Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Something Jeremy said in another thread about high school really resonated with me, and inspired this thread.

So, a little bit of a research question and nosiness on my part...as always please ignore this if you don't want to put this personal info on the table...

Do you consider your high school experience on balance to be bad or good?

Here's my response:

Good: the girlfriend I had my senior year (still the best relationship I've ever had); being a top academic student; enjoying math and band in particular. Doing lots of things I liked (academics, band, cross country, science, chess, basketball, etc.); my brother coming home from college and law school; my dad.

Bad: hazing; not being challenged or challenging myself academically; worrying way too much about what other people think; listening too much to others and putting myself down too much; spending too much time thinking about girls and not enough time pursuing them (first three years); losing my brother; not taking enough advantage of my brilliant, artistic, businessman, master plumber dad, my dog.

Overall: negative, but if to do over, wouldn't give up the good to get rid of the bad.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
coltonja
12 years ago
What a subject, Wade. This is really cool for me since I only have a few years to look back on but can still see how much my life has changed.

Good: Friends some of the best times in my life spent with guys I almost never talk to anymore, sports- basketball, tennis, golf, knowing all the teachers and kids at my school, playing music with my childhood friends and playing shows, not worrying about money at all, not caring abouot what I'll do after school, and being with my family so much.

Bad: I wasn't a Christian in high school, not noticing or caring what was going on in the world, some of the girls weren't so great, not caring about my family as much as I do now, and being complacent with my life.

Overall: I loved high school because of my friends. Without them I don't know what would have happened.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Formo
12 years ago
I have to ask, Wade.. Which thread inspired you?

When someone asks what my high school experience was like, I tend to lump in my out of school experiences in with my high school experiences. Those years are typically the most influential and formidable years in our lives and EVERYTHING that happens to us during that time frame almost certainly helps shape who we are to become.

Good: Football. Some times with friends. Being at school was a way for me to get away from family issues. Not that my family issues were bad, but I was the oldest of 6 kids and my dad was a over the road trucker and my mother at the time was picking up 2nd and 3rd shift hours for extra money. Often nights I babysat my siblings and after they all went to bed I would clean the kitchen, dining and living rooms. School, along with football, was an escape from responsibilities for me I think. Good teachers. No seriously, I recall a handful of teachers that have done an amazing job with me and their teaching styles, while different, we VERY effective for me.

Bad: I was a clique-breaker. I didn't belong, perse, to any one group or clique, but was minorly involved in pretty much them all. But because of that, I didn't have a big group of friends I hung with a lot. I was too shy and afraid of girls. Waaaaay unsure of myself and my abilities. Bad teachers sucked.

Overall: Good. I didn't want to leave high school in many different ways when it came to graduation time.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
alharrisdude31
12 years ago
Good: had a lot of fun, the last two years had a low amount of classes (junior I had 5 out of 8 classes, senior I had 2 out of šŸ˜Ž, and free periods with the guys were fun. Met my lady there, a lot of memories, got to use the power tech. shop to work on my truck just about every day and the teacher liked me so much he would clean up for me šŸ‘ , also met my best friend Kyle who is my motocross partner and best friend.

Bad: Sophomore year I moved and had basically no friends, nothing to do, and was miserable (started drinking then), I almost got arrested when I was accused of assaulting a teacher in a parking lot one night and I knew who really did it.

Overall: A lot of trucks, motorcycles, quads, beer, and especially fun. The parties we had were nuts, and I'm glad I spent my highschool career the way I wanted to.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

I have to ask, Wade.. Which thread inspired you?

Originally Posted by: Formo 

Your response to wpr on the "$100,000 for one day" thread.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
4PackGirl
12 years ago
great thread wade!

good: my 77 chevy silverado pickup, maroon, glass packs, chromed out & THE hottest truck in town. (can ya tell i miss that ole truck?) cruisin around town every fri & sat nite waiting to hear where the DR's were. getting into bars at 16 cuz the owners always thought i was a 'good kid'. (fools!) i also was not part of any cliques - once a rebel always a rebel. did my own thing, didn't give a crap what you had or who you were - if you were cool, i'd hang with ya. band. and flags. wow the fun i had with those.

bad: didn't apply myself at ALL in academics. i learned but didn't really give a shite about grades. the pressure to excel with my music - pushed me into a college that i didn't want to go to & eventually failing miserably trying to be a music major. kind of killed my love of playing music.
alharrisdude31
12 years ago

great thread wade!

good: my 77 chevy silverado pickup, maroon, glass packs, chromed out & THE hottest truck in town. (can ya tell i miss that ole truck?) cruisin around town every fri & sat nite waiting to hear where the DR's were. getting into bars at 16 cuz the owners always thought i was a 'good kid'. (fools!) i also was not part of any cliques - once a rebel always a rebel. did my own thing, didn't give a crap what you had or who you were - if you were cool, i'd hang with ya. band. and flags. wow the fun i had with those.

