Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Gut check folks!! hahaha Bill has an interesting write up here. Click his name to view more articles he's written.

Are you becoming the kind of fan that you hate?

For years, it was the other guy: Bears fans, Cubs fans, Cowboys fans, Michigan fans.......

They were rude, arrogant, spoiled, entitled...all the things you weren't as a Packers fan, right?

Now go and look at yourself in the mirror. Have you become that guy?. When you hear fans of other teams talk about how obnoxious Packers fans are, are they talking about you?

It's bound to happen when the team that you follow is good, and with the exception of a few blips, the Packers have been good for 20 years. 20 years means that most of the fans in their 20's and early 30's have no idea what it's like to be bad. Nothing wrong with that. Don't let anyone fool you, being bad sucks. It's no fun to be a laughing stock, especially when the two chief rivals of your team, the Bears and Vikings, are good. There is no honor in being a bad team.

Two decades of winning has spoiled the fan base.

I understand that the ultimate goal is to win championships. The Packers did that two years ago. Last season, they appeared to be on the fast track to repeating. In spite of a porous defense, the Packers rolled through the regular season at 15-1, the best record in the storied franchise's long history. Aaron Rodgers was the NFL MVP and the leader of a record setting offense.

Then, the Packers lost to the Giants in their first playoff game.

Disappointment is understandable, but some of the reaction of Packers' fans, and the media that cover them, has been embarrassing. Some fans demanded that Ted Thompson immediately go away from his successful draft and develop formula in favor of quick fixes through high priced free agents. When Thompson didn't explore this high risk low reward option, many fans expressed their disappointment through social media. One that I saw went as far as to say "It's gonna be a long year." When I pressed him on his definition of a "long year" he said no better than .500.

I know this is an incredibly small sample, but they were 15-1. Mario Williams must be the greatest player ever if he would make that type of difference.

The Packers were 9-7 in 1992. They signed Reggie White and improved to...9-7 in 1993. The move would obviously pay huge dividends down the road, but the point is that moves are not and cannot be made solely for the short term. Fans want short term fixes. They rarely work in the NFL. Look it up.

Speaking of social media, another example of poor behavior by Packers fans is on Twitter.

Not all of you, just some of you.

Some of you believe that while you can have your own Twitter account and tell the world everything from your kid's latest Nobel worthy exploits to the humorous aftermath of your eighth Schlitz on Friday night, your favorite Packer writer doesn't have that right. For some reason, you believe that, even though Twitter is free, the beat writer for your favorite team should only concentrate on what you're interested in. Anything beyond what you're interested in receives an immediate rebuke. "How dare you Tweet anything other than Packers news!!! After all, you belong to me!!!!" If that doesn't work, you threaten to "unfollow" the beat writer for your favorite team. You could just unfollow without any hoopla, but this way the world can see your extreme displeasure. Hopefully, the threat of losing such a devoted and valued Packers fan will make the beat writer change his ways and customize his Tweets to meet your specific needs.

You sound like a swell guy.

After the Packers lost, it wasn't just the writers that incurred the wrath of certain Packers fans. Packer players, who aren't required by anyone to maintain and use Twitter accounts, became the targets of cowardly attacks from "fans" suddenly blessed with giant beach muscles thanks to the internet and anonymity. Some even went as far as to attack Jermichael Finley's wife. You know what they say, "It takes a big man to anonymously kick a woman when she's down." (boy, it sounds even more cowardly in print. Good sentence, Bill!!!)

We are living at a wonderful time. The Packers are one of the NFL's best teams. As long as Aaron Rodgers, Ted Thompson, and Mike McCarthy are around, it looks like those good times will last awhile.

We also have access to more information than ever before. It's not just Packers writers. Fans can now communicate with national writers and reporters, even certain players and coaches. Fans have more access than they've ever had before, and most of it is free.

Bill Johnson  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Packerchick
12 years ago
A great Packers fan would just get over their losses and move on. If we have a bump in the road, its a good thing; it brings us down a few notches and brings us back to the horror of reality.

But hey, its better than say, being a vikings fan.
I am a woman and I love football.
nerdmann
12 years ago
The whole idea of being "spoiled" is stupid. I'm a F'n asshole, no matter how good or bad our team is!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
zombieslayer
12 years ago
So he mentioned Reggie White. Well, the year before Brett Favre became a full-time starter, we were 4-12. Then 9-7. So one player can make a big difference.

