Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Thought is might be interesting to look at some of the ridiculous laws/ordinances that exist in this country and actually have tried to be enforced via reports and whatnot.

While you can understand the root "reason" for the ordinance.. but come on... of course you are going to have some profiting from events in the peripheral.

Strong armed shutdowns of kids lemonade stands... way to properly define the unneeded ordinance. So now.. instead of defining exceptions to a piss poor ordinance.. put the decision into the hands of the police officer only waiting to create yet another "situation".

We seemingly have a ordinance for everything and how in the hell as citizens are we suppose to keep up with the mass.

Kid-run lemonade stands OK with city of Appleton

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20110720/APC0101/107200489/Kid-run-lemonade-stands-OK-Appleton?odyssey=tab |topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

Start stocking up on lemons, kids.

Despite the Sunday snafu during the old car show, lemonade stands are not under attack in Appleton. The next big summer crowd pleaser is Art in the Park on July 31. There will be thirsty masses to serve. So, dust off the cash box and prepare for some squeezing if you live around City Park.

"Get out there. Stock up some lemonade because it's supposed to be pretty nice out. And good luck," Mayor Tim Hanna said Tuesday.

City and police officials have had a lot of explaining and backtracking to do since an officer shut down a lemonade stand set up by sisters Lydia Coenen, 10, and Vivian Coenen, 9.

The girls were near their home about 7:30 a.m. Sunday, getting ready to sell their lemonade to car enthusiasts heading to Pierce Park for the Appleton Old Car Show & Swap Meet when the officer told them the sales were prohibited by city ordinance.

The law, which went into effect last month, bars licensed vendors from selling food and drinks within a two-block radius of any special events. The key word is "licensed."

Lemonade stands are not regulated in the state, and there are no plans to do so in the city. As a public health issue, they are low-risk for food-borne illnesses, health officials say. Additionally, the city doesn't want to get in the business of issuing permits to minors.

Police chief apologizes

Police Chief David Walsh, in a letter sent Monday to members of the Common Council, said his department takes responsibility for the uproar.

"Not our finest hour, but I believe the officer was acting in the spirit of inter-departmental cooperation rather than malice toward childhood lemonade stands. We often have to tell good people that their actions violate an ordinance," he wrote. "In this instance, it appears we went a step too far. I'll make sure it does not repeat itself."

Sgt. Pat DeWall said officers will be trained on how to regulate who can and cannot sell food and drinks around special-permit events.

But public debate continued to rage Tuesday over how the ordinance came to be and what prompted police to mess with two little girls' business — a neighborhood tradition for the past 15 years.

City leaders approved the ordinance on June 1, acting on a recommendation from the Safety & Licensing Committee.

Trying to protect nonprofits

The proposal was introduced by Kurt Eggebrecht, Appleton's public health officer, who also is a member of the Appleton Fox Cities Kiwanis Club.

The group is one of the sponsors of the car show and the event's food vendor.

Eggebrecht said that as a member of a nonprofit he was sensitive to the fiscal challenges organizers face at special events.

He brought up ice cream trucks that circle events or arrive early to park in prime spots and cut into sales by nonprofits.

"There are vendors who don't pay for the event (but) profit from it," he said. "We have been struggling a little bit about the number of hours it takes to raise the dollars that we're (putting in).

"The last couple of years, we've had vendors that tried to literally come into the park and certainly park around the park. It's easier to be proactive and say, 'How do we assist in this process?"

So, on July 11, he sent an email to the police front desk to remind them of the new ordinance and ask for their help at the car show.

"The intent was as those ice cream trucks are pulling up and lining up, if those police officers could inform them of the ordinance change," Eggebrecht said. "Hindsight is 20/20. But we never have regulated lemonade stands nor will we in the future. That is independent of what this discussion was and what we were trying to avoid."

Public events costly

Car clubs and the Kiwanis pay about $35,000 to present the car show each year. The money covers permits, advertising, trash removal, facilities rentals and first aid. It ensures visitors and car exhibitors get in free.

Each year, however, the margin of profit shrinks, and organizers are paying more in licensing fees.

