Zero2Cool
11 years ago
I noted in the practice thread that I attended that B.J. Coleman was separate from Graham Harrell and that Aaron Rodgers guy. At times it felt kind of awkward to see. This writer here thinks Coleman  is a long shot to make the team. I don't believe any of us felt Coleman would make the team as it's best to use that 3rd QB spot for an additional WR or TE.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
SilverStein take on it...

Hey JSOnline inspector.. here is the source.  

Coleman's chances of making the 53-man roster don't appear great. If he were to get a lot of playing time to prove himself it might be different, but coach Mike McCarthy made it clear that priority No. 1 is to find out about backup Graham Harrell, who has limited playing experience himself.

I personally would be shocked if Coleman didn't make the roster.. here is why.

1. I don't think he would stay on a Practice Squad.. with the emphasis placed on the QB's these days in a pass happy and NFL promoted league.. he has to much intangibles not to gamble on an develop. Some team will roll the dice with a spot on the 53.

2. You don't find guys that are that willing to put in the time in the film room. Too many Mark Sanchez's of the world.. QB's that think the game is theirs.

3. Green Bay is continuing the Wolf practice of developing QB's and rotating the understudies. Although Brohm flamed out.. it was a proven quality process under Wolf.. draft a QB late.. take the time to develop them and keep the cupboard stocked so to speak. So much as it pains me to state this.. you can never have too many quality QB's on your roster.

4. If the Packers deem Harrell not to be ready for the primary backup role.. they more than likely will dip into the pool for a short term fix for a veteran. I don't see this happening.. but if it should they are going to need an understudy. I think a young cat would win out over a 27 year old that had two years to develop here already.

Harrell was signed by the Packers in 2010  and hard work and Head Coach Mike McCarthy’s confidence in Harrell have rewarded him with this chance. Thursday’s preseason opener is anything but meaningless for Harrell.

So in short.. Coleman has a competitive fire.. willing to work and has all the physical tools an NFL QB needs to have.

I think he sticks. I think the Packers know that already and don't mind not giving him less time this preseason and shifting that to Harrell to get him ready.

Give it another offseason for Harrell.. let him shine next preseason and with 1 more year of team control to go.. see what you have in terms of trade value for him. All the while.. developing the next understudy for his role. Backing up a multiple time MVP QB, yes I went there.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago
Ha... I have more content to my opening post than that you do. :)

Please merge with:

http://www.packershome.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=14858 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
doddpower
11 years ago
I don't see how he doesn't make the roster, either. He has some arm strength, and appears to have the ability to compete. He basically was thrown into a shitty game situation during the first preseason game, and looked OK in the few snaps he played, until the untimely fumble that wasn't his fault.

I think this is the season to carry three QBs. Next season might be different, but in a transitory year, it's likely better to carry three. The only way I see around this is if he can make it on the practice squad for most the season. I'm not sure that's a gamble I'd be willing to take, though.
zombieslayer
11 years ago

SilverStein take on it...

Hey JSOnline inspector.. here is the source.  

I personally would be shocked if Coleman didn't make the roster.. here is why.

1. I don't think he would stay on a Practice Squad.. with the emphasis placed on the QB's these days in a pass happy and NFL promoted league.. he has to much intangibles not to gamble on an develop. Some team will roll the dice with a spot on the 53.

2. You don't find guys that are that willing to put in the time in the film room. Too many Mark Sanchez's of the world.. QB's that think the game is theirs.

3. Green Bay is continuing the Wolf practice of developing QB's and rotating the understudies. Although Brohm flamed out.. it was a proven quality process under Wolf.. draft a QB late.. take the time to develop them and keep the cupboard stocked so to speak. So much as it pains me to state this.. you can never have too many quality QB's on your roster.

4. If the Packers deem Harrell not to be ready for the primary backup role.. they more than likely will dip into the pool for a short term fix for a veteran. I don't see this happening.. but if it should they are going to need an understudy. I think a young cat would win out over a 27 year old that had two years to develop here already.

So in short.. Coleman has a competitive fire.. willing to work and has all the physical tools an NFL QB needs to have.

I think he sticks. I think the Packers know that already and don't mind not giving him less time this preseason and shifting that to Harrell to get him ready.

Give it another offseason for Harrell.. let him shine next preseason and with 1 more year of team control to go.. see what you have in terms of trade value for him. All the while.. developing the next understudy for his role. Backing up a multiple time MVP QB, yes I went there.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I could see Pack93z biting his lip until it bleeds as he's typing #3. The pain of admitting QBs are actually an important position. 🤦

On a serious note, even in this pass happy NFL, 🇲🇲 knows that with Flynn gone, if 🇦🇷 went down, the season's over anyways so we still keep 2 QBs and keep that 53rd spot for an extra LB/OL/or whatever.

