evad04
12 years ago
Gentleman & Ladies --

I am one final project removed from completing graduate school. For a design class, I am to build a website from the ground up. Having never worked with html or CSS it has been a challenge, but I feel pretty decent about how it is coming along. Naturally, I have chosen to create a Packers website, chronicling the Packers road to XLVI (the site's name: Titletown 2012: Follow the Green Bay Packers on their road to Super Bowl XLVI). Understand, this is not a rival website to the hallowed Packershome -- it is merely an assignment. In one of the sections I will provide 2011 season highlights; in another, I will attempt to break down some Xs and Os; in the third, I'd like to get the perspective of Packers fans.

That's where some of you could hopefully come in. If anyone would like to help, simply provide some of your thoughts in this thread or send me a PM. What would I like you to write about? It could be anything -- from your feeling about Green Bay's improbable undefeated season so far, on a Lambeau Field memory, on what you love about your favorite team. It could be anything. Preferably if you have something to say, it would be nice to have a couple hundred words (though there is no limit). I need to plug in the content as soon as possible (which should be fairly easy since the code and styling for the section is set up). The deadline is tomorrow, so if anyone has thoughts, post them!

Kevin, sorry I'm posting in this section. I am under a deadline, and this third section idea just came to me. I figured if I posted it here it would get more exposure. Also, thanks for recommending me to the Gerczak's. My girlfriend and I just got our week 17 tickets in the mail. Can't wait!

P.S. If you are comfortable, leave your name attached to the post (doesn't have to be your full last name -- i.e. in my case I could say "Blah blah blah Green Bay is amazing." -Dave N.)
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
WTF! You wanna create a Packers website? What ... this one not free or good enough for you??!?! And it's PackersHome! Capital P and Capital H!

That's great you were able to get tickets from them. I was hoping that would work for you.

I'll read this again in a little bit when I have more time. I might be able to help. I have a little experience developing websites.

Edit, okay you're only looking for a story/write up. I'm sure some folks will help out. I just don't have the time cuz of moving, sorry. Otherwise I'd love to.
UserPostedImage
evad04
12 years ago

WTF! You wanna create a Packers website? What ... this one not free or good enough for you??!?! And it's PackersHome! Capital P and Capital H!

That's great you were able to get tickets from them. I was hoping that would for for you.

I'll read this again in a little bit when I have more time. I might be able to help. I have a little experience developing websites.

Edit, okay you're only looking for a story/write up. I'm sure some folks will help out. I just don't have the time cuz of moving, sorry. Otherwise I'd love to.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

No problem.

And to clarify for anyone who'd like to contribute: you can post anything Packers-related. Pick a topic -- maybe it's about how they have built the team, or how a given player is a beast, or about what they need to do to get back to the Super Bowl. Anything helps.

When the site goes live, I'll shoot you guys a link. I don't have commenting or any sort of dramatic functionality built in. The exercise is really learning the basics of web design.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
Silentio
12 years ago
Okay, I went a little over the top here, but I got caught up in this. It’s probably way too long, but feel free to edit it down or just take pull quotes:

In the 2010 NFL season the Packers went 10-6 in the regular season. They fought through more injuries than I can ever remember a team dealing with to do so. Their star quarterback missed a game and a half during the season due to concussion. The team was faced with the daunting task of winning five games in a row just to make it into the Super Bowl, and had to win one more to take the ultimate prize, the Lombardi Trophy, back home to Title Town: Green Bay, Wisconsin.

This year, the 2011 NFL season, the Packers are perfect. At least, their record is perfect. With three regular season games left to play the Packers are 13-0. Packers' quarterback Aaron Rodgers has been the de facto MVP of the league for weeks. NFL pundits, sports aficionados, and gamblers in Las Vegas predict the Packers will make another NFL Championship appearance and win in back-to-back years. "Dynasty" is the talk about my favorite team, in an NFL era in which dynasties are supposed to be notoriously difficult to come by.

"Should the Packers…" or "will the Packers…" are the clauses often repeated before finishing the question "… make history and go for 16-0?" Often the answer is, "yes." "Greatness" is the word trotted out more often than not: "Will the Packers go for greatness? Will they establish themselves in history as the only team to go undefeated in the modern history of the NFL?" If you want to be remembered, the story goes, you strive for greatness.

It is surely true that if the Packers are to win the remainder of their games and take home another Lombardi Trophy they will be remembered as long as there are people around to remember the NFL. But this season, I find myself remembering the 2010 Packers.

