, and aside from Woodson there isn't a single guy in the secondary who made an impact in the NFL his rookie season.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
play2win
11 years ago

I really. really do wish The Packers would bench and/or cut A.J Hawk, then we would see just how valuable he is.

I'm gonna ask it ONE MORE TIME, AND I want a fuckin' answer,

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T TED THOMPSON LET A.J. HAWK GO 2 YEARS AGO WHEN HE HAD HIS CHANCE?????

Hell Hawk was ready to go, he had his house up for sale, he had Cleveland, Cincinnati, that i personally know of, and there were probably other teams just waiting for him to become a FA.

You say Ted Thompson "GAVE" Hawk insane money. WHY? From what I have seen from Ted, he doesn't just willy nilly throw money around.

This reminds me when some on this forum kept screaming how we needed to upgrade our running game by replacing Ryan Grant a few years ago.

Look what has happened since Grants injury, other than a few weeks in 2010, The Packers haven't had that guy who could grind out the tough yards and keep the D honest.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Hey buckeypackfan,

I know you have a bigger interest in him being a big part of our defense simply from the OSU tie. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy just fine, and I think he is a decent MLB, just not a great MLB.

Zero INTs last season. Only 1.5 sacks, in a blitz heavy scheme. Zero forced fumbles. He hasn't forced a fumble since 2007. He has a total of 3 sacks since 2008.

I think we all want more dynamic play from the MLB position and the QB of our defense. I'm just going by what I see. Sure, the guy makes a lot of tackles, but he looks a step slow to react in pass coverage and is not shutting the run down at the line, like he is supposed to do. Only 8 TFL in the past two years out of a total of 195. I've got nothing against him personally, but his production is not up to his level of pay.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
45m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.