Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
I had a hypothesis and I wanted to check and see if the numbers actually supported it or not. So I did some interesting data gathering over the weekend.

It appears that in the 1st through the 3rd quarters last year, the Packers League worst D gave up an average of roughly 3 net points and 65 passing yards per quarter. Now the passing yards were not that great, but not worst in the league. However only giving up roughly 3 net points a quarter was phenomenal.

Now this is taking out the points that our O gave up through turnovers that created points for the opposing D. It also credited them for the 5 TDs they scored directly. It doesn't compensate for the turnovers that were converted into field goals. Or the number would be even lower.

I also looked at the passing yards and points given up in the 4th quarter. I did include opponents passing yards that were gained in the 3rd quarter in which the drive ended in the 4th quarter. Where the points or stops were credited to.

I also looked at what was our greatest lead in the 4th quarter in each game. I averaged them out to be an 18 point lead,

I then looked at what the D gave up in the 4th quarter. I noticed that the average passing yards shot up to about 110 yards and over 8 net points given up.

The main conclusion I had was.

Since almost half the points and over a third of all yards given up by the passing D were in the 4th with that 18 points lead, they were not really failures of anything but the opponents being dangerous enough to really want to stop.

If we had not been playing from a 18 point lead that was in part built by the D, they probably would have played all those 4th quarters a lot more like the first 3.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
12 years ago
That's a great analysis, however it doesn't mean that our D can't improve. I've been watching games from last year again, and DAMN! LOL. They can stuff the run ALOT better. Blount embarrassed us in the Bucs game. They can also get to the QB much better too.

That said I think the reason we lost in the playoffs was just overconfidence. Or to be more specific, they guys just didn't show up to play, for whatever reason. It was more a mental issue than a roster issue.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

That's a great analysis, however it doesn't mean that our D can't improve. I've been watching games from last year again, and DAMN! LOL. They can stuff the run ALOT better. Blount embarrassed us in the Bucs game. They can also get to the QB much better too.

That said I think the reason we lost in the playoffs was just overconfidence. Or to be more specific, they guys just didn't show up to play, for whatever reason. It was more a mental issue than a roster issue.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

We can improve everywhere. The team can't rest on anything. ST, Rushing, Rushing D, and even Passing.

The passing game can improve, which is scary. If they dropped just an average number of passes, Rodgers would have set an all time record for completions % and his passer rating would have gone up. 3 of his 6 picks were from dropped passes and one was a TD. He could easily had a passer rating up in the 130s if the WRs helped him out a little.

If you are not getting better, you are getting worse.

zombieslayer
12 years ago

We can improve everywhere. The team can't rest on anything. ST, Rushing, Rushing D, and even Passing.

The passing game can improve, which is scary. If they dropped just an average number of passes, Rodgers would have set an all time record for completions % and his passer rating would have gone up. 3 of his 6 picks were from dropped passes and one was a TD. He could easily had a passer rating up in the 130s if the WRs helped him out a little.

If you are not getting better, you are getting worse.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

True.

That said, ideally, you want to improve your biggest weakness. Our biggest weakness is being 27th in sacks. I'd like to be in the top 5 ideally. That would cover up a lot of our other weaknesses, including getting our D off the field.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I think part of the issue for them being flat was the death of Michael Philbin. He was just a few years younger than a majority of the players. With Phil out of the loop practice that week was different. I doubt anyone would say so but it had to have an effect on the players.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
I think a lot of our problems can be attributed to not playing an aggressive, down hill, rally to the ball style of D. We were playing contained soft, keep the ball in front of you and live to make another play. In which we will be facing the QB and taking the ball away as much as possible. They were running away from the play a lot.

When they are not gang tackling or pressing the line of scrimmage, there are a lot more 1 on 1 tackling opportunities. If the ball carrier only has one guy on him at a time, it is easier to shed the tackle.

I can't really say that the D was a problem and not just a softer scheme. And I can't even say it was a mistake. 15-1 and only trailing in the 4th quarter in one game.

The D held the Chiefs to 17 points. That should be good enough for an average team to win.

The playoff game was just all around bad and you can't even say the D was all that bad. Without the easy scores set up by turnovers and a pure luck hail mary where they had 2 guys in position.

Yes, they should improve. Just like every one else on the team. But I think it is a mistake to single out the passing D as letting the team down.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
2011 the Packers averaged 35 points a game. Thirty. Five. That's more than a touchdown per quarter. Seriously think about that. That's frickin incredible. I remember recently thinking if the Packers and put up a 30 spot, they can't possibly lose. And last season they AVERAGED 35 per game! It was even higher for their home average. Incredible.

You'll give up quite a few yards when teams are abusing the rules (within the rules) that aide offensive passing. And that's why I say ... RUSH THE PASSER! Find a way to hit the QB. A pressure is almost as good as a sack. If you constantly in that QB's face, he'll remember that next drop back. "they coming? toss it quick!!"
UserPostedImage
play2win
12 years ago
Good points, and great info Dexter_Sinister.

I'm all for pass rush. Bettering that will go a long way to curing our ills. We simply didn't have it last season. Giants did, and they rolled to another SB win. Their pieces all came together for the playoff run, like ours did in '10. Hopefully we can get ourselves back into the top 5 in sacks this season.

Our scoring D was really quite good as DS mentioned, for most of our games. Sitting back and absorbing on D was to our detriment at the end of games. I would imagine, should the additions pan out, and our pass rush, and our tackling improve significantly, we'll see some unheard of scoring by Green Bay. Our O should be getting far more opportunities with a more stout D closing down drives and handing possession back to Rodgers & Co.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (4h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (21h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (21h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (21h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (22h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.