play2win
12 years ago

If we stay at 28 I am thinking the pick will be who is available between Worthy, McLellin, and Harrison Smith.

Brockers and Upshaw rankings have been dropping according to the pundits. I wonder if Ted would see them as a fit?

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

I'll be a bit pissed if we take a S in R1.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: play2win 

Probably the same person who was pissed off that the Packers (coming off a 10 win season and Division Title) used their first round pick on a Quarterback too.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
12 years ago

I think the Safety position is pretty damn important as evidence last year. Really the only changes to our D last season from our Superbowl was losing Jenkins to FA and Collins getting injured. 2 positions meant a huge decline. Granted Collins is (I don't want to say was) one of the best safeties in the league and will be hard to replace, but obviously we need to look at the possibility that he may never play as a Packer again.

Our divisional opponents have 2 above average QBs and a young guy who I think will be above average in the future. I want guys who can defend the pass. If he can lay out huge hits like Smith is supposedly able to do, so much the better because I want those guys to fear going into the middle of the field, because they certainly didn't last year.

Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I think the Safety position is pretty damn important as evidence last year. Really the only changes to our D last season from our Superbowl was losing Jenkins to FA and Collins getting injured. 2 positions meant a huge decline. Granted Collins is (I don't want to say was) one of the best safeties in the league and will be hard to replace, but obviously we need to look at the possibility that he may never play as a Packer again.

Our divisional opponents have 2 above average QBs and a young guy who I think will be above average in the future. I want guys who can defend the pass. If he can lay out huge hits like Smith is supposedly able to do, so much the better because I want those guys to fear going into the middle of the field, because they certainly didn't last year.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

No doubt losing Nick Collins was the biggest downfall, but if the Packers had Cullen Jenkins-like player at DE, it wouldn't have been as drastic. Why? Because a solid DL can make the secondary look better.

Get beast up front and the secondary will be "all pro" again.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
The defense was getting burned before Collins was injured because of no pass rush. A pass rusher is more important than a safety of equal talent. The DBs will look much better, especially Woodson, with a decent pass rush.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Yerko
12 years ago

I can see why you would be as I do believe our pass rush should be the first thing addressed in this years draft. Ted Thompson has already done that a little by adding Anthony Hargrove to the roster but it would be nice to see another OLB added first before any other position.

S is still a huge need for this team and the only S that should be going in the 1st round is Barron. Harrison Smith will hopefully be there in round 2 if the Pack can make a move up and grab him.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I too would be disappointed if we took a safety first. We have three critical needs 1)pass rush 2)pass rush and 3)pass rush. I'm sure Ted Thompson realizes this, along with everyone else on God's green earth. I'm hoping we can get a DL with the first because I think we have a better chance of getting a good LB in the second than the same level DL.

Brockers and Upshaw have been lower on some of the mocks I've seen also. Some have each coming to the Pack. Brockers is really intrigueing with his great size. But he may not be one to help us in the immediate as most say he is very raw. Upshaw's speed at the combine was weak, but instincts can make up for a lot of speed and might he get faster and quicker with a little weight loss. I believe it would be important to really do your homework, a good workout and watching film, to be confident he will do well at this level. Just my thoughts.
TheKanataThrilla
12 years ago

The defense was getting burned before Collins was injured because of no pass rush. A pass rusher is more important than a safety of equal talent. The DBs will look much better, especially Woodson, with a decent pass rush.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

Collins got injured in game 2. In game 1 we played the Saints. Hard to really tell how much it wasn't because of a lack of Collins as both the Saints and the Panthers were putting up huge pass numbers.
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
True it was a limited exposure, but they were getting burned. I still believe a pass is more important. And I confident it would be the consensus opinion. Now, if you want to weight it, say an All Pro safety against a mediocre pass rusher I'll take the All Pro.
TheKanataThrilla
12 years ago

True it was a limited exposure, but they were getting burned. I still believe a pass is more important. And I confident it would be the consensus opinion. Now, if you want to weight it, say an All Pro safety against a mediocre pass rusher I'll take the All Pro.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

We need both. We just need to select the best talent at the number we select.

For the record Mayock has Harrison Smith ranked as his 28th (shocking) best player on his board. So he is climbing the boards from the 2nd round ranking most had previously given him. Barron for the record is 7 so there is no way in hell we are getting him.

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.