Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Here's one of the rare items that is worthy of being posted for archiving. Remember, please click the authors name to support their tireless effort.

Green Bay - Somebody, quick, snap Nick Collins back to reality. He's smiling and won't stop smiling. The Green Bay Packers safety stares off at the Fox River, refreshed and blissfully oblivious.

His season was over in Week 2. His career could be over. And here he is laughing, loving life.

As an icy gust of wind sweeps through, Collins points toward patches of ice forming on the river. "No," he laughs, "you never get used to winters here." But this is his home. On injured reserve, he never abandoned Green Bay. Donning a red shirt that reads "By Any Means" - in bold, black letters - you just know. Nick Collins isn't done yet.

"I feel great. I feel normal. I feel like I could go out there right now," he said.

This is the calm before the storm, the waiting period.

Three months ago, Collins had cervical fusion surgery to repair a bulging disc between his C3 and C4 vertebrae. A bone graft was taken from his hip and put in his neck. He had the surgery with one purpose in mind - to play football again.

Soon, in one or two months, he'll learn more. Doctors will examine how much his neck has healed and outline the risks.

The doctors. His wife. His four kids. The team. Collins will take input from everyone. And then, it's his call.

"If everything's good, then we're going," he said. "If (doctors) say there's a slight chance of something, then that's it."

Quickly, the 28-year-old intercepts his pessimism. He doesn't muddy his conscience with doomsday scenarios. He rarely contemplates this looming decision. It'd be counterproductive. Instead, Collins is in team meeting rooms and on the sideline during games. He's rehabbing regularly. .

And at home, he's finally a full-time dad. That's what will make the decision difficult. Collins wants to be healthy for his family, for the long haul. So, for now, Collins stays upbeat.

"For myself to get down, that means I'll get lazy and not want to do anything," Collins said. "I'd start thinking I don't want to play again. I don't want that mind-set. I want my mind-set to be always positive and just keep going and make as much progress as I can and go from there."

Optimism was empty on Sept. 18. That day, his wife was in shock and his 4-year-old son cried in horror. When Collins suffered his neck injury at Carolina, his family had no clue how bad it was. Collins was on the ground, three trainers hovered over him and the broadcast faded into a commercial break.

The suspense was surreal. Hysteria overtook the Collins household.

So many times on TV, Collins saw these injuries. Player A leads with his head into Player B and lays motionless on the ground. For seconds, for minutes.

"You're just hoping they get up," Collins said. Now, he was the victim. Panthers running back Jonathan Stewart leapt into the air and Collins' head scraped across his thigh. His whole body went numb. The sensation was "crazy." It was "ironic." It was "different."

But it was never painful. His family never knew, but Collins felt zero pain. He never blacked out at all.

On the ground, Collins said he saw Stewart running and yelled, "Get him down! Somebody get him!"

Once trainers flipped his body over, his feeling returned. A half-hour later, a team doctor filled in Nick's wife, Andrea Collins. She heard her husband's distinctive laugh inside the ambulance and knew he was fine. This wasn't like some neck injuries. Collins' spinal cord didn't twist in a life-threatening way.

Collins was walking and talking and laughing. He took the team flight back and many teammates assumed he was fine. He wasn't. The next day, coach Mike McCarthy asked Collins if he wanted to deliver the news himself and he did.

"Everybody was a little shocked," Collins said. "That was probably one of the hardest moments of the whole thing. Guys were just looking like, 'For real? Stop playing.' They saw me up and moving around. I had a neck brace on but they said, 'You're moving around. What's really going on?' So . . . I think . . . that was 'ahhh,' what can I say?' "

Not much. The whole injury seemed fluky - shouldn't there be some pain, some damage? Instead of asking questions, Collins never dipped into mourning.

Frank Cammisa of New York performed a successful surgery on Collins 11 days later and he moved on. He accepted the injury. No "Why me?" melodrama.

