gbguy20
11 years ago

I feel like this is a more recent trend, where 3-5 QBs go in the first round to QB starved teams, whereas in the past some of these guys are probably 2nd or 3rd round picks. In today's NFL you really need to have a top flight QB to compete though, so it makes sense.

For fun here's a breakdown though, years since Rodgers was picked, counting only QBs that were drafted before #24.
2006: 3, Young, Leinart, Cutler
2007: 2, Russel and Quinn, what a terrible year for QB's
2008: 2, Ryan, Flacco
2009: 3, Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman
2010: 1, Bradford. Tebow goes 25, off year for high pick QBs
2011: 3, Newton, Locker, Ponder. Dalton at 36 is probably a steal.
2012: 4, Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, Weeden

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

what about the couple of years before?

edit: i'll do it.

2004: 4; manning, rivers, roethlisberger, losman
2003: 4; palmer, leftwich, boller, grossman
2002: 2; carr, harrington

out of the last 11 drafts, there has only been 2 times that the top 2 qb's weren't already gone by 24. 1 of which was rodgers year, obviously. other than that, most years have at least 3 qb's gone by 24.
Pack93z
11 years ago

Aren't we lucky that that was the one year in the draft that the 2nd QB wasn't drafted until 24? It seems most years the top 3-4 QB's are gone by 15.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

While I agree with this statement.. I think Aaron himself should feel lucky he feel into the Packers lap.

** To be clear.. I think the way Aaron prepares for the game and his quick mental abilities are truly special and we are lucky to have him as our QB. ** But..

He got to slowly transition into the NFL.. watch behind a HOF QB.(what to and not to do.).

And has been allowed to develop with one coach and stability in the program.

Even though I don't see the chip in this statement.. history tells us it is there.. he has stated it a number of times.

But why have that chip?

Your sliding in the draft and landing here has helped your career.. you now own a MVP.

If that chip is what makes him great.. great.. whatever drives you. I just don't understand the reason for the chip.

I could go into that QB rant... sparked this morning by Brian Billick and protecting the QB from competition.. but I shall save that for another day. Because that will drive this thread way off topic. Competition is good at all spots but QB.. their it causes unrest bullshit. Freaking candy asses... pampered from the day they don the helmet and we wonder why they can't hack the pressure. Bubble wrap them sumsofbitches already.. physically and mentally.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
11 years ago
I still love hearing Pack93z go off on QBs (in general).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
gbguy20
11 years ago

While I agree with this statement.. I think Aaron himself should feel lucky he feel into the Packers lap.

** To be clear.. I think the way Aaron prepares for the game and his quick mental abilities are truly special and we are lucky to have him as our QB. ** But..

He got to slowly transition into the NFL.. watch behind a HOF (what to and not to do.).

Even though I don't see the chip in this statement.. history tells us it is there.. he has stated it a number of times.

But why have that chip?

Your sliding in the draft and landing here has helped your career.. you now own a MVP.

If that chip is what makes him great.. great.. whatever drives you. I just don't understand the reason for the chip.

I could go into that QB rant... sparked this morning by Brian Billick and protecting the QB from competition.. but I shall save that for another day. Because that will drive this thread way off topic. Competition is good at all spots but QB.. their it causes unrest bullshit. Freaking candy asses... pampered for the day they don the helmet and we wonder why they can't hack the pressure. Bubble wrap them sumsofbitches already.. physically and mentally.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Think of it this way, while history of the circumstance shows he more than likely had more success because he wasn't thrown into the fire, he could very well be upset at his lost 3 years of playing time. He could have the confidence to think that even if he wasn't thrown into the ideal situation that he was, that he would have still ended up the same great quarterback.
Pack93z
11 years ago

Think of it this way, while history of the circumstance shows he more than likely had more success because he wasn't thrown into the fire, he could very well be upset at his lost 3 years of playing time. He could have the confidence to think that even if he wasn't thrown into the ideal situation that he was, that he would have still ended up the same great quarterback.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I could.. and I actually can understand his drive from a personal perspective.