Paul Shrode, Kiwanis committee co-chairman for the car show, estimated his organization made $21,000 from Sunday's event. Two-thirds of that money, however, will cover costs, leaving the group with a profit of $6,000 to $7,000.

It was an improvement from 2010, when Kiwanis made a profit of $2,600, in large part because morning showers kept visitors away.

"Fundamentally, this is an opportunity for a group of civic-minded people to really do a lot of volunteer work and try to make a great event for the community as well as give back to the community," said Shrode, who noted that the car show is one of the Kiwanis' largest fundraisers of the year.

"I hope that the dollars raised don't mask the fact that this is an organization of people. We all pay our dues to be members, but there isn't a single benefit to any of us that comes from the fundraisers. All of the dollars that we raise in Kiwanis go back to the community. That is fundamental to our purpose and the nature of our organization."

Nonprofits like the Kiwanis have the mayor's backing.

"People who put the effort should be able to benefit. That's why they are putting the effort in. Ultimately, the community is the beneficiary," Hanna said.

No changes to ordinance

When the council meets today, don't expect for there to be any changes to the ordinance, he said.

Hanna stressed it was never intended to affect children running their lemonade stands or people who want to take advantage of their proximity to a special event and hold a rummage sale.

"I give a lot of credit to the family and parents for taking such a positive attitude," he said of the Coenen/Mann family, which made a point of saying police had nothing to apologize for. "They could have been pointing fingers and saying, 'Look at this big, bad government.'

"It could have been a whole commentary on the role of government, and (the mother, Margi Mann) recognized, 'You know what? They made a mistake. They came back. They apologized. What more do you want?'"

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
12 years ago
Jail time for a garden.. seriously. And we are supposedly turning into a "green" nation.. lol.

Julie Bass Jail Vegetable Garden
Oak Park, Mich., resident Julie Bass faces misdemeanor charges for refusing to remove a garden from her front yard.

The Huffington Post  Steven Hoffer  First Posted: 7/8/11 04:07 PM ET Updated: 7/12/11 05:07 PM ET

This post has been updated with new information and quotations since it was first published on Friday, July 8.

This isn't your typical, garden-variety crime.

After a warning, a ticket and now a misdemeanor charge, an Oak Park, Mich., woman faces up to 93 days in jail for refusing to remove a vegetable crop from her front lawn.

Julie Bass says that she thought it would be "really cool" for the neighbors and kids to see a frontyard garden, but some city officials don't appreciate the vegetable plot.

"It just made me angry that the city can bully you into doing something when you're not in violation of anything," she said.

According to Bass, the disagreement stems from a gray area in the city legislation which allows for decorative planting in the front yard but does not specifically address vegetable gardening. She planted the garden after a busted sewage pipe tore up her lawn.

To fight the charges, Bass has started a blog -- Oak Park Hates Veggies -- to chronicle her battle with the authorities.

"We now find ourselves in a storm of controversy worthy of some high level mischief. Seriously?" she wrote in an entry. "It's a GARDEN. It's not a high crime or treason or murder. IT'S VEGETABLES. And yes, we did throw in a few flowers."

There's also a Facebook page with 980 fans and a thread on the Internet message board Reddit with nearly 400 comments supporting her lawn farming.

According to a local ABC affiliate, city code states that "all unpaved portions of the site shall be planted with grass or ground cover or shrubbery or other suitable live plant material."

Posing the question: Are cabbages, peppers, tomatos and cucumbers "suitable" for the front lawn?

"If you look at the definition of what suitable is in Webster's dictionary, it will say common. So, if you look around and you look in any other community, what's common to a front yard is a nice, grass yard with beautiful trees and bushes and flowers," Oak Park City Planner Kevin Rulkowski told MyFox Detroit.

Nevertheless, Bass has refused to comply with the city's requests to remove the plants or place them in her backyard.

"I thought that what we were doing was completely in line with what is suitable," Bass said.

As far as whether she's willing to do hard time for farming on the front lawn, Bass says she will fight to the end, but actually going to jail is just too much to think about.

