Pack93z
9 years ago

As for your "back on topic", would you care to state WHERE in the Constitution it says anything remotely like that - a "right" for any kind of marriage?

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

You want to ignore it, but it is simply not about if the law is on the books about gay marriage. It is simply about the fact that the 14th Amendment of the United States affords every citizen the right to be treated equally to its laws.

In addition, it forbids states from denying any person "life, liberty or property, without due process of law" or to "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.” By directly mentioning the role of the states, the 14th Amendment greatly expanded the protection of civil rights to all Americans and is cited in more litigation than any other amendment.

loc  wrote:

There are many marriage laws on record.. so simply applying the 14th Amendment to the laws on record, how can one argue that to consenting adults not be allowed to marry and be afforded the protections/benefits/responsibilities of marriage?

You are going to argue polygamy again.. if the laws were expanded to allow that, then it would be open to all as well equally.

It is simply how I look upon it. Let whatever your God is judge you at your time.

I am Christian.. raised Catholic.. but I have a very difficult time "judging" others for their choices that do not harm another. I reject the notion it is my responsibility as a Christian to try and convert or influence another that doesn't believe as I do. I do not see them as anything other than another human being trying to live their life. I hold my beliefs, I challenge my beliefs often, but I cannot slight another for not holding similar beliefs.

And I firmly believe that is how the government of this free land should govern, we have a constitution and amendments that are set forth as guidelines to set forth laws that should be applied equally to each law abiding member of society. In this case, if two people are legally allowed to form a union, then it should not matter the race, religion nor gender of the people.

Nothing less.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
texaspackerbacker
9 years ago

You want to ignore it, but it is simply not about if the law is on the books about gay marriage. It is simply about the fact that the 14th Amendment of the United States affords every citizen the right to be treated equally to its laws.

There are many marriage laws on record.. so simply applying the 14th Amendment to the laws on record, how can one argue that to consenting adults not be allowed to marry and be afforded the protections/benefits/responsibilities of marriage?

You are going to argue polygamy again.. if the laws were expanded to allow that, then it would be open to all as well equally.

It is simply how I look upon it. Let whatever your God is judge you at your time.

I am Christian.. raised Catholic.. but I have a very difficult time "judging" others for their choices that do not harm another. I reject the notion it is my responsibility as a Christian to try and convert or influence another that doesn't believe as I do. I do not see them as anything other than another human being trying to live their life. I hold my believes, I challenge my beliefs often, but I cannot slight another for not holding similar beliefs.

And I firmly believe that is how the government of this free land should govern, we have a constitution and amendments that are set forth as guidelines to set forth laws that should be applied equally to each law abiding member of society. In this case, if two people are legally allowed to form a union, then it should not matter the race, religion nor gender of the people.

Nothing less.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

First of all, as I said before, this is kinda a lame topic - I fail to see why so many are titillated by it to the extent that it goes on and on while significant topics with some real meat in them get less interest.

The main thing that YOU conveniently ignore with your idea of applying equal protection under the 14th Amendment to laws currently on the books - I assume you mean those states enacting legalized gay marriage - is that there have been as many or more laws enacted/referendums passed by the people/whatever - the in the most liberal state of all, California, where the PEOPLE have made their ANTI-gay marriage wishes clear, only to have them overruled by the God damned courts. Apparently, equal protection is a one way street for you - favoring those people who want to tear down American and Judeo-Christian morals, beliefs, and traditions. Those people with beliefs in tune with what has been considered normalcy in just about every place and time period in history don't count with you? They/we don't get equal protection?

As for your being Christian/Catholic, well, that's nice BUT ...... there's a word - I can't quite remember what it is, for somebody who professes to have a belief, but then says something like "I reject the notion it is my responsibility as a Christian to try and convert or influence another that doesn't believe as I do. I do not see them as anything other than another human being trying to live their life. I hold my believes, I challenge my beliefs often, but I cannot slight another for not holding similar beliefs." My word for that would be PATHETIC. A person who believes in everything actually believes in nothing at all. I'm sure somebody said that before me, but I don't know who.
Expressing the Good Normal Views of Good Normal Americans.
If Anything I Say Smacks of Extremism, Please Tell Me EXACTLY What.
dfosterf
9 years ago
I disagree. Frankly, this whole world would be a lot better place if everyone held their belief systems to themselves as Pack93Z does.

The whole religion thing and belief system thing is extraordinarily expensive for mankind once you deviate from the values espoused by Pack93z. Witness the passion and bastardization of Islam.

Look at what the Catholic church has done for centuries. (Forgive me, Grandma, if you are allowed visits in hell, I'll be there with my buds)

I'll take that "lack of passion" in this arena, any day. "To each his own, within the standards of true morality" should be the watchwords.

As to the subject matter, I'd apply the same principles. To each his own. I've kidded about gays, went over most people's heads due to some pre-conceived notions about me, personally, but don't get confused. I believe in gay rights, including marriage. I don't see it as a choice. Approximately 10% of us were born that way. There are a lot of us, so 10% of a lot is a lot. Give 'em a break, I say.
dfosterf
9 years ago

I think we should check a box on our IRS 1040's to delegate where our tax dollars go. That way all you fascist war mongering retards can vote to keep killing poor people around the world and redistributing more wealth to the 1%, and those of us that care about infrastructure and social programs for the inpoverished in this country can send our tax dollars to those causes. Sound fair Dickheads?