Even if the 2011 Packers win the big dance, even if they do it as no one has before -- at 19-0 -- I think I shall remember the 2010 Packers more fondly. To watch the 2010 Packers was to witness a week to week study in overcoming adversity. By the time the Super Bowl rolled around, the 2010 squad had 16 starters benched due to injury (not to mention those players who succumbed to injury in the Championship game itself). I had few expectations of greatness and experienced each week, each win, each moment as a gift. Just to witness one's team make the playoffs is a special thing. To watch that same team, battered by injury and stocked with rookies at key positions on offense as well as defense, march their way to the Super Bowl was inspiring.

As a fan, there is an ineffable quality to watching the 2011 Packers. It is difficult to put into words how utterly dominant the offense has been this year. Rodgers' has elevated his play to the point that he is spoken of in the same breath of all of the game's great quarterbacks. Perfection, is one word that comes to mind. Indeed, former MVP and Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady, quarterback of the New England Patriots said as much, "There is nothing perfect in football, unless you are the Packers." But, it is difficult to identify with perfection.

The 2010 Packers, on the other hand, were simply relentless, tenacious, hard nosed, driven. They played with a goal, as a team, for each other and their coach, for the city of Green Bay and Packer fans everywhere. By they end of the season they were beaten and bloody but they were not exhausted. They were, for all their flaws, that much more beautiful than a 2011 Packers squad that has been deemed, by some, as perfect. The rough, dinged, broken exterior of the 2010 team gave itself over to the fans. We found nooks and crannies in which we could place our values, our hopes and dreams, our fears. They reflected us back to ourselves and we loved them for it.

The 2011 Packers are majestic. The coverage of the team, her coach, and her players is breathless, bordering on hysterical. They are called dominant, even perfect. But the 2010 NFL Champion Green Bay Packers were more than that, they were human. And that is why, when journalists down the ages remember the perfect 2011 Green Bay Packers, I shall fondly recall 2010, when a battered and underestimated team went the distance to become champions.
blank
evad04
12 years ago
Nonstop, porky, zombie, wpr, nerd, go pack go, packfanwithtwins, cheesey, porforis, beast ... and all the rest -- lets hear your thoughts!

Whaddya think about the Packers this season? Keep it short, or write a short novel like Silentio. Either way, I'd greatly appreciate your input!
go.pack.go.
12 years ago
I will try to write something up when I'm not on my iPod. It is very annoying trying to type on this thing.
UserPostedImage
coltonja
12 years ago
Here ya go evad-

The 2010 season could best be described as a rollercoaster ride. Throughout the year the Green Bay Packers went through triumph and defeat week after week. By the end of the year the Packers had overcome adversity that could be respected by any fan of any NFL team.

Early in the season the Packers lost two important players to their offense- running back Ryan Grant and tight end Jermichael Finley. Later in the year the injury total exceeded any other team in the NFL leaving the Packers to rely on unheard of players that became Packer heroes- John Kuhn, Sam Shields, James Starks, and Desmond Bishop to name a few. With this rag tag group of players I thought there was no way we would see the Lombardi trophy back in Green Bay. However, head coach Mike McCarthy's expectations, unlike mine, did not waver.

By the time the NFL playoffs rolled around Aaron Rodgers and Co. were playing at a level rivaled only by elite offenses around the league. The Packers won their first two playoff games and then went on to beat the Chicago Bears in an epic rival game for the NFC Championship. FInally, the Packers were back in the Super Bowl and needed one more win to cement their place in history.

The Packers overcame injuries again in the Super Bowl losing two leaders, Donald Driver and Charles Woodson. However, players stepped in to fill their role and both the offense and defense stepped up their game with Aaron Rodgers leading the way. The Lombardi trophy headed home to Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
RaiderPride
12 years ago
"The deadline is tomorrow, so if anyone has thoughts, post them!"

TOMORROW?

LOL Ok.

The 2010 Packers won the Superbowl becuase they did not leave any game plan design until the night before the game.

Suggested Reading: "Eat That Frog" by Brian Tracy.

:) 🙂 :)

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
all_about_da_packers
12 years ago
Evaluating the draft needs of the 2011 Packers.

This team is on a torrid pace offensively. In fact, anyone who has seen it play no doubt feels easier sleeping at night knowing that we have the offense capable of bailing our defense out in a shootout. From the performance of our offense and defense so far, we can surely agree that the Packers could stand to get better on defense. It stand to reason, then, that focusing on defense in the upcoming draft would be welcomed by most Packer fans.

But what positions to target? Let's start by eliminating one position we definitely do not have a need at: NT. Ryan Pickett / Howard Green / BJ Raji (if needed) provide a solid foundation - they are strong and big enough to take on double teams and still be productive. They fill the role of a 3-4 NT beautifully.

