Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
My personal hell must be close.. because it is a first.. I happen to agree with a thought projected by Belichick.. I am doomed. [duh]

Bill Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points 
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 23, 2011, 11:45 AM EDT
Bill Belichick AP

Patriots coach Bill Belichick recently caused a stir when he said the NFL wants to eliminate kickoffs. Now Belichick has weighed in on a play that he says would be better suited to elimination: The extra point.

In an interview on WEEI, Belichick pointed out that the point after touchdown is so easy that it rarely creates any interest at all, and he said that if the league isn’t going to make it harder, then the league should just get rid of it.

“Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn’t be in the game,” Belichick said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t think it is good for the game. Extra points, when you’re up to the 99 percent range in extra points it’s not a play. Let’s move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Make them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you’re just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20.”

Belichick’s way of thinking makes a lot of sense: The extra point is basically nothing more than a way to give fans a longer bathroom break after a touchdown. And on the rare occasions that an extra point is missed, it’s more about bad luck than skill. Belichick’s solution of moving the line of scrimmage on extra point attempts back to the 20-yard line makes some sense; that would equate to a 38-yard field goal, which isn’t a chip shot.

But we shouldn’t forget about the two-point conversion, which is one of the most exciting plays in football. Under the current rules, the line of scrimmage for point after attempts is the 2-yard line, whether teams are kicking for one point or attempting a two-point conversion. Moving the line of scrimmage to the 20 would only make sense if it’s a rule exclusively for one-point kicks, and two-point conversion attempts still start from the two-yard line.

Another option would be moving the line of scrimmage for all extra points to the 1-yard line. Extra point kicks would still be chip shots, but two-point conversion attempts would be easier, which would encourage coaches to go for two more often, which would make the game more exciting.

The extra point kick could also just be completely eliminated and teams could be given the option of either taking seven points for a touchdown, or taking six points with the chance to go for two and turn it into eight.

In the XFL, there were no extra point kicks. Teams got six points for a touchdown and then ran another play from the two-yard line, and if they scored they got one extra point. That rule might sound like some wacky idea from the mind of Vince McMahon, but it was actually taken from the NFL, which briefly experimented with that rule during its 1968 exhibition games against AFL teams in the preseason. (The World Football League had a similar rule, called the Action Point, in the 1970s.) In the playoffs the XFL changed its extra point rule to allow teams to go for two or three points by moving the line of scrimmage back farther from the goal line.

I’m surprised Belichick, who once sent Doug Flutie into a game to dropkick an extra point, didn’t suggest getting rid of the holder and forcing every team to dropkick extra points. That would make it less of a gimme.

I’ve also heard it suggested that the real way to make extra points interesting is to require the player who scored the touchdown to kick the extra point. It would be amusing to see running backs and wide receivers (and occasionally 350-pound linemen who recovered fumbles in the end zone) trying extra points, and it would encourage coaches to go for two a lot more often.

Don’t expect a radical change to extra point rules any time soon: Any rule change on extra points would require 24 NFL owners to support it, and NFL owners aren’t the most radical of people. But Belichick is right: Extra point kicks are boring plays. The NFL should change the point-after rules to take some boredom out of the game.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
nah leave it as is.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
12 years ago

nah leave it as is.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Agreed... but if your are going to effectively take away the kickoffs from the game.. then why leave this remedial play in tact? Does it not pose injury as well?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Agreed... but if your are going to effectively take away the kickoffs from the game.. then why leave this remedial play in tact? Does it not pose injury as well?

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Why not just kick the ball very high, give your team a chance to run down there to pin them deep? Kickers don't have to belt it through the back of the end zone. Instead of whining about the kickoff, these coaches should find ways to make it advantageous to them.

This could actually make kickoffs MORE exciting, and potentially more dangerous.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

they have moved the KO line around so much I don't mind them moving it back,some.

The PAT does factor into some games. I have no idea of the statistics but it "seems" that in the few games in which a team misses a PAT, those are the games that the loss of 1 point plays a significant factor. (in other words the games that are decided by 20 points don't have too many failed PATs.)

Moving the PAT line back to the 20 would not reduce the risk of injury. It would only increase it. I don't want to see them automatically tack 7 on the board. They should earn it. There was been a small amount of talk in MLB to put the batter on instead of throwing the 4 pitches for an intentional walk. I don't like that idea either. On the PGA they still have to tap in from 2 inches. Same for football. Earn it even if it is a gimmie.

UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago

Kickoffs shouldn't be taken out either. Your argument is basically "If we're changing stuff for next to no reason, why not change this OTHER stuff too?" Don't make NSD start talking about injuries on kickoffs/etc again. I get the argument, I really do. But what about the whole idea that XPs can be blocked? Fake XPs? Sure, they're rare, but they still inject some degree of skill and excitement into getting that one last point to tie the game late in the fourth quarter. This would just be another example of the league taking apart the excitement and yes, the tradition of football away little by little. I'm not against change if there's a good reason, but I don't see a good reason to take away XPs.
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
12 years ago

Kickoffs shouldn't be taken out either. Your argument is basically "If we're changing stuff for next to no reason, why not change this OTHER stuff too?" Don't make NSD start talking about injuries on kickoffs/etc again. I get the argument, I really do. But what about the whole idea that XPs can be blocked? Fake XPs? Sure, they're rare, but they still inject some degree of skill and excitement into getting that one last point to tie the game late in the fourth quarter. This would just be another example of the league taking apart the excitement and yes, the tradition of football away little by little. I'm not against change if there's a good reason, but I don't see a good reason to take away XPs.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Agreed.. and that is the backhanded approach to the comments.. basically quiet screwing with the game. [grin1]

PS.. give some rights back to the defense as well.
Formo
12 years ago
I'm not completely against moving the PAT back a bit. I like the idea of not making it such a gimmie (face it, this is the NFL. If a kicker, EVER misses a PAT due to his fault, he's out a job). It kind of reminds me when the NBA moved the 3 point line back. College kept it where it was. This would be the same, if you ask me.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

I’ve also heard it suggested that the real way to make extra points interesting is to require the player who scored the touchdown to kick the extra point.

That was the rule in the rugby league with which I played when I was in Germany. It was basically anything goes: the person who scored the try could kick the goal literally from wherever they felt comfortable doing so. It made for some interesting tactics with the less skilled players -- like kicking from the end zone backwards through the goal post. I haven't seen it played that way in professional rugby, though.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago

I'm not completely against moving the PAT back a bit. I like the idea of not making it such a gimmie (face it, this is the NFL. If a kicker, EVER misses a PAT due to his fault, he's out a job). It kind of reminds me when the NBA moved the 3 point line back. College kept it where it was. This would be the same, if you ask me.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

I think that moving the PAT back a bit would be fine, however as someone that's conservative I tend to look at things through a scope of "is this going to make enough of a difference to be worth changing?". I don't think it'd make enough of a different to justify changing something that's been in place for forever with no major modifications. Tradition's worth SOMETHING... If you're going to change PATs, you'd might as well make a bigger change.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12m) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (14m) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (3h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.