dyeah_gb
12 years ago
It is clear at this point that Bush is never going to step up as a starting CB or safety. He has been really beneficial on special teams though.

Overall, I think Grant played better than Starks this season if you ignore the gut wrenching fumble this last week. He still should take a major pay cut for the crap he pulled during the Favre fiasco.

I would like a trade for Finley if possible. I know his presence produces opportunities for this offense but his drops killed us this season and he I just feel he is overrated. I also don't think his hands are going to get much better given the amount of time he has already been with the offense.

Objectively, DD should not be starting next year but It will be a bummer to let him go. He seems like a great guy and has had a great career with this team. I guess he will conclude that it is time to hang it up before Ted Thompson has to.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
gbguy20
12 years ago

Wells: essential to keep. I'm seriously pissed if they let one of their two best OL get away.
Driver: given the way he bucked the tide and played well against NYG, I'm for trying to find a way to keep him, even if it means losing one of the PS duo of WR.
Green: He was one of my favorites last year, but was pretty much a non-factor this year. I attribute it to the lockout and not being in shape at the start of camp. I'd try to make a deal that gave him a shot to report in shape, and see how he performs in pre-season.
Grant: I think he should be back. RB is not the Packers problem by a long shot. But if he isn't back we're putting too much faith in Starks/Green to stay healthy or Green/Saine to progress big time. In short we're creating a problem area when we've already got several (DL, OL backup at least, LB, S).

I also think Ted should take out the wallet and actively pursue a good starter at DE and/or and/or DL and/or LB in free agency. Even if it means overpaying for a "name" (Calais Campbell and Mario Williams come to mind). That won't happen, of course. But can't stop me from wishing.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

I actually whole heartedly agree with this post. I do not value either practice squad guy over Driver. Everything you said about Grant/our running back situation is spot on. I also would not be against keeping finley now that he is going to be much cheaper than we all thought. I would be shocked if he has the dropsies again next season.

I don't see us getting a real big impact player at our main positions of need on the defense through the draft. I would LOVE to see Ted go out and get a DE/OLB. I do not however, expect it.
musccy
12 years ago

Grant: I think he should be back. RB is not the Packers problem by a long shot. But if he isn't back we're putting too much faith in Starks/Green to stay healthy or Green/Saine to progress big time. In short we're creating a problem area when we've already got several (DL, OL backup at least, LB, S).

I think this is a good point, especially about Starks. I have become much less enamored with him as the season progressed, obviously due to health, but he still seems to be making huge mental mistakes.

There was a run play in the 1st half on Sunday where he was lined up on the wrong side, looked lost at the snap, so ARod just ran between Wells and Lang for a confusing yet lucky gain. He had many drops, some shitty blitz pick ups, and he's now 2 years in. He's proven to be a hard nosed runner IF he's healthy - but there are too many "ifs" with Starks at this point to assume he can carry the load.
musccy
12 years ago

A good example was a 3rd and 11 in the first quarter where we rushed 3. The Giants kept 7 guys to block on that play so we had 8 defenders to cover 3 receivers. Eli hit Nicks for about 15 yards and the pass wasn't even contested he just caught it and went down. The pass rush this year shouldn't get any more blame than the secondary, both were pretty awful for the most part.

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

I think you make a great point about the numbers mismatch. I agree with what Wade said that whenever we rushed 3, you could bet your house on the Packers not getting within 3 city blocks of the QB, but at the same time, if you have a 2:1 ratio of defenders to receivers still failing miserabley in coverage, what does that say about our LBs and DBs. This was one of the poorest rated pass defenses in NFL history, and they looked the part all season long as well.
El3ment12
12 years ago
I would be so sad if we got rid of Driver. Dude has been a baller for forever and is classy as hell. I hope we keep him.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
By the way, re: Driver.

Do you realize that two of the teams where he could end up are in the division? How much would that suck if he ends up with Chicago or Minnesota?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
blueleopard
12 years ago

Do you realize that two of the teams where he could end up are in the division? How much would that suck if he ends up with Chicago or Minnesota?

If that's what happens, that's what happens.

As much as we all love Donald Driver, it appears he's lost a step.

Look, if he was every bit as good as he was three years ago, more balls would be thrown his way. He spent most of Sunday's game covered by linebackers, which meant the Giants didn't view him as a threat. Sure, he made good catches for first downs, but that's about it.

Had the balls gone to James Jones or Randall Cobb, they probably had a better chance of going the distance. Driver being in the lineup takes opportunities away for these more athletic receivers, and with what we have in Cobb (who very well could be the next Percy Harvin or Santana Moss), we can't afford to have his progression retarded.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Yerko
12 years ago

While I don't view him as much of a threat on those two teams, the other thing that should be thought about is he is going to want to be with a team that has a good chance of going to the Super Bowl. Minnesota and Chicago aren't the two best options for that. Playing time, sure...probably two of the better teams to go to.