But, does any other position really come close to not being a "need"? DE / OLB / ILB / CB / S can all be argued to have holes that need to be addressed. Yet, I'll probably surprise some people by suggesting that OLB is not a need for this team. Clay is everything you could ask for in a 3-4 OLB. Strong, instinctive, relentless, tremendous rusher and he has improved in coverage. His opposite though may be argued to be lacking: Walden's production has come from mostly his relentlessness. But I will argue that Walden's skill set fits reasonably well with the job an OLB must do opposite someone as dynamic a player as Clay.

In the 3-4, sending both OLBs in addition to the 3 D-linemen means 5 rushers are being sent; blitzing on most downs is not ideal. In addition to an elite pass-rushing OLB, you preferably want an OLB that can set the edge to help the run defense, be athletic enough to drop into coverage, and when asked to rush, make good use of his opportunities. Even during Clay's first season, Aaron Kampman was the primary rusher and Clay was asked to be versatile. Once Kampman went down, Clay became the primary rusher and Brad Jones was asked to come in play the versatile role (he did is surprisingly decently). You need an OLB opposite Clay who is not a one-trick pony, but a well-rounded player. Walden does those things needed from a player opposite Clay respectably: he sets a pretty good edge against the run, he is athletic enough to drop into passing lanes in zone coverage, and (if I am not mistaken) he has comparable QB pressures to Claymaker. Not bad, even if Walden has not been flashy. Sure, if you have the chance to improve by drafting a player, then you do so; however, we do not "need" another OLB.

Moving on to Safety, this position really depends on what happens with Nick Collins. If he returns, Peprah is a decent back-up and MD Jennings could develop with Bush as the emergency S. You can get by. But if Collins cannot / chooses not to return, we have a major need. Peprah is just not physically gifted enough to be a starter. He is too slow to be impactful in coverage. As a box-safety, you can get by with Peprah. But considering the game is shifting towards a passing league, our CBs our raw, and teams are likely to need to catch-up if our offensive performance realizes most of its potential on a consistent basis... Peprah is not sufficient enough to be an answer going forward. So, in short, the answer really depends on what happens with Nick Collins.

Moving on to CB, Woodson is getting older but can still make plays. Tramon has the tools and drive to be elite, but after these two, we are lacking. Shields is raw. He can develop into a solid #2 CB behind Tramon, but he is just so raw that it is going to take time (assuming Shields is capable of developing properly and using his skills properly). Bush is high-effort, but anything more than dime and you are risking big things. To be honest, even in the dime, Bush can be a liability. Pat Lee has become a good ST player, but beyond that his position on the depth chart does not speak glowingly about him. House is another player with talent, but is also raw; he cannot be guaranteed to develop, and if he does it is likely to take longer than 1 year. Basically, if something happens to Woodson or Tramon... we are in trouble. A CB that is ready to step-in and play would be ideal in terms of depth, and eventually taking over for Charles in the future. Also, given our poor secondary play, it's hard not to think an infusion of talent that is ready for the pro game would be a good thing. Mark this as a big need.

Finally, DE. Raji is pro-bowl caliber. Outside of him, we are sorely lacking. Jarius Wynn showed promise early this season, but has since come back down to earth. CJ Wilson is, at best, a back-up player who will develop a niche as a run-stuffer; he offers very little in terms of pass-rushing. And finally, Mike Neal. It's hard not to see the talent he has; the few snaps he got in his rookie season, he showed some very good things. Flash forward to this season, and since his return from injury he has been, at best, underwhelming. It is, of course, unreasonable to expect him to dominate given his injuries and lack of opportunity to get reps. The only thing that we can safely conclude about Neal thus far is that he is still an unknown. As a result, it is the most glaring weakness on this roster: a DE opposite Raji to generate a pass-rush while not being a liability against the run. We desperately need someone to contribute something more to our pass-rush, which should further improve our pass-D. Currently, besides Raji, this team lacks a DE that can make a lasting impact in a game. So, in light of this, I would rate DE as the biggest need on this team - one that we should expect Ted to address.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Nonstop, porky, zombie, wpr, nerd, go pack go, packfanwithtwins, cheesey, porforis, beast ... and all the rest -- lets hear your thoughts!

Whaddya think about the Packers this season? Keep it short, or write a short novel like Silentio. Either way, I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Originally Posted by: evad04 

I could write up on Woodson moving from a sure Hall of Famer to a first round ballot Hall of Famer if this season ends with a SB win and he continues to lead the NFL in INTs this year. And of course hopefully by the end of the regular season, he ties the NFL record for pick 6s.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (10h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (11h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (11h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (14h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (14h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.