Zero2Cool
11 years ago

There was a time when a large majority of Packer fans thought Favre could do no wrong. It wasn’t that long ago. Back in ‘06 there was much discussion about the talent around Favre rather than his regressing play.

There was also a time when Packer fans felt Favre would lead the team to multiple championships. This was never in doubt. Then Mike Holmgren left, Reggie White retired, and Bob Harlan gave Mike Sherman the general manager responsibilities.

There’s no telling where Rodgers will go, but Packer fans are once again painting themselves in a corner. The relationship Packer fans have with Rodgers is practically identical to Favre’s relationship with the fans. It’s also Super Bowl or bust every year now, which was the same case from 95-04 with Favre. This won’t last forever, though. The window will close and Rodgers will go through some tough patches. I think it's coming sooner than people think. I don’t know how he’ll respond. I have an idea, but there’s no way to know for sure.

Just enjoy the ride and see what happens. Until then, comparing the two is pointless. We don’t know whether Rodgers is Kurt Warner or Tom Brady yet.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I don't see why you have to try to piss in the cheerios of people having a discussion, lol. (jus joking around)

Favre could do no wrong in the eyes of Favre fans, not Packers fans. I state this based on Packers fans I knew who were fans prior to Favre starting his career as a Packer.

I do agree, enjoy the ride, however, much of what a fan does is pointless, but who is anyone to say it shouldn't be done? Stating the Packers need to tackle better, catch better, run base more, run nickel more, be more aggressive on offense, have a better pass rush ... all of which is pointless yet that's what makes it enjoyable as a fan ... we can say whatever we want thinking we're smart.

I strongly disagree that the relationship with Packers fans is the same with Rodgers as it was with Favre. There's a lot of differences, but true enough, the goal of the TEAM is Super Bowl or bust because that's the mentality of any fan of a team who's won it all in the last few years.

Again, definitely enjoy this run because as you accurately said, it won't last forever. I just don't think that means we can't be fans during the offseason and discuss the differences.

BTW, Rodgers will be Steve Young, not Tom Brady. Drew Bledsoe is only a legend in the Bledsoe household, hahah.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
11 years ago
I think this window will be around for awhile. As long as Ted can keep up the good work, I think the cupboards will be stocked. He'll stick around long enough to groom Eliot Wolf, at minimum.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Reggie went where his wife told him to go. And that means, where the money was offered. If the Skins were offering more, it wouldn't have been much, and it would have been offset by the championship opportunity.

Reggie's signing opened the door for black players to come to Green Bay by choice. The Frozen Tundra was long considered to be the Siberia of the NFL, especially for non-whites. Even moreso after the James Lofton fiasco. Reggie changed that to a significant degree. Not only for players of racial minorities, but for players who wanted to win.

As for Favre, I think Big Irv kept him grounded to some degree. Losing his dad was a major blow to Favre, for that reason, if no other.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

The Packers offered $17 million and the Redskins probably offered $17.8 or something. I don't think it was much, but bottom line is, he didn't take the highest offer. Yes, the chance to win it all (something Reggie didn't do on ANY level in his life) was certainly more important than ~$1 million.

Sara thought more of the area an schooling for her kids than the money. Plus, cost of living is better in Green Bay than Washington D.C..

There was no free agency prior to 1993, so there really wasn't any mystique that Green Bay was Siberia, lol. But yes, White being a Packer did put it into minds of potential free agents that Green Bay is a good place to live an play for.

White wanted to go to a franchise intensely committed to winning, because in 16 years of high school, college and pro ball he has never been on a championship team. And wherever he goes, he wants to establish a Christian ministry and work with the needy of the inner city.

Jimmy Sexton wrote:

It changed the stigma that was on this team, that black players couldn’t have fun up here, that the town was racist. I think by me saying, ‘I’m going to play for Green Bay’ and then liking it here, it changed a lot of guys’ attitudes, black and white. I think it made guys want to play here.

Reggie White wrote:

I still say us Packers fans are extremely lucky to have had Brett Favre for 16 years and now have Aaron Rodgers. It's definitely good times to be a Packers fan.
UserPostedImage
nyrpack
11 years ago
bottom line is brett was the most fun player to ever put on a uniform, was he the best probably not but did he give his best effort every down , absolutely. i will always be a brett fan, but thank god for aaron, he made my heart heal very quickly, he could be the best qb to ever play and im very greatful for this !!
jimmy b.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

bottom line is brett was the most fun player to ever put on a uniform, was he the best probably not but did he give his best effort every down , absolutely. i will always be a brett fan, but thank god for aaron, he made my heart heal very quickly, he could be the best qb to ever play and im very greatful for this !!

Originally Posted by: nyrpack 

I'd say he was the most exciting because you didn't know if it was a game winning TD he'd throw, or a game costing INT he'd throw. I am probably a tad bias when I say Barry Sanders was the most fun to watch.

UserPostedImage
porky88
11 years ago

I don't see why you have to try to piss in the cheerios of people having a discussion, lol.

Favre could do no wrong in the eyes of Favre fans, not Packers fans. I state this based on Packers fans I knew who were fans prior to Favre starting his career as a Packer.

I do agree, enjoy the ride, however, much of what a fan does is pointless, but who is anyone to say it shouldn't be done? Stating the Packers need to tackle better, catch better, run base more, run nickel more, be more aggressive on offense, have a better pass rush ... all of which is pointless yet that's what makes it enjoyable as a fan ... we can say whatever we want thinking we're smart.