And instead of retreating to Gainesville, Fla., he stayed in Green Bay. Sticking around would allow Collins to help and convince him he'd return again. It's a mind game.

He's in the cold tub, in the pool, getting massages and lifting weights. Collins can't press dumbbells above his head but is trying to strengthen the muscles around his neck the best he can. It's all important; it all keeps him involved.

About once a week, Collins pops into the safeties' meeting room to offer advice. He tries to help without being intrusive.

On game day, he's on the sideline. His advice is specific. Collins' playmaking ability didn't click overnight. The 5-foot-11, 207-pounder had only four interceptions in his first three seasons.

Gradually, homework paid off. He earned Pro Bowl berths in each of his next three seasons, picking off 17 passes. Attention to detail, studying tendencies, living in the offense's huddle became his greatest weapons.

So that's how he helps out current starters Morgan Burnett and Charlie Peprah.

"To have a veteran guy in your corner takes the pressure off you," Burnett said. "It makes you feel comfortable to go out and make plays…He tells us to trust our eyes, trust what we see. Trust what you see and go ahead and make a play on the ball."

In Green Bay's 45-38 win at San Diego, Collins called both interceptions returned for touchdowns. Peprah's 40-yarder for a score? "Told him that was coming." Tramon Williams' 43-yarder? "I knew that slant was coming."

Then again, one injured player can only do so much. Collins' loss is felt weekly. The Packers are allowing 289 passing yards per game, 31st in the NFL.

"Trash, garbage yards," Collins calls it. He says the secondary is performing just fine. But his acumen cannot be replaced. At times, communication problems have dogged the secondary. Other times, the players miss Collins' makeup speed. He erased coverage breakdowns.

Watching from afar can be stressful.

"I wasn't there last week, but I was at the house saying, 'Here comes this play!' It's kind of crazy," Collins said. "I'll go in sometimes and watch film, but the majority of the time, I don't try to disturb those guys. I'll let them focus. But I'm sitting there - haven't watched much film - and I can sit there, know the formation and say, 'Here it comes. Here it comes.' "

Sure, Collins remains a presence at Lambeau Field, but for every film session, there are at least five diaper sessions.

"It's nonstop," Collins said.

Collins first learned how to change a diaper at 13 years old, for his baby niece. Now, he's a diaper aficionado.

His fourth child, Nash, was born five weeks ago. Collins also has a 7-year-old daughter, Jenajah, and two sons. Nicholas Jr. is 4 and Nmar'e is 2. Collins admits he had been a distant dad. He missed milestones - their first steps, their first words, their first day of school.

Now, time has slowed down to a crawl and Collins couldn't be happier. There are never any conflicts with their soccer games. In the morning, he genuinely enjoys seeing his kids get on the school bus. His football career on pause, he's appreciating fatherhood.

"I've been playing this game for so long; I missed out on so much," Collins said. "It's an opportunity for me to just catch up on some of the activities that they're involved in. You just think about all the stuff you missed out on and say, 'Wow.' "

Cornerback Jarrett Bush sees this change.

"This has given him time to spend with his family, which is obviously everybody's priority," Bush said. "He's playing with his kids and that's quality time. It's quality time."

Yes, Collins has envisioned a life beyond football. He has already been contacted about a potential coaching career. Collins said his old high school (Dixie County High School in Florida) and college (Bethune-Cookman) both reached out.

He listens. He processes. He tells them to hang on.

When judgment day arrives, Collins knows he'll probably be nervous. But it's not time to move on yet, not time to exhale into a reflective state. He fights the urge.

Nearly every day, somebody on Twitter sends Collins a video of his interception returned for a touchdown at the Super Bowl. That still frame of the free safety knelt down on the Cowboys Stadium turf - arms outstretched, head tilted upward - could be his lasting image. His legacy.

He reached the apex of his profession. Why risk anything?

Sitting down, fiddling with his headphones, Collins pauses. It's not time.