The question is, will it be Harrell or the rookie? I think 🇲🇲 told 🇹🇹 to grab a QB if he's there just in case of an injury but Harrell still needs a year or two of grooming. Nobody knows what he can and can't do outside of the Packers.

We'll see though. It would be interesting if you're right.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago
I refuse to deem the season a loss if Rodgers goes down... just like I don't think the Packers would have been a non playoff team last season if Rodgers goes down.

You put the next guy in and adjust the offense to fit him.

Honestly.. I think Mike McCarthy and companies biggest strength to date is understanding what they have in a QB.. and adjusting the play calling to fit their strengths.

Favre was a cat that liked to go off script.. you seen a more vertical element to the play calling with less emphasis on timing and cerebral decisions. They didn't require Brett to play more of the short game and use the pass to move the chains.

Insert Rodgers.. change the play calling to fit his emphasis to detail and his ability to make sound decisions in the fray.. giving the offense more levels of depth in the routes and allow Aaron to break down the coverage in more detail and allow him to play a patient game or go for the throat if it is there.

They are playing to the strengths of the QB at hand.
Mike McCarthy and Company have two years of knowledge of Harrell's strengths and growth.. I have confidence that they will be able to adjust the play calling to fit him.

People try to label Green Bay as a system type offense.. banking on now Flynn lighting it up.. IMO it is not a system; at least in terms of how people use system.

IMO.. it is a system in how they prepare and develop the position.. and tailor the game plan to fit the QB.

Flynn up against the Pats in 2010.. they tailored that game with a green QB to put them in contention to win that game.. and probably should have.

The Packers are more than Aaron Rodgers.. at least how I see it.. they might not be the same explosive team.. but I refuse to waive the white flag in defeat if he goes down.

That there is the best compliment I can endorse up MM.. great coaches adjust to the strengths of their players.. however most try to force players into their game plan.. which generally results in less than stellar results. Or short term success at best.

I think that is the key to the Packers.. take good football players and scheme around them. Not trying to pick players to fit a system.

zombieslayer
11 years ago
You were right in 2010. But 2011, we don't have the D to cover a loss to 🇦🇷. Remains to be seen in 2012, but I think 2012 will be closer to 2011 than 2010. I hope I'm wrong.

And yes, I get what you're saying. Despite 🇲🇲's brilliance, you can only do so much with the tools available. I've heard scouts say Harrell is still very rusty, but that was last year. (I don't know what they're saying this year).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackerTraxx
11 years ago
He looked decent in the first preseason game, actually, he looked very good for a 7th rd rookie in his first game. He had good arm strength and showed good poise. I think there is something to work with there. He also seems to have a good attitude as far as confidence and willingness to work hard to get where he needs to be. I'm looking forward to seeing him throughtout the preseason.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Porforis
11 years ago

I refuse to deem the season a loss if Rodgers goes down... just like I don't think the Packers would have been a non playoff team last season if Rodgers goes down.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

To be fair, we had Flynn last year. He's certainly no 🇦🇷 but based on what I've seen from Harrell so far, Flynn's definitely a lot better. That being said, we've seen very little... Just didn't like Harrell's wild inaccuracy and the frantic nature in which he seemed to be playing. He needs to calm down, maybe a few more starts will do that for him, maybe not... Hopefully we'll never need to find out if he's starter quality. 🙂
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
11 years ago

To be fair, we had Flynn last year. He's certainly no 🇦🇷 but based on what I've seen from Harrell so far, Flynn's definitely a lot better. That being said, we've seen very little... Just didn't like Harrell's wild inaccuracy and the frantic nature in which he seemed to be playing. He needs to calm down, maybe a few more starts will do that for him, maybe not... Hopefully we'll never need to find out if he's starter quality. :)

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Go back to last preseason and pop in tape of Flynn running the offense in the preseason.

It was less the confidence inspiring.

But the lights came on with a game plan suited for him and the talent around him.. and we seen results.

Without knowing the game preparation for the players in the preseason.. are they putting him in situations to challenge him for evaluation purposes.. or did they game plan for him. IMO.. preseason here is about putting players in game situations of the coaching staffs preference to evaluate.

Go back and look at Rodgers in the preseasons leading up to him getting the starting gig. Up and down.. personally I think it is by design.

And an offenses style affects the defense.. Rodgers goes down.. the offensive game plan changes and it will affect the defense. It is a cause and effect relationship..
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.