I strongly disagree that the relationship with Packers fans is the same with Rodgers as it was with Favre. There's a lot of differences, but true enough, the goal of the TEAM is Super Bowl or bust because that's the mentality of any fan of a team who's won it all in the last few years.

Again, definitely enjoy this run because as you accurately said, it won't last forever. I just don't think that means we can't be fans during the offseason and discuss the differences.

BTW, Rodgers will be Steve Young, not Tom Brady. Drew Bledsoe is only a legend in the Bledsoe household, hahah.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

The whole Favre fan thing is a myth. Most were disgruntled Packer fans and they’ve come home now, in my opinion. Let's not rehash that, though.

Favre's relationship with Packer fans was unique, which is why his fall from grace hit so hard. Favre's almost overanalyzed now because of his fall. During his years with Green Bay, there was usually a scapegoat. It was 4th and 26, Mike Holmgren's play calling, and Mike Sherman's coaching to name a few. Many Packer fans were overprotective of Favre and they’re doing the same with Aaron Rodgers.

FYI, you misunderstood my Brady or Warner analogy. A lot of us (me included) are projecting Rodgers’ career and it usually involves multiple Super Bowl championships and MVP seasons. Fair enough. That could happen as it did with Tom Brady.

There’s the other side, though, and this is where I piss in your cheerios.[neener]

Nobody thought in ‘01 that Warner would regress the way he did. He fell off the map after St. Louis’ window closed. He did regain form but with a different team. The same could happen to Rodgers when this window of success closes. Whatever you think of Favre, he’s a future Hall of Fame quarterback. His book is finished. There’s still along ways to go until we close Rodgers’ book. There's going to be some twists and turns. We don't know where that may take his legacy or the Packers.
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
lol I thought Kurt Warner was overrated from the start. It wasn't until he brought the Cardinals to something respectable that I thought 'wow, maybe this guy is pretty good after all'.

I don't blame 4th and 26 on Favr(not that you said I did), but I do fault him for throwing a ball up for grabs in overtime of the same game. That was just boneheaded.

I believe this Packers team is more well rounded offensively and defensively depth-wise than the 90's Packers and that's why I feel another ring is in order. I also think (coincides with Mark Chmura's statements which I probably lose credibility here) that the Packers were overconfident in XXXII. I don't think this Packers team is as likely to see that. Before its mentioned, I believe the Giants loss was more due to the emotional drain of the untimely passing of Joe Philbins son, than the team being over confident.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

Let's put an end to the fairy tale of White coming here because of Favre. Reggie went to the highest bidder, period.

You all have said great things about Favre, and because the man has had more sunshine blown up his ass than Rah, we'll leave it at that. His flaw, like just about every big man on campus quarterback, is that he demanded his ass kissed and wouldn't know humility if it came up and bit him on his favorite appendage.

Originally Posted by: Dakotat 

Oh, I don't deny that White's main reason was that the Packers ended up being the highest bidder. My point was a smaller one: that without Favre, GB probably wouldn't have been on RW's list in the first place. GB had been considered Outer Mongolia for a number of years by players.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
11 years ago

lol I thought Kurt Warner was overrated from the start. It wasn't until he brought the Cardinals to something respectable that I thought 'wow, maybe this guy is pretty good after all'.

I don't blame 4th and 26 on Favr(not that you said I did), but I do fault him for throwing a ball up for grabs in overtime of the same game. That was just boneheaded.

I believe this Packers team is more well rounded offensively and defensively depth-wise than the 90's Packers and that's why I feel another ring is in order. I also think (coincides with Mark Chmura's statements which I probably lose credibility here) that the Packers were overconfident in XXXII. I don't think this Packers team is as likely to see that. Before its mentioned, I believe the Giants loss was more due to the emotional drain of the untimely passing of Joe Philbins son, than the team being over confident.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

'

I don't really consider this Packer team "more well rounded". I think the pass offense is better, though it's close. I think that the 1996 run offense was better than this one. As for defense, it depends on whether one thinks 2010 or 2011 iterations are closer to the reality today. And special teams are about even.

That said, I do think this team has the potential to do more. And I think the reason is Rodgers style.

It reminds me, sort of, of my youth, when we used to debate Starr v. Unitas. Like Unitas, Favre is a Hall of Famer. You can't deny the greatness of either (or at least I can't). But Rodgers to me has an undefinable something, something akin to what Starr had and what, IMO, Unitas did not.

To me, it isn't about Favre's willingness to risk all and sometimes look like a complete dumbass. It's more that there's something intangible Rodgers has that I don't remember ever seeing with Favre.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd take Starr in his prime over either one in theirs, stats notwithstanding and Starr's own humble opinion notwithstanding. But other than Starr in *his prime (and perhaps Otto Graham, who I never saw and so leave out of this discussion), there is no other quarterback in NFL history than I'd rather have right now than Rodgers. None.

He's not in the Hall of Fame yet by a long shot. But I believe that, barring serious injury, he will be.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

Like Unitas, Favre is a Hall of Famer.

Originally Posted by: wade 

Wrong! Brett Favre is not even eligible for the Hall of Fame yet!!! Johnny Unitas is already in the Hall of Fame. You check my source by clicking this link  if you don't believe me.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (2h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (13h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (15h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (15h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (15h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.