Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Matt's article, well written by the way , had me thinking ... do the Dolphins have anything the Packers could trade Driver for? I think trading him to Joe Philbin for a "need" might lessen the fan base's displeasure, but more importantly it would get the Packers something in return.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

Matt's article, well written by the way , had me thinking ... do the Dolphins have anything the Packers could trade Driver for? I think trading him to Joe Philbin for a "need" might lessen the fan base's displeasure, but more importantly it would get the Packers something in return.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Or, we could trade him to a team that HAS something we want. I've been thinking about a trade myself, that wouldn't necessarily involve DD. We could package James Jones and Hawk for instance. Get a nice pass rusher or DE. Dare I say even a draft pick.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Or, we could trade him to a team that HAS something we want. I've been thinking about a trade myself, that wouldn't necessarily involve DD. We could package James Jones and Hawk for instance. Get a nice pass rusher or DE. Dare I say even a draft pick.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I mentioned the Dolphins because it related to article. It doesn't take even a brain-dead fool to understand it would be open to trade to anyone.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
I am for it.
What is DD worth? I doubt they will get a 3rd round pick for him. Most likely a 5th.
They have stock piled so many picks this year I would mind them trading him and then waiting a year to get a 4th for him.

What would be really funny is if GB was able to trade DD to Miami for the Bears' 3rd round pick and they draft a real stud who was able to bust the Bears chops for the next 10 years while Marshall turned out to be a major flop.
UserPostedImage
lolleren
12 years ago
I dont think DD has any trade value, doubt anyone wants him at his current contract.
blank
Pack93z
12 years ago
While a very compelling argument can be and was made by Porky and because of how the Roster Bonus was written into the contract, not due until the start  of training camp, we have some time for the process to work itself through.

First, how are some of the younger guys progressing that we held over from last season, most notably Tori Gurley and Shaky Smithson. IMO, exposing Cobb on special teams heightens the risk of injury; being we are a pass first team, honestly we have to have a bear minimum of 5 receivers available at all times probably 6 if Cobb is the primary returner.

Second, is there truly a market for Driver with his current contract in place? If he is willing to rework his contract, why not just do it and stay in Green Bay?

Third, I know publicly Driver has set 40 is the goal to play until, but is that the same privately set stance? If he or the Packers think 2011 was just a bump in the road, it probably is, but if honestly he knows that his play is slipping, is that reality.

Yes..yes.. there is no place in today's NFL to show a sense of loyalty to a team player, but if DD knows this is his final campaign and there isn't a notable difference between him and another #5/6.. I could see him making the numbers work to have his walk year end in Green Bay.

I would find it hard pressed that Driver would not be on the 5 best receivers on this squad, losing a step in consideration. There is something to be said for that guy that can sit down in the middle of the field and make the tough catch.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nerdmann
12 years ago
I don't think DD has enough in the tank to give him much trade value. What value he has is value to the Packers. Therefore I think that if a trade goes down, it will be JJ or maybe Hawk that gets traded, which may enable DD to make the team again for one more year.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
You're right. A closer to 40 than a team wants for any player WR that is getting 500-600 yards a season now isn't exactly screaming "back up the truck an get this guy on board!"

Donald Drivers truest value is in a Packers uniform both on the field and currently off it as well.

I maintain, if he proves he's one of five best WR in camp, he should stay on a reduced salary and enjoy going out the Michael Strahan and John Elway and Jerome Bettis way ... with a ring in his final season.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago
Driver has more real value to the Packers than any other team. While he can still play, the fact of the matter is that he's old and not getting any younger, and has two years left in the tank tops (I'm 90% sure he's done after this year). Correct me if I'm wrong, but teams typically don't sign old WRs to 1 year contracts, do they? Regardless, he'd be a #2 WR at best on a terrible team and a #3 or #4 on most teams. This isn't to take anything away from DD, but the fact of the matter is that he's slowing down and isn't quite as sure-handed as he used to be.

Which brings me back to my original point. DD has value in Green Bay as a leader and positive veteran personality both on and off the field, and is fantastic for public relations. While I'm sure he could bring some of that to another team, you can't build up that many years worth of connections and respect in a new market overnight.
Cheesey
12 years ago
The last few comments are just like i feel.
He has more value to us then as a trade.
He's STILL a pretty darn good WR. And lets face it, one injury, and he could be needed alot.
Keep him at a lesser role, but keep him if he's willing to stay at a lowe pay rate.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.