Zero2Cool
12 years ago

In 2010: Hard-hitting linebacker who ranked fourth on the team in tackles with 76 for the season, tied for second in sacks and had two caused and two recovered fumbles ... Led the team in tackles in the season opener with 10 against Western Carolina ... Tallied 11 tackles for loss in his first year as a starter, he manned the weak side ... Sacked the quarterback in the endzone for a safety to preserve the win over North Carolina ... Forced a fumble and picked off a pass at Clemson.

In 2009: Started the Duke and Florida State contests ... In for a season-high 48 snaps at Wake Forest, his eight tackles at Florida State was his high in that category ... Also caused a fumble against the Seminoles.

In 2008: Redshirted the season as he rehabbed from knee surgery suffered in the last game of his prep career.

Prep: A preseason All-American who recorded an impressive 219 tackles, five sacks, three interceptions, four forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, three quarterback pressures, three passes broken up and one blocked kick as a senior for Coach Mark Barnes ... Named conference defensive player of the year, all-conference and all-region after his senior year ... Selected to play in the Shrine Bowl ... A four-star prospect and the No. 6 weakside linebacker by Scout.com ... Rivals.com ranked him as a four-star recruit, the No. 15 outside linebacker in the nation and the No. 3 player in North Carolina ... Two-time most outstanding defensive player at Scotland HS ... Earned all-conference and all-region honors after collecting 130 tackles, three interceptions and three fumble recoveries as a junior ... Named second-team junior All-American after his junior season ... Also named all-conference after his sophomore season ... An Africana studies major.

UserPostedImage
macbob
12 years ago

04/16/2012 - With the NFL Draft less than two weeks away (April 26-28, New York), Terrell Manning's decision to leave N.C. State after the 2011 season is beginning to look somewhat risky. While most of the draft analysts still see the 6-foot-3, 237-pound outside linebacker as a likely pick, Manning's status has slipped some during the past month. Once assessed as a second-rounder, Manning has slipped into the fourth/fifth round range in several of the projections. A couple of those even think he might wind up in the big post-draft pool of free agents. Manning's decision to go pro no doubt was swayed in part by a knee injury he sustained last season. After surgery he was able to return two weeks later and played a key role in the Wolfpack's strong finish, 8-5 record and bowl win over Louisville. It's not completely impossible that three State linebackers will be drafted. Inside LB Audie Cole is generally projected to go in the third or fourth round. Dwayne Mattox, an outside LB, has a some chance of going late. UNC's Zach Brown has a shot at being the first outside linebacker picked. The first ACC player to go could be Boston College inside LB Luke Kuechly. - The News & Observer

Despite averaging 76 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and five sacks in two starting seasons for the Wolfpack, Manning surprised many with his decision to leave after his junior season. While he's athletic and possesses intriguing natural pass rush skills, Manning is also highly inconsistent. He also is a bit of a medical concern as he missed two games in 2011 with after undergoing minor knee surgery and redshirted the 2008 season due to knee injury suffered in high school a year earlier. With Manning there is upside to consider, however. When Manning returned from the knee injury in October, he went on to enjoy the most productive stretch of his career, twice being named the ACC Linebacker of the Week (North Carolina, Maryland). He was a boom or bust player in these contests as well, however, as he was against Louisville in the Belk Bowl. Manning has obvious athleticism and appears to have the frame capable of bulking up. In an attacking scheme he has the physical skill-set to develop.

Strengths: Good athlete. Shows a natural feel for pass rushing. Very good lateral agility to shake pass blockers. Can attack the edge with speed and has the flexibility to dip low and under the tackle's reach. Is only an average open field tackler overall but closes quickly on relatively immobile quarterbacks. Consistently heavy hitter who flashes explosiveness and the ability to separate the ball. At least adequate ball skills. Obvious untapped potential. Weaknesses: Possesses below average instincts for the linebacker position. Frankly, Manning leaves more plays on the field than he makes. His lateral agility and burst often put him in position to make big plays but he takes questionable routes to the ball and struggles to avoid blockers when in pursuit. Generally an effective open field tackler but doesn't wrap consistently and loses tackles because of it. His athleticism gives him potential in coverage but he shows only average awareness at this time. Suffered a knee injury on Sept. 17 against South Alabama. Underwent "minor" knee surgery and returned to play the final eight games... Redshirted in 2008 after suffering a knee injury during the final game of his high school career.

UserPostedImage
play2win
12 years ago
Hmmm. That's a lot of maneuvering to take this player. Must be more of the stuff they (and others) saw that had him going R2ish, than him possibly going undrafted. Would be great if he turned out to be a gem.
nerdmann
12 years ago
LOL. Ted almost HAS to draft a token offensive player, just so he can keep saying REALLY, IT'S JUST BPA.

Love this draft.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
12 years ago
Competition against back-ups Zombo, Walden, and Jones.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

Competition against back-ups Zombo, Walden, and Jones.

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

I think he plays inside. Either they're replacing Francois or they want to phase Hawk out.

Or maybe he was just the BPA.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Packers_Finland
12 years ago
ILB wasn't a huge need, but I had Manning as a 4th rounder, so it's good value. Maybe keep Bishop, Hawk, DJ and Manning as ILBs on the roster next year. Probably replaces Francois.
This is a placeholder
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
My guess is 5th and 7th were BPA or Ted Thompson would have taken a center.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

FWIW, I know from watching the 49er war room cam that Baalke was not happy when he came off the board two picks ahead of their pick . . . which is probably why Thompson traded up. He wasn’t going to get past #165.

sonoco wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
Packers’ Terrell Manning: I’m as good as any linebacker in the draft 

“I feel like I was as good as any linebacker in this draft,” Manning said.

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (1h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (2h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (2h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (2h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.