Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Jenkins had an awesome play against the Falcons when he supermaned over the line right into Ryan. It was fun to watch.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
12 years ago

That doesnt mean we are getting a consistent pass rush.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Nope. It doesn't. It means we have 7 sacks after two games, like it said. 3.5 per game so far. Last year we averaged 2.9 sacks per game. Capers didn't exactly bring the house all day vs. CAR, so I'm not freaking out about a lack of consistent pressure. Lots of 3 and 4 man rushes, and they seemed to play some contain to keep Newton from running wild.

Also nice is that we have only given up 3 sacks so far, or 1.5 per game, compared to 2.4 per game last year. So we are getting 2.0 more sacks per game than our opponents so far, compared to 0.5 more sacks per game last year. Kinda nice to see.

Speaking of differentials, our turnover differential is +4 right now, tied for 3rd in the league. Last year the Packers finished the regular season at +10, 2009 at +24, and 2008 at +7. We lead league in turnover differential over the slightly over three year Aaron Rodgers era. +4 through 2 games could be the start of something really good.
go.pack.go.
12 years ago
Every time I see Cullen Jenkins make a play for the Eagles, I'm upset because I know the Packer should have re-signed him.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

I'm not going to freak out quite yet, so far GB has faced a legitimate elite QB, who has a very quick release in week one, and one of the most mobile QBs in the league in week two. If the Dline struggles against the hapless bear's Oline, and crybaby Cutler, I will be concerned.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Good point. I will add that Wynn has played pretty decently in Jenkins' old spot. I think the absence of Jenkins is only a small part of the poor pass defense so far.
blank
rabidgopher04
12 years ago
Our defense is bend, but don't break. It was like this last year too. Hold on to your hats, because it's going to be quite the ride!
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
millertime
12 years ago

Nope. It doesn't. It means we have 7 sacks after two games, like it said. 3.5 per game so far. Last year we averaged 2.9 sacks per game. Capers didn't exactly bring the house all day vs. CAR, so I'm not freaking out about a lack of consistent pressure. Lots of 3 and 4 man rushes, and they seemed to play some contain to keep Newton from running wild.

Also nice is that we have only given up 3 sacks so far, or 1.5 per game, compared to 2.4 per game last year. So we are getting 2.0 more sacks per game than our opponents so far, compared to 0.5 more sacks per game last year. Kinda nice to see.

Speaking of differentials, our turnover differential is +4 right now, tied for 3rd in the league. Last year the Packers finished the regular season at Slapnuts0, 2009 at +24, and 2008 at +7. We lead league in turnover differential over the slightly over three year Aaron Rodgers era. +4 through 2 games could be the start of something really good.

Originally Posted by: get_louder_at_lambeau 

Agreed. Sacks are like passing yards, the situation is more important than the numbers. Sacks matter most when they change the score of the game (ie. force a punt, knock out of FG range, etc). One of our sacks was because Cam ran out of bounds 1 yard behind the line of scrimmage. I'm basing this more off of my perception of our defense through two games, than off pure stats. It just seems like QBs have been able to sit back torch our secondary, which I'm thinking has more to do with our d-line than our DBs. I'm not sure how we fix this with Collins out for the year. I'm thinking we should use Bush in the slot with Burnett and Woodson back at safety for a couple plays a game.
Greg C.
12 years ago
Why did this thread get moved? It's entirely about the Packers.
blank
beast
12 years ago

Why did this thread get moved? It's entirely about the Packers.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Because it's about Jenkins and Jenkins isn't a Packers... therefor someone thought it shouldn't be in the Packers thread (but I agree it's basically about the Packers and the Packers area would of been fine) Maybe a different subject line like... "What's missing in the Packers pressures" and listing players like Zombo, Neal, Jenkins, Green, would of kept it in the Packers zone. (it's kind the catch or no catch in the zone thing)
UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

Good point. I will add that Wynn has played pretty decently in Jenkins' old spot. I think the absence of Jenkins is only a small part of the poor pass defense so far.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Yeah Wynn has stepped it up very nicely. But he's not getting the type of attention Jenkins got and beat, which would also help free up Matthews. And it's also Neal, Zombo, So'oto, Collins and Williams being hurt as well as Green not seemingly showing up like he did last year which he added some pass rush on the inside.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
I like this comment I found on the JSOnline Packers blog:

Wynn makes close to the league minimum, Jenkins over $4 million a yr. 3 sacks vs. 4 sacks, at this pt. The production is about the same. One is a member of a dline that is 30th in the league allowing 131 yds per game against the run. The other is on a dline that is leading the league in rush defense at 55 yds a game. And... Wynn has potential to get better.
Ted Thompson makes the tough decisions. The team can't keep everybody.

The beauty (aside from your point) of letting some of these guys go? You get comp picks in return. If Jenkins and Colledge stay healthy, you're talking possibly a 3rd and a 4th rounder, just for them? Korey Hall, etc. also left via FA. Could end up with 3 comp picks (max is 3, I think) and a couple 7th rd picks for Schlauderhaff and Quinn Johnson.

Speaking of Quinn Johnson...seems like the Titan running game is not hitting on all cylinders. Maybe letting him go wasn't such a hard decision after all.

NC Cheese Machine wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.