Poll Question: What one type of government policy choices do you think will determine America's post-election health?

Total: 3

Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
11 years ago
I seem to be in a polling mood of late, probably because I'm having serious problems getting real work (beyond training of Thuji) done this summer so far.

Anyway, this one is a draft poll that I'm trying to put together for the part of my principles course where we talk about "the types of macroeconomic policy and their costs/benefits." (In a typical semester this would occur approximately 3/4ths of the way through the class, but I'm thinking of moving it forward to fall a week or two before the election.)

The question is straightforward, but the answer is hard since I am not allowing "all are important" or "several are important" or "more than one are important" as answers. What I think is the more interesting question is relative importance -- which do you think is more important that the next administration get right?

For those who haven't had an econ course (or who have tried hard to forget the bad memories it provided), the terms used in the poll questions have about the meaning you would expect. In brief:

"Fiscal policy" covers decisions about taxation and government expenditure. How much should taxes be decreased/increased? Which taxes? On whom? How much should government spending be increased/decreased? Which spending categories should be increased/decreased? How should taxes/spending be split among federal/state/local governments? And so on. I've split "taxes" and "spending" into separate categories.

"Monetary policy" is the one that economists of most ideologies tend to emphasize. It generally means trying to influence the economy through changes in the money supply and its rate of growth. (It's often phrased in terms of "changing interest rates", but this is inaccurate -- with one exception (rarely used) the government can't change interest rates directly. Interest rates are decided by the actual borrowers and lenders of funds.

Aside: any time the combination of taxes and spending yields a "deficit", monetary policy is involved: the government either prints more money to pay the excess, or (more often) borrows money to pay the excess and then hopes it will have more revenue by the time the loan comes due.

"Trade policy" technically refers only to "international" trade, even though about 90 percent of any advanced country's actual trade is internal. Anything designed to affect exports and imports fits here -- tariffs, immigration laws and other restrictions on the movement of labor across borders, technology transfer rules, foreign aid, etc.]

"Regulatory policy" is just what it sounds like. Anything not counted in the first three that is designed to regulate how we deal with others -- OSHA, FCC, FDA, NRSB, consumer protection laws, environmental rules, speed limits, white collar crimes, etc etc etc.

"Other" -- anything that does not seem to fit above. Constitutional questions, perhaps. Police and national defense, perhaps.

So, which of the four do you consider the most important to our future?

Discuss.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Zero2Cool
11 years ago
Telling people to discuss on a forum is like telling people to eat at a restaurant. Friggin political pirate!
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
11 years ago
You have a button for "all of the above"? This administration is tragically clueless, and the people that voted for it are so ego-driven on a personal level that they cannot admit to the stupidity of having done so in the first place, as they were "so right" at that time, as evidenced by the television shows they chose and choose to watch- news-wise.

Nice.

Pavlovian dogs.

The collective ignorance (results) is getting rather expensive, but the sheer sad entertainment value on a personal level...it works for me.

You go, libs!
Wade
  • Wade
11 years ago

Telling people to discuss on a forum is like telling people to eat at a restaurant. Friggin political pirate!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That's why I ask you guys....you're just like my students...you ignore my instructions unless I hit the right button.

Not a political pirate....just a self-interested educator pirate trying to "go outside the box" in course planning.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Porforis
11 years ago
My main beef with discussing politics on forums (not that I don't get drawn in anyways):

*Someone makes claim*
*Refutes claim with sources and explanation*
*Third person comes in and makes a related comment*
*First person ignores second person, addresses third person*

That, and I'm always right, and this forum is not full of Mes. But a lot of you are close enough.
DakotaT
11 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I started a thread once and said Let's Discuss and it's the longest fuckr we've ever had.

Regretedly, this one isn't off to a good start.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
11 years ago

That, and I'm always right, and this forum is not full of Mes. But a lot of you are close enough.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Well you are a bright young guy - but me thinks you need some more hard times to become wise.

20 years ago, I probably would have agreed with you a lot more, but the road I've had to travel has taken me to much different viewpoints.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
11 years ago

I started a thread once and said Let's Discuss and it's the longest fuckr we've ever had.

Regretedly, this one isn't off to a good start.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

and you saying lets discuss has about as much impact as a telling a prostitute to have sex.

I think Rourke started the longest thread here.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
11 years ago

Well you are a bright young guy - but me thinks you need some more hard times to become wise.

20 years ago, I probably would have agreed with you a lot more, but the road I've had to travel has taken me to much different viewpoints.

Eh, I've had enough hard times for my tastes. If you think I'm a punk now, you should have seen me as a teen/young adult :P

Screwing up college twice, being unemployed for a year, working in two different factories over the course of a month gave me a ton of life lessons, I got lucky and found a job I was at for 5 years (just ended it a couple weeks ago) which helped put all my past mistakes in focus. I'm sure I'll screw up again and in new ways, I just hope I'm still smart enough to learn from them.
Wade
  • Wade
11 years ago

20 years ago, I probably would have agreed with you a lot more, but theroad I've had to travel has taken me to much different viewpoints.

Of course said road obviously took you close to Minnesota too many times, so your viewpoints are almost as whacked as theirs.[grin1]

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

20h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.