But then I think.. you want to win games.. if want to have a shot every year.

He has been given that here..

Aaron has never played the your lucky to have me card.. which I admire.

That said.. I once admired the way Brett embraced the team and the City of Green Bay.. and the way he played the game.. balls out almost every snap.

I still admire the way he played the game.

Simply put.. some players are great.. they become legends when they are put in situations where they can obtain it.

I just happen to think Rodgers landed in the ideal spot for a great player to possibly become a legend. And there is luck in that as well.

That and I never try an attach myself to a player.. I did that once with James Lofton.. he moved on.. and the Packers still were the Packers after he wasn't there anymore.

I love that the Packers have Rodgers as their QB.. and enjoy watching him play the game. But I refuse to worship the ground he walks upon. Can't do it.

The last guy that got close to becoming attached to in a fanatical way... William Henderson.

Plus there is always that bias thing... 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

He got to slowly transition into the NFL.. watch behind a HOF (what to and not to do.).

Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre and per the Hall of Fame website, he has to be inducted into the Hall of Fame or does HOF mean something else? [aiee]

I think it's pretty simple on why he still has the chip and the quote matches up just fine to him having the chip, but if you don't understand why he has the chip, obviously you're not gonna follow. [grin1] He felt he was going to go number one, felt he deserved to go number one and also thought he was going to go to the Buccaneers (as Jon Gruden told him) if not number one and then team after team passed him when he felt he should have been first over all.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
11 years ago

Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre and per the Hall of Fame website, he has to be inducted into the Hall of Fame or does HOF mean something else? [aiee]

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

We can hang ourselves up on the semantics if we wish.. but there is no way Favre isn't inducted.

Zero2Cool
11 years ago

We can hang ourselves up on the semantics if we wish.. but there is no way Favre isn't inducted.

I disagree. In fact, he isn't inducted, you can check the records for yourself. I don't agree with awarding people awards until they actually have you know ... been awarded them. It's the same crap lazy journalists do. It's something so easy, takes no effort.

Now, Barry Sanders, he IS a hall of famer! 🙂
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

He got to slowly transition into the NFL.. watch behind a HOF QB.(what to and not to do.).

But why have that chip?

I could go into that QB rant... sparked this morning by Brian Billick and protecting the QB from competition.. but I shall save that for another day. Because that will drive this thread way off topic. Competition is good at all spots but QB.. their it causes unrest bullshit. Freaking candy asses... pampered from the day they don the helmet and we wonder why they can't hack the pressure. Bubble wrap them sumsofbitches already.. physically and mentally.

Of course he can still have a chip on his shoulder, even though falling in the draft turned out the best for him in the end. Here's a non-football analogy:

I worked 5 years in a mostly shitty job where nobody was interested in training or developing their employees. I spent my spare time training myself, pestering people with questions, constantly trying to improve myself. While I did become a lot more appreciated and was able to rise up the ranks quite substantially, I was still getting paid marginally more than people who were objectively terrible at their jobs, and spent most of their time not working. Most of all, I was irritated that with all of the drive, interpersonal skills, intense involvement in department planning and overhauling the training program almost single-handedly, the VP basically scoffed at the possibility of taking my boss's job after he left (who had recommended that the job go to me).

Because of their decision to hold me back yet again, I found myself much more receptive to a job offer. As a result, I found myself a much better-paying job at a much more positive and competitive company. Just because everything turned out okay for me in the end, doesn't mean that I can't still feel like I was shafted and unappreciated by my previous company, and use that slighting as motivation to be successful in my current job.
zombieslayer
11 years ago
Don't mean to change the subject, but funny Pack93z brings up James Lofton. Yes, he was my favorite player all-time. Until of course Favre came along. Now I'm without a favorite player all-time, but that's probably a good thing. It sucks to be attached to one player; especially when that one player leaves.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (19h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.