Originally Posted by: 4PackGirl 

Sounds like a good ol' time, wish there were more of those kinds of people around here!

Pack93z
12 years ago
My High School years really were like two completely different segments.. before and after thy wreck.

Before:

Good: Being biggest and stronger than most kids in high school, let alone my grade I excelled at two of the three big sports.. Football and Basketball. Baseball was coming with the addition of contact lenses in place of glasses, my strikeout rate was dropping and I was becoming a better overall pitcher.. starting really to locate my pitches in place of just trying to throw it by the hitters. Excelling at sports got me in most of the happenings.. dating wasn't an issue and overall felt invincible.

Bad: Allowed my ego to blind me from reality for the most part.. was immature, cocky and not the person I wanted to be when I looked in the mirror.

After:

Good: I was forced to mature and starting to learn to adapt and accept the realities of life (albeit during those years I did not see this benefit.), started to be the person I was prior to becoming a "jock" and layered a inner strength and calmness I use yet today.

Bad: I was a lost soul, drank way to much ( drinking from a liter of vodka was a common before school, during breaks, etc) depressed and angry. Oh so angry at myself and the world.

Overall: I had no choice but to either swim in the river of life or drown myself in self pity and rage.. and I gave it a hell of a run at the later. Yet, through it all.. again.. it forged a hardness, a calmness, an understanding of the challenges of life that has powered me daily from there. Overall it was positive.. even through I lost my life long dreams, it taught me more than that dream probably ever would have.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
I am too tired to read all of your posts tonight. Looks interesting.

My comments off the top of my head

I loved being a wrestler. I had a very few close friends. I had a decent job working at the local Hardees. I got a lot of hours and food and made a few bucks. My parents took care of nearly all my expenses so the money I made I could spend any way I wanted. I enjoyed most of my classes and instructors. While I did have some responsibility at home it was not overwhelming.
bad part would be I was not one of the most gifted kids in school with looks, brains or athletic talent. So naturally I was not very popular. I did under achieve in all aspects. I rarely went on a date. More of them my Sr year than the prior years. My freshman year was spent at a Catholic Seminary. That ended up being pretty miserable.

One of the things that helped was I was able to have some friendships with the athletic guy groups though not extremely close friendships. One of the things that hurt was my younger brother (2 years) was one of the kings of the school. Homecoming Rep Fr Soph & Jr year. King his Sr year. All State in football. Should have been All State in wrestling but he pissed it away. Many people live in the shadow of an older sibling. I lived in the shadow of my younger brother. Don't get me wrong. i love my brother and it was not his fault that he over shadowed me. I went to my 10 year HS reunion. A large number of people that I was my younger brother. They were certain HE was in THEIR class not me. When they found out I wasn't they asked about him. Other knew he was younger than we were. They still asked about him. I have never gone back to another reunion. We just had our 35th last summer. They were all busy on facebook making plans. I didn't go. I just don't care.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
12 years ago
Good: Can't think of anything. Looking back on high school if given the chance I would go back and do literally everything differently.

Bad: Slept through most of it. Had no confidence to go after girls that I really would have gotten had i tried. Quit sports because I was way too small to compete and would have spent all the time on the bench.

The more I think about those years the more I see how my parents divorced completely changed who I was and completely changed how my high school years went.

Given the chance I would not have decided to abandon my group of friends for another. I would not quit sports because of the size disadvantage, I would have used it as motivation to hit the gym hard. I would have chased all those girls I could have gotten. I would not have gotten sucked into pro-gaming. I would not have said no to all those opportunities I had to make bad decisions, just to stay home and do nothing. Bad decisions are what your teenage years are for. I would have not slept through every class. I would have worked my ass off to get into the best schools/programs I could. I would have cut my fucking hair.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (3h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (4h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (21h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (21h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (21h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (21h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: ā€œGot in a fight with the bench press. I lost.ā€
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.