UserPostedImage
Yerko
12 years ago
Matt Flynn - He is gone in one of two ways...Packers just let him hit the market (teams immediately flock to him) or the Packers tag-n-trade him to another team (assuming they don't tag Finley). Flynn has been a valuable back up and his time has come.

Scott Wells - If there is any FA we need to be re-signed, it is Scott Wells. He is the anchor of this very young offensive line and losing him would hurt the offense tremendously without any guaranteed back-up.

Ryan Grant - Very partial on him right now. He showed a lot of positives this season and managed to stay healthy, while James Starks was once again injured, Alex Green was put on IR, and Brandon Saine had a small glimpse of being an okay player. Grant has been serviceable for this pass happy offense. Because of the lack of performance (and confidence I have) in the other 3 names, I'd say Grant re-signs with the Packers.

Jarett Bush - Great gunner, but continues to look lost in coverage a lot (our entire backfield did so...). Low on the totem pole.

Jermichael Finley- To let a guy of his caliber go would be the dumbest thing the Packers can possibly do. He draws double teams a majority of the time he is on the field and presents so many mismatches. So he had the dropsies this season...other receivers have as well. Why wasn't anyone calling for their heads? Still don't get the anti-Finley stuff. This is one of TT's guys and he will not give up on a player like Finley. He gave Bustin' Justin plenty of time on much worse circumstances.

Add this to the mix, via Twitter, "MM: Finley is talented and young. He needs offseason program. He will continue to grow and be outstanding player for us."

Yeah, he is sticking.

Howard Green - Hoping the Packers draft better defensive linemen so they don't have to keep liabilities such as Howard Green.

Pat Lee - Bye bye.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
First thing is to shake Chad Clifton's hand for his years of dependable service and close that chapter. 7+ Million becomes free.

Then I start dialog with Driver.. really sit down and talk about 2012 and his thoughts after that. If something can be worked out to make it less of a financial burden to retain him.. if not you let him part from the Packers. To me.. it really depends on what he has to say about realistically playing beyond 2012. If he really wants to do so.. then I think the right thing to do is allow him to find a team in which will carry his contract for more than 1 more season. He says he wants to play til 40 publicly... if that is the same privately.. shake his hand.

Those two moves and the cap space surrounding them make a ton of difference in addressing the upcoming crowd of FA.

To me.. Wells is on top of that list... the interior of the line finally is playing well.. he is what he is.. a sturdy yet not dominating player at center. He isn't going to maul anyone.. but he is rarely beat.

Flynn... Matt Flynn is not coming back.. he has been the faithful understudy to Rodgers, many of his ilk have come and gone like him in the past twenty years.. the market to move him was this preseason... he had a down preseason and the market wasn't there. He capped a 2010 start with a very impressive 2011 start.. He isn't going to sign here long term and let us dictate his next move. That window is closed. Personally I like Harrell just as much as I liked Flynn.. so I think we scoop up a 3rd stringer this draft (Russell Wilson anyone) and start developing again.

Finley is the wildcard.. can we break through into his head and get him to truly focus on the game? If so.. re-ink him.. pay him what he will command and help him realize his potential. If not..

Bush.. depends on what he commands on the market.. he might not be an every down defensive player.. but the guy has value on special teams and provides depth at many a spot.

Lee.. See you.. good luck.

Grant - the free agent market on Backs the last couple years hasn't been strong.. that bodes well for him returning if both parties wish that to be the case. IMO.. he gives you some assurance at the position. Green and Saine I think have futures in this league.. Saine IMO will be a player for the Packers because he can step in and pass protect.. catch the ball.. and can carry the rock. Probably will never be a star.. but a dependable back. I would still love the Packers to add a quick little back to apply pressure on third downs out of the backfield.

Another conversation to have is with Woodson.. do you commit that type of money to a player that at this point doesn't really have a set position. Can't stick on the outside at this point, so really is a nickel back quasi S/LB. Guy still can play the game.. just at what cost to us in the pocket book.

Green. One Dimensional player.. a hole stuffer. Less of a pass rush threat than anyone on the team.. I would bring him back on the right terms and let him earn a spot on the roster next season. But if they count on him in anything but a situational player next season.. meaning we don't have guys beat him out in camp overall.. then it says tons about the shape of our defensive line for next season.

I expect the Packers to address the offensive line depth, defensive line and edge box defenders come the off season. We have enough talent elsewhere to play.. that is if Collins comes back.

If Nick Collins is out.. I think it is time for Woodson or another veteran leader to step into the backend of that secondary.

BTW.. I am not convinced the Williams was healthy this season after dinging his shoulder early on.. not one bit.. he consistently played off and gambled with his head more than playing sound football this season. My opinion.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.