I'm pretty much convinced that two players made the difference from 2010 to 2011 - Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. Yes, it was the opposite. Regular season records sometimes don't make sense though. We were a better team in 2010 than in 2011.

As for bad fan, no. I still have painful memories of the 70s and the 80s. I had to wear my Packers jerseys in San Francisco when they won 4 Super Bowls in the decade before Brett Favre and Reggie White became Packers. We were horrible, with one Playoff appearance in 1982 and that's it. Niner fans loved to boast loudly how awesome they were as they won Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

So no. I'm not "that guy."

Still looking for another sucker to bet with though.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
vikesrule
12 years ago

The whole idea of being "spoiled" is stupid. I'm a F'n asshole, no matter how good or bad our team is!

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

A biker walks into a Green Bay bar and shouts, "All Green Bay Packer fans are assholes!"
He looks around, obviously hoping for a challenge.
Finally a guy comes up to him, taps him on the shoulder, and says, "Take that back!"
The biker says, "Why? Are you a Green Bay Packers fan?"
He says, "No, I'm an asshole."

Green Bay Packer fans give assholes a bad name.....[roflmao]
dhazer
12 years ago

A biker walks into a Green Bay bar and shouts, "All Green Bay Packer fans are assholes!"
He looks around, obviously hoping for a challenge.
Finally a guy comes up to him, taps him on the shoulder, and says, "Take that back!"
The biker says, "Why? Are you a Green Bay Packers fan?"
He says, "No, I'm an asshole."

Green Bay Packer fans give assholes a bad name.....[roflmao]

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

ok Vikes that got me to giggle I will admit lol
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah. This. Slapnuts

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

So he mentioned Reggie White. Well, the year before Brett Favre became a full-time starter, we were 4-12. Then 9-7. So one player can make a big difference.

I'm pretty much convinced that two players made the difference from 2010 to 2011 - Cullen Jenkins and Nick Collins. Yes, it was the opposite. Regular season records sometimes don't make sense though. We were a better team in 2010 than in 2011.

As for bad fan, no. I still have painful memories of the 70s and the 80s. I had to wear my Packers jerseys in San Francisco when they won 4 Super Bowls in the decade before Brett Favre and Reggie White became Packers. We were horrible, with one Playoff appearance in 1982 and that's it. Niner fans loved to boast loudly how awesome they were as they won Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

So no. I'm not "that guy."

Still looking for another sucker to bet with though.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Favre took a team that had been 10-6 a couple years before to 9-7 for 3 consecutive years. Then Reggie showed up and won a super bowl.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
vikesrule
12 years ago

Favre took a team that had been 10-6 a couple years before to 9-7 for 3 consecutive years. Then Reggie showed up and won a super bowl.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Actually, that 10-6 record was in 1989, so it was three years prior to Favre, not "a couple"(as in 2).

And the only reason that the Packers were 10-6 that year was because of that great 1st round draft pick...Tony Mandarich.
The packers then went 6-10 in 1990 and 4-12 in 1991.

Favre shows up in 1992 and Reggie White in 1993.

So the packers then went 9-7 for 1992, 1993 and 1994...Favre for all three years(he was not the starter for the entire 1992)season and White for two years.

The Packers were then spanked for three consecutive years by zombieslayer's favorite team in 93, 94 and 95.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
The story refers to a very small group of ignorant people. They would be obnoxious whether or not they were Packers fans. If you compared a random group of Packers fans to fans from other teams there would be less obnoxious fans who follow GB than Giants, Eagles, Lions or most of the other professional sports franchises. Those who "shout back" how they hate Packers fans are some of the very ones who others find obnoxious as well.

Since he refers to social media in general and twitter specifically that suggests to me they are young. Don't blame all Packer fans for a few loud mouth "teenagers" (That includes youngsters into their mid 20's). They are going to be loud mouthed no matter what the issue. Prior to the internet we didn't have to hear what they said on a global basis. Only their family and friends had to suffer through the lack of them using their brain. Some of them will eventually grow up and learn to be decent productive citizens in this nation others will drift over to following the Bears, Cubs and vikings.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (37m) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-May / Around The NFL / bboystyle

27-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.