"I still feel that I'm a young man with a lot to offer to the game," Collins said. "Once I get back, I'm just going to let it go."

Tyler Dunne  wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Trying to find that article/audio deal that made it sound like Nick Collins had a good chance to play football again. As I think more about this, what doctor is going to give Nick Collins his prognosis that his neck has healed sufficiently that he won't get paralyzed by playing football?

I'm thinking every doctor is going to say there is some risk involved and that's going to force Nick Collins into retirement. Which, I think he should do in my opinion.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
12 years ago
I don't agree with his "trash, garbage yards" reasoning though. Every time the D made a stop this year (either FG, turnover, or otherwise) it was usually after giving up a 5+ minute drive. They could do that for a couple quarters it seemed like but by the end of the game they were on the field so much that they would start just giving up TDs. Luckily the offense usually got them way ahead so it didn't technically matter.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
I have to say I hope Collins retires.

I wish we'd have him at safety, for that would take care of one of the holes on defense. But I'd rather he didn't take the risk. Modern medicine is wonderful stuff, but I'd have to say I wouldn't trust any doctor who said there was no risk of further injury from playing full contact non-European football.

Necks are too important to take chances on.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
all_about_da_packers
12 years ago
An interesting tidbit from Bob McGinn:

In March, he will meet with doctors to decide if he should play again. Collins is 28. The Packers aren't optimistic.

Source (scroll down to Nick Collins paragraph) 

Can't say I'm too surprised; but it would be a huge blow to our team. I'm going to assume that Packers not being optimistic means they may very well target Safety in the draft; I don't think I could stomach another season of Burnett - Peprah as our starters.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
El3ment12
12 years ago
Not having Nick Collins was the reason our secondary was so bad. I firmly believe that. Nick collins was the best safety in the league.
Packers_Finland
12 years ago

Not having Nick Collins was the reason our secondary was so bad. I firmly believe that. Nick collins was the best safety in the league.

Originally Posted by: El3ment380 

Nick Collins is a great player, but no one player impacts their team THAT much (at least on the defensive side of the ball). Peprah was a terrible replacement for Collins, and Shields, Tramon, and Charles all had off years. That's my explanation for our pass coverage problems.
This is a placeholder
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Nick Collins is a great player, but no one player impacts their team THAT much (at least on the defensive side of the ball). Peprah was a terrible replacement for Collins, and Shields, Tramon, and Charles all had off years. That's my explanation for our pass coverage problems.

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland 

I'm with you on this in regards to the tackling, but the communication was so obviously poor after he went down. If you're not in the right spot, and STILL taking chances without the proper cover ... you're going to get burned. Which happened a lot. I couldn't count the times I seen Tramon Williams and Charles Woodson getting after guys for being in the wrong spot/zone.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland 

Collins hurt in the backend.. but to what degree we outside of the film room and breakdown will never really know to what extent.

I think our defense struggled because of these factors.. in order.

1) Inability to pressure the QB consistently.
2) Inability to effectively play zone on the edges and the inside backers not being especially effective in dropping into zone and playing coverage.
3) Not playing as much pressure bump and run at the LOS because we were concerned about the coverage over the top, this is where the Collins injury comes into play.
4) Tackling was weak.
5) Raji was overworked this season.. and didn't have the same burst as last season. IMO, some of that is on the coaching staff for not playing Green more in the middle and resting or at least rotating in bodies along the line.
6) Too much 2 man fronts and sending only 3 in pass rush trying to mask the coverage concerns behind it.

The is more.. but I think that is a solid list.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
12 years ago
On Nick Collins himself.. if there is any increased chance of re-injury.. I think it is time to walk away from the game.

One of my favorite players of the current era.. Brian Dawkins, should have heeded that advice.. and I hope he still does.

As much as Collins means to this defense.. his long term health is even more important.

Use your head more than your heart in this case Nick.. no one will ever question your heart.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

12h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.