Zero2Cool
11 years ago
You'll want to click the link to read the rest of the article. I did find it interesting the Packers simply can not win close games. We have discussed this before, but no reason was given/provided. I think the team has a fragile sense of confidence. When things are going good, they are confident and able to dominant, but once punched in the face, they don't know how to respond.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” ― Mike Tyson

Since last season, the Cold, Hard Football Facts have been ahead of the curve on the Green Bay Packers. That should be expected, as the Mike McCarthy/Aaron Rodgers-era Packers are truly one of the most unique teams in NFL history.

We have said the Packers could be the league’s next dynasty, and highlighted their 19-game winning streak as arguably the best ever.

But fans do not like to hear the truth, and the truth that McCarthy’s Packers have a serious crunch-time issue with pulling out close wins, and the problem is amplified in games started by Rodgers.

The record is 3-18 (.143) at fourth-quarter comeback opportunities under Rodgers, which may historically compare best to the forgettable Bill Kenney and the 1980s Chiefs (3-27 record).

Overall, Green Bay is 7-26 (.212) in fourth quarter comeback opportunities since McCarthy became the coach in 2006. That is seven fourth-quarter comebacks in six seasons. The New York Giants produced seven fourth-quarter comebacks in 2011 alone – albeit a number that tied the league single-season record.

While Green Bay fans have spent the last year pointing fingers of blame for the record, citing bad luck and other reasons, the truth is you cannot change the record. It is what it is, and it’s as rotten as an abandoned Wisconsin cheese factory.

For a great team with a championship, no one historically has been in need of jumping out to big leads and avoiding the necessity to gut out a close win with a late drive like Green Bay.

Scott Kacsmar  wrote:

UserPostedImage
11 years ago
Running game = clock exhaustion.

No pass rush = comeback possibilities.

Let's not over analyze the Packers. They can score quickly when needed.
blank
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Let's not over analyze the Packers. They can score quickly when needed.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

This is a Packers discussion board, lets over analyze the Packers. If you checked out the linked article, you'll find the Packers cannot score quickly when needed, hence the poor "4th quarter comeback" percentage under Mike McCarthy and even worse under Aaron Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago
While the article seems to focus on Rodgers and McCarthy, it would be interesting to see how many points the Packers defense is giving up in the fourth quarter in close games. You can't come back from behind if your opponent is scoring everytime you go out and score.

Overall, this article seems written as if it is trying to prove a point (Rodgers isn't good at fourth quarter comebacks) and interpreting data through that lens, rather than simply examining data and coming to a conclusion based on said data (The PACKERS aren't good at fourth quarter comebacks).

Examples:

And in that wildcard game, they made an incredible comeback from a 21-point deficit, only to blow the game in overtime when it came time to finally win it. In the highest scoring playoff game ever, the quarterback suddenly misfired to a wide open receiver, and then coughed up the ball for a game-ending fumble touchdown.

As I recall, the defender was in Rodgers' face within about a second and a half, and to this day I don't see how a facemask or hitting the quarterback in the head is only a facemask/hit to the head if it doesn't cause a fumble in the process.

Two years later this team challenges the perfect season, but after getting to 13-0, they trail in the fourth quarter for the first time in 19 games to a major underdog. The quarterback has his worst game of the season, and the streak is over. When it comes time for the playoffs, the 15-1 favorites lay another egg at home, and lose by 17 points.

Again, the focus on the Quarterback. Admittedly, it was easily Rodgers worst game in a very long time, but the entire team laid an egg. The defense was mediocre, and Rodgers wasn't the only one to cough it up.

I'm not going to counter the article point by point, and Rodgers DOES need to improve when it comes to fourth quarter performance. But again, this article seems to focus all of its attention on Rodgers, and not a whole heck of a lot on the porous defenses of the last few years. I want to see the points the Packers are putting up versus the number of points they are allowing in the fourth quarter. Are the Packers scoring a lot but giving up just as many points or more? It's a shame, because this article goes really in-depth and includes a fair amount of research.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Aaron Rodgers gets a lot of credit for when the Packers win, its only justified if he's pointed to for when they don't win.

I believe I went through the 2008 games (1 - 7) and found only two or three of them to be Rodgers fault or failure to pull the team to a win. I don't know which year it was, but I remember the Packers either pulling it close or taking the lead late, only to watch Charles Woodson get outplayed by Steve Smith on a deep pass that eventually lead to sealing the Packers fate.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

Aaron Rodgers gets a lot of credit for when the Packers win, its only justified if he's pointed to for when they don't win.

I believe I went through the 2008 games (1 - 7) and found only two or three of them to be Rodgers fault or failure to pull the team to a win. I don't know which year it was, but I remember the Packers either pulling it close or taking the lead late, only to watch Charles Woodson get outplayed by Steve Smith on a deep pass that eventually lead to sealing the Packers fate.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Overall, I think it's stupid when the Quarterback gets all the credit for wins and losses. I don't care if he's the "leader" of the team or not, he is responsible for HIS performance first and foremost. If a WR makes a spectacular catch on an iffy throw or the defense comes up with a timely forced fumble, Rodgers should not be getting credit. I liken it to the phenomenon of everyone blaming the president for everything. Yes, the President has a lot of power in his own right and has influence over the direction of the rest of the government. But without the legislature, without state governments and without the blessing of the justice department, the President's power is fairly limited. Yet as a figurehead, the president is seen as responsible for everything from the economy to the price of gas.

Getting back to football, again I would like to clarify that ARod needs to improve, I was just commenting on what seemed to be a rather clear agenda on the part of the article. I should probably start earning my paycheck today and there's a Packers game tonight, but I might sift through stats this weekend to see exactly how many points the Packers are giving up, and scoring in the fourth quarter. If someone's going to spend so much time examining what Rodgers is and is not doing, we'd might as well look at the whole situation.
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
The article is off base. Most of those late losses came in Rodgers first couple of seasons. A number of times which he put the team in the lead the last few/couple of minutes but we had no defense to stop the opponent from getting the last/winning score. The last couple of years I don't think that holds true.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DarkaneRules
11 years ago
Not many people played well in the losses. Aaron knows the main reason on the offense, that they need more of a running threat for those games otherwise they just tee off on him and the receivers, and everybody knows it on defense, WE NEED A PASS RUSH!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
nerdmann
11 years ago
Rodgers has ice in his veins.

We had a guy here who played on adrenaline. When it comes down to crunch time, I don't want that guy. Too many bad, bad memories.

Give me the guy who is the all time leader in 3rd down percentage.

Yeah, this team has lost some close games. Remember all the injuries on the defense in 2008? Let's be real. Stats are stats, but we all know what is behind them.

As for the Arizona game. That game will live in infamy right there with 4th and 26, because we were robbed. That was a fluke expulsion from the playoffs, without which we might very well have already repeated.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Rodgers has ice in his veins.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Sure does, except when the team needs a score late in the game to get the win.

4th and 26 the Packers robbed themselves, vastly different than the '09 Playoff game.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (19h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.