Pack93z
12 years ago
For me.. this campaign should have been over long ago.. based on the premises that we went in with. That hasn't changed, but the truth is that I follow Dakota's path of logic here.

It is all about two things.. black gold and feeding the pipeline of the machine that is our defense department.

We have more than enough to deal within our own borders to keep our focus, yet we insist on trying to police the world. That said, I truly believe that their is extreme value in military knowledge of the event of the world, but if it doesn't affect us directly why do we feel it our place to dictate our values upon others?

Power? Ego? Riches? Insecurity? Righteousness? Morality?

Probably a mixture of the above.. just what is our dominant motivation? I don't think it is heavy in either of the last two.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
12 years ago

For me.. this campaign should have been over long ago.. based on the premises that we went in with. That hasn't changed, but the truth is that I follow Dakota's path of logic here.

It is all about two things.. black gold and feeding the pipeline of the machine that is our defense department.

We have more than enough to deal within our own borders to keep our focus, yet we insist on trying to police the world. That said, I truly believe that their is extreme value in military knowledge of the event of the world, but if it doesn't affect us directly why do we feel it our place to dictate our values upon others?

Power? Ego? Riches? Insecurity? Righteousness? Morality?

Probably a mixture of the above.. just what is our dominant motivation? I don't think it is heavy in either of the last two.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

We can argue (or agree) to the ends of the earth about intentions or oil being a motivation behind war, but how much oil/oil money have we actually gotten out of Afghanistan? I mean that as a legitimate question, I've spent a half hour or so trying to research this but I'm finding it impossible to find any figures. Iraq seems like a much more likely target for a "get rich quick" scheme, but I always find it hard to believe that anyone can think that we could ever get more oil and resources OUT of a war than is put in, even if it was just a quick get in, kill Bin Laden and the Taliban leadership, throw in a provisional government and get out job. It's either one or the other - our leaders are bumbling idiots that can't do basic arithmetic, or they're highly intelligent manipulative plotters that manipulate the masses to get rich and still get out looking (sort of) harmless in the process.
Pack93z
12 years ago
Agreed on oil in Afghanistan, but we went into Iraq this time based on WMD claim and for a rationalized sense of self preservation in stopping terrorism.

Another note.. I don't think it is the actual revenue generated from the oil production, it is more about protecting the flow to the US, where I think the greed aspect comes in. The money generated from oil in this country powers many a political decision.

If WMD is the premise.. then we are in for a damn long haul if we are going to police all countries in that region.

Stopping Terrorism.. well what makes Iraq and Afghanistan different than Pakistan?

I am not going to pretend to know all the motivations of going back in this time, but I believe that we have methods of eliminating targets outside of invading and waging war if that target truly poses a threat to us or the overall good of the world.

No matter the logical and explained rationale for waging war, one thing I think has proven itself.. our presence their isn't "stopping" the wars of the people of the Middle East. It is just getting ourselves involved in something that really isn't our fight or in our interest other than the sources of energy.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

All I can say is that I'm damn glad I don't need to make the decisions about Afghanistan.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

If the Soviets couldn't subdue Afghanistan in 15 years, what makes us think we could do any better? Actually, as my history-major friend likes to point out, no nation has ever successfully subdued the tribes of Afghanistan. Not the United States, not the USSR, not Great Britain, not even Alexander the Great. For some reason, the world never learns.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago

If the Soviets couldn't subdue Afghanistan in 15 years, what makes us think we could do any better? Actually, as my history-major friend likes to point out, no nation has ever successfully subdued the tribes of Afghanistan. Not the United States, not the USSR, not Great Britain, not even Alexander the Great. For some reason, the world never learns.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

See, now I want to try. Now, when I get my orbital death laser, I know who my first target will be.
vegOmatic
12 years ago

And where are all the liberal dickheads that were crying "unjust war!" when Bush was in office? It seems like they disappeared when Obama took office. Weird.

Originally Posted by: IronMan 

They're too busy printing up BOMB LIBYA bumper sticker for their hybrids. 😛
blank
Rockmolder
12 years ago

And where are all the liberal dickheads that were crying "unjust war!" when Bush was in office? It seems like they disappeared when Obama took office. Weird.

Originally Posted by: IronMan 

You have to think that there's a slim difference between invading the country under shoddy reasoning and abrubtly pulling out of the shithole we/you created.

And, of course, the stakes got a little higher a while ago. Greed is one hell of a motivator.

A bit old, but still, it's Jon Stewart...

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-15-2010/ore-on-terror 
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Adding to this, it was the war in Afghanistan that brought down the Soviet Union's economy. Of all the ironies...
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (2h) : damn those vikings
beast (3h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (3h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (3h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (3h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (3h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (10h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (11h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (11h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.