pack_in_black
12 years ago
I guess it comes down to how they fared against their peers at that time. DD has been more productive than any GB receiver during his career. THAT is what makes him great. Hutson was just plain dominant compared to the rest of the league, but trying to compare the two will just spin you in circles.

UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
pack_in_black
12 years ago

Agreed. This point is not brought up often enough. If the old players were around today, they would be in the weight room. Downgrading old athletes for a lack of speed and strength compared to the athletes of today is not much different from downgrading them due to inferior equipment.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Ever watch "Deadliest Warrior"? I feel like you could get more than a few seasons out of a similar show that broke down football players skills, put everything in a lab, add some tackling dummies that explode unneccesarily with fake blood when tackled, run the simulation like a billion times and then tell us who the better QB, RB, etc is.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to Pack93z for the sig!
Pack93z
12 years ago

Agreed. This point is not brought up often enough. If the old players were around today, they would be in the weight room. Downgrading old athletes for a lack of speed and strength compared to the athletes of today is not much different from downgrading them due to inferior equipment.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Is it really inferior equipment or has the standards of life changed that much in a century the has allowed us to become taller, stronger and faster than previous generations?

Why are we getting taller as a species? 

Anyway.. just throwing out some food for thought.. it is another interesting topic as Pack In Black noted..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
For all the above reasons is why I believe you have to compare players within they're era in order to see their greatness. What Hutson did in his era is no less great than what Rice did in his, especially when you consider Hutson played both ways. We need to enjoy and respect them for what they were/are. In my mind Hutson is the greatest ever. The Lofton vs Sharpe argument is pretty interesting. It's really a shame we lost two players, Lewis and Sharpe, to the same condition who likely would have been HOF's. Can you imagine if Sharpe had stayed healthy, we may have two or four more Super Bowls!!!
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Greg C.
12 years ago
I should add that it works both ways. If Jerry Rice had played in the old days, he probably would've played defense too, and played it well.

I agree with most people that Donald Driver is at best the fourth best WR in Packer history (behind Hutson, Lofton, and Sharpe), but I feel very good about him breaking this record. He's durable, he's not afraid to take punishment, and he's a great team leader. I hope he stays healthy and has a 1,000 yard season.
blank
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
If Jerry Rice played in the old days he would have played both ways, he'd have had no choice, and yes I'm sure he would have playd well. But I'm still going to consider Hutson better the era, after all I am a Packer fan.

Driver getting the record is great. Even though he may not be the most talented all time Packer receiver he deserves it as much as any. He's been a leader, earned everything he got, classy, tough, etc. In general, a great Packer.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Don Hutson 6'1" 183
Jerry Rice 6'2" 200
Greg Jennings 5'11" 195
Reggie Wayne 6'0" 198

Hutson may have been a few pounds light, but he didn't have the work out regimen they have now. There are WRs in the league doing very well now that are as light.

Hutson ran the 100 yd dash in 9.8 seconds. Which is less than .8 seconds slower than the 2010 world record. If he was less than .4 seconds slower than the current world record in the 40 yard dash, he would be under 4.6 in the 40. Jerry Rice ran a 4.71.

I don't think there is anything in the modern NFL that Hutson would be unable to do. He did everything modern receivers do now with poorer equipment, no domes, no facemask and rules that didn't stop DBs from assaulting him all the way down the field. He was double and triple teamed for entire games. Hutson invented the WR position by introducing routes. Taking the team beyond the Knute Rockne Box Offence.

The medical treatment of injuries alone would knock most modern players out of the game within their first couple years. Or even in college. A torn knee was a death sentence for an NFL player in the 30s and 40s.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Donald Driver tied the yards record today.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Donald Driver tied the yards record today.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Yep. Good job Donald. I was hoping he would get one more ball thrown his way but they needed to run the clock out.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Congrats for Donald. He is a great guy and I like to see good guys do well.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
beast (5h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (23h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.