Back on topic, keeping gays from getting married is infringing on their Constitutional rights for equality.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

This war mongering fascist retard would like to send about 75 cents of every dollar we spend supporting the lazy do-nothing entitlement gobbling government tit-sucking opportunist non working motherfuckers in this country to those that really have no opportunity overseas that the people that you send to war see all the time. Of course, this would impinge upon the oh so-deserving Native Americans that lost a hundred and twenty years ago and are still sucking on the gov't tit for doing so , for example, so we can't have that.

You'd get 3 hots and a cot every day until you picked yourself up if I was running the show.
Pack93z
9 years ago

My word for that would be PATHETIC. A person who believes in everything actually believes in nothing at all. I'm sure somebody said that before me, but I don't know who.

Originally Posted by: texaspackerbacker 

Being labeled pathetic by you.. I value that as a compliment. Seriously.. thank you.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
9 years ago

Being labeled pathetic by you.. I value that as a compliment. Seriously.. thank you.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

I assign that to poor word choice on his part, possibly too passionate on the issue at hand. You, on the other hand, would normally leave it alone. Now I get to listen to Dakota pile on, thanks to you cracking under the pressure of ill-advised commentary (imo) by Texas.

Judas H. Priest. No wonder we never resolve anything in this back alley, lol

dingus
9 years ago
"Those people with beliefs in tune with what has been considered normalcy in just about every place and time period in history don't count with you? They/we don't get equal protection?"

This right here is some funny shit texas! You really don't know as much about history as you think.

You are aware that less than 200 years ago, in this great country of ours, all of those wonderful, moral, loving subscribers to the judeo-christian beliefs that you hold so dear found it acceptable to own other human beings.

Take that weak shit out of here. Pathetic is a word, but it doesn't even remotely describe what 93z expressed. You, on the other hand...
blank
dfosterf
9 years ago

"Those people with beliefs in tune with what has been considered normalcy in just about every place and time period in history don't count with you? They/we don't get equal protection?"

This right here is some funny shit texas! You really don't know as much about history as you think.

You are aware that less than 200 years ago, in this great country of ours, all of those wonderful, moral, loving subscribers to the judeo-christian beliefs that you hold so dear found it acceptable to own other human beings.

Take that weak shit out of here. Pathetic is a word, but it doesn't even remotely describe what 93z expressed. You, on the other hand...

Originally Posted by: dingus 

So did everyone else find it acceptable to own other human beings. It's a bad argument to get on a high horse about, imo. if you know world history. Let them sort it out. Pack93z and Texas are not stupid men, I promise you that much. You are leaping in some assumptions, imo.
dingus
9 years ago
I think you need to go back and read my response again foster, I said nothing about 93z and was commenting on texas' statement that there was/is ANY normalcy in world history. Stoning, burning at the stake, torture, sacrificing children etc. etc. All in the name of god/ a god. I chose US slavery as an example of the "normalcy" of good, moral, ethical folk who made up the flock. Don't need to be told that everyone did it throughout history and that's a weak arguement anyway.

Fact is, the very title of this thread is what's wrong with gay marriage and the only folks who seem to have a problem with it are the religious who can't mind their own business. What do they care if gay people get married? They'll be in heaven and the heathen fags will be in hell!

93z wrote a concise, heartfelt expression of his faith and how it pertained to gay marriage and his world view.I applauded him.

You wrote an honest and thoughtful post in which you stated your beliefs about gays and gay rights. I applauded you

Texas spewed BS about equal protection not applying to his brand of poor, persecuted christians and backed it up with some nonsense about normalcy.

No assumptions were made. He's about as deep as the westboro baptist church set.
blank
dfosterf
9 years ago

I think you need to go back and read my response again foster, I said nothing about 93z and was commenting on texas' statement that there was/is ANY normalcy in world history. Stoning, burning at the stake, torture, sacrificing children etc. etc. All in the name of god/ a god. I chose US slavery as an example of the "normalcy" of good, moral, ethical folk who made up the flock. Don't need to be told that everyone did it throughout history and that's a weak arguement anyway.

Fact is, the very title of this thread is what's wrong with gay marriage and the only folks who seem to have a problem with it are the religious who can't mind their own business. What do they care if gay people get married? They'll be in heaven and the heathen fags will be in hell!

93z wrote a concise, heartfelt expression of his faith and how it pertained to gay marriage and his world view.I applauded him.

You wrote an honest and thoughtful post in which you stated your beliefs about gays and gay rights. I applauded you

Texas spewed BS about equal protection not applying to his brand of poor, persecuted christians and backed it up with some nonsense about normalcy.

No assumptions were made. He's about as deep as the westboro baptist church set.

Originally Posted by: dingus 

That's the thing, dingus. I don't believe that about Texas. He's far more reserved than I am (usually) in his responses than I am. You guys are used to my silliness. Texas is usually engaged with Dakota, which usually provides for over-the-top rhetoric. Somewhere along the line Shawn had had enough and piped in, and then those two were at one another's throats as well.

I read everything in here. Everything Texas said, everything Pack93z said, everything Zero2 cool said, everything everyone says here, including you. You are right, Pack93z did write exactly what you said. I'm just saying, reserve judgment until the totality sinks in. Uffda is (apparently) presently SATAN in here, but I'm reserving judgment, as he seems to be making perfect sense, for example.