Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Regarding A.J. Hawk's defensive pass interference.

Check out the rule here .

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:
[list]

• (a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

• (b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

(f) Hooking a receiver in an attempt to get to the ball in such a manner that it causes the receiver’s body to turn prior to the ball arriving.

[/list]

(a) Hawk was playing the ball and did not restrict Sproles from catching the ball.
    (b) Hawk went over the shoulder of Sproles
    (c) Hawk did not grab any arm.
    (d) Hawk did have his arms in front of the receiver restricting the receivers ability to catch the ball, because he knocked the ball away!
    (e) Hawk did not cut off the receivers path.
    (f) Hawk did not hook the receiver.

Defensive players have as much right to the path of the ball as eligible offensive players.

From the angles I seen, it was a blown call, kind of like not ejecting Charles Woodson for the upper cut.
    UserPostedImage
    Greg C.
    12 years ago
    It was a rough outing, for sure, against one of the best offenses in the league, but they made some big stops to redeem themselves. They forced a couple of field goals, and the stop at the end was awesome. The D-line came up big when it needed to--Raji, Pickett, and even Wynn. The LBs did not seem to have a great day, especially the interior LBs. As others have noted, Hawk made a fantastic game-winning play, only to have the refs take it away from him. Shields looked bad on several plays, which worries me a little because he looked bad in the preseason too. I hope he's not becoming complacent.

As for blitzing, I thought they blitzed a lot, but seldom got home with the blitzes. Playing coverage didn't seem to work very well either. New Orleans has an amazing offense--almost as good as ours!

A couple of plays that stand out:

1. The defense being totally ready for the Saints to pass on 4th and 1 at the six-yard line in the third quarter.

2. Jarrett Bush coming in for Tramon Williams near the end and being tested on the first play, and deflecting the pass in the end zone.
    blank
    12 years ago
    I've watched and re-watched and seeing it now it appears he hits the back of Sproles head before he knocks the ball. But is that really what was called and if so is that really enough to make that call? It was still a fucking heads up play, imo.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Zero2Cool
    12 years ago
    UserPostedImage
    UserPostedImage
    Nonstopdrivel
    12 years ago
    Dan Patrick said this morning that from his vantage point on the 17-yard line, he thought it was a good call, but having seen subsequent replays, he believes it was a blown call.

I don't know how people can say this defense performed well when there was a gaping hole in the middle of the field, usually with no defenders within 10 yards of the wide-open receiver(s), on almost every play. Henderson averaged almost 17 yards a catch. The defense may have stopped the deep bombs, but they were getting chewed up the entire game.

It never should have come down to the goal-line stand, in my opinion. One questionable call (the touchback) and one dreadful call (the pass interference) helped set that play up. Of course, it would have helped if the defense had stopped a single long pass on that route.
    UserPostedImage
    Zero2Cool
    12 years ago
    The defense gave up 27 points to one of the three best offensive teams in the league on opening day after not playing a full game for nearly six months. Hardly a time to get too critical or excited over their performance.
    UserPostedImage
    Silentio
    12 years ago
    The Saints moved the ball pretty easily against the Packers at times, but I think the defense really showed itself in the redzone. How many times did the Saints make inside the Packers' 20? I could be off but I count 7. The defense turned away the Saints 4 out of 7 times. 3/5 is a terrible red zone percentage (.42). The guys on defense stopped them when it really counted, in what McCarthy calls 'adversity plays/moments.' 3/7 redzone against what is one of the most high powered offenses in the league ain't too shabby.

At least this guy  seems to think it was 3/7.
    blank
    12 years ago
    I don't understand how that pic is a response to my post.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Pack93z
    12 years ago

The defense gave up 27 points to one of the three best offensive teams in the league on opening day after not playing a full game for nearly six months. Hardly a time to get too critical or excited over their performance.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Come now.. they suck.. don't look at the opposing offense and their play calling and play designs.. it just that as a defense we suck.

Don't pay attention to match ups the Saints forced.. don't pay attention to the islands Peyton placed the safeties on, forcing them to commit one way or the other and Brees executed the pumps, his eyes and his feet.

Nope the defense just sucked.

Jones only got one pass thrown his way.. he sucks.

Shields got isolated with the deep help getting sucked in and he gave up a score.. he sucks.. never mind the couple plays in which he was in the receivers hip pocket.. one in the endzone.

Collins comes up to make a stick and Williams happens to have his arm engaged.. but somehow that is Collins fault for making a stick.. he must suck.

It is notions like such that drive me bananna's.. not taking into account the elements of the game, but boiling it down to a simple label.. "they sucked."

](*,)
    "The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
    zombieslayer
    12 years ago

Still don't like folks saying an active player is a Hall of Fame player. It's inaccurate and uncreative to say, and bah... oh well, society is ignorant.

I don't think the Packers defense sucked. I think it was the first game of the season against one of the best offenses in the league. If this happened in week 4 or later, then I'd put more thought into does the defense suck.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It depends.

Randy Moss and Charles Woodson are Hall of Fame players. So is Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Now someone who is young like Brees or Rodgers, it's no guarantee yet. I do think Rodgers could retire the greatest QB of all-time. However, his resume if he decided that he wants to be a professional bowler instead of this football nonsense tomorrow, is too small. Same with Brees.

Now back to topic.

Did our D suck? Yes, it did. Denial that our D sucks is, well, denial. Two things though:

1) Brees was hot. You can't cover perfect passes.

2) Ds for the first 3 or 4 weeks this year will be ugly because of the contract disputes. It's easier to run an O than a D.

We might see a lot of high scoring games in the NFL for the first month. If you're not scoring 110 points in fantasy, you're gonna lose. That's just how it will be for the first month. It will be ugly, and it won't be just us. It will be everyone.

It will be time to [aiee] if we're still looking like this by the Falcons game.
    My man Donald Driver
    UserPostedImage
    (thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
    2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
    Fan Shout
    beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
    Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
    CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
    Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
    buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
    Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
    Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
    Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
    beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
    Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
    Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
    Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
    beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
    beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
    Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
    beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
    beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
    Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
    Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2024 Packers Schedule
    Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
    Eagles
    Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
    COLTS
    Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
    Titans
    Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
    Rams
    Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
    CARDINALS
    Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
    TEXANS
    Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
    Jaguars
    Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
    LIONS
    Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
    49ERS
    Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
    DOLPHINS
    Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
    Seahawks
    Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
    SAINTS
    Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
    Vikings
    Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
    BEARS
    Recent Topics
    12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.