"I'm willing to go to jail in a theoretical sense, but the idea of me going to jail for this is so mind-blowing," she said.

Bass has hired an attorney and a pre-trial is scheduled for July 26.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Formo
12 years ago

Jail time for a garden.. seriously. And we are supposedly turning into a "green" nation.. lol.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Done as a society.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
12 years ago
They want "green".....as long as it can't be SEEN by anybody, and doesn't affect THEIR property value.
In other words, as long as it doesn't COST them anything.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
12 years ago
Just silliness.

N.M. mayor wants contracts he signed voided because he signed them drunk 
(AP)

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Mexico border town mayor and congressional candidate Martin Resendiz was drunk when he signed nine contracts with a California company that is now suing the city for $1 million, according to a deposition in the case.

UserPostedImage

"The day I signed . I had way too much to drink. It was after 5 p.m. and I signed it (the contracts) and I didn't know what I was signing," Sunland Park, N.M., Mayor Martin Resendiz wrote in response to questions from lawyers for the architectural design firm Synthesis+. "My sister had to pick me up."

The lawsuit claims the company is owed $1 million for work performed under the nine contracts, according to a report Thursday in the Albuquerque Journal. Sunland Park contends the contracts were not valid because they weren't approved by the City Council.

Resendiz, a former El Paso, Texas, police officer and Sunland Park municipal judge. He has been mayor since March 2008 and has said he plans to seek the Democratic nomination to challenge Republican U.S. Rep. Steve Pearce.

Resendiz could not be reached Thursday morning but his office said it expected to issue a statement later in the day.

According to a transcript of Resendiz's June 2010 deposition by attorney Victor Poulos, Resendiz acknowledged signing the documents in May or June 2008 after several hours of drinking with Sythesis+ executives at Ardovino's Crossing, an Italian restaurant in Sunland Park. Among the executives present was architect Daniel Soltero.

"Again, this was after two or three hours of us drinking, not exactly the best time to do business, not exactly the best time to read over legal documents, which he (Soltero) did not portray at any time to be legal documents," Resendiz said according to a transcript of the deposition.

City Councilor Daniel Salinas, who was also deposed, said under oath he was at the restaurant meeting and was also inebriated.

Synthesis+ officials said the mayor signed the documents in July 2008 at the Sunland Park city hall and that the mayor was sober.

Poulos said it was the first time in his 33 years of practicing law that someone had acknowledged signing a contract while drunk.

Pack93z
  • Pack93z
12 years ago
First time I think I have ever heard of a bank turning away cash deposits. I can understand from the article why, but still seems odd on principle.

Cash hoarders make bank uncomfortable 

The Bank of New York Mellon is politely telling big clients to consider taking their large cash deposits elsewhere.

By Kim Peterson on Thu, Aug 4, 2011 1:29 PM

Banks love cash deposits, right? They get more money to play with, more loans to create and more ways to invest.

But there can be such a thing as too much cash, as the Bank of New York Mellon (BK) is discovering. The bank's big clients are hoarding cash, and that's becoming a liability. So the bank is going to start charging fees for cash deposits from big account holders, CNBC reports.

The flood of cash deposits is hiking the bank's insurance fees and screwing with the capital ratio requirements outlined by regulators. In other words, holding all that money is getting expensive.

So the bank is politely telling people to take their cash elsewhere. It wants clients to reduce their deposit balances and "consider a variety of cash investment options to minimize any effect on you," CNBC reports.

Only huge deposits are causing these problems, it sounds like. So the bank is focusing on certain deposits made by account holders whose monthly average balance tops $50 million. Those deposits will collect a fee of 0.13 percentage points.

zombieslayer
12 years ago
This makes me want to punch a bank exec in the face, especially one of them that got MY bailout tax money.

Just another excuse to screw over customers. If someone pulled this on me, I'd close the account on the spot.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Since69
12 years ago
I read a great book about 10 years ago, "The Death of Common Sense". It's all about the over-regulation of government and the idiocy of trying to make laws that cover every conceivable situation. You'd like it, Shawn...
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
12 years ago

I read a great book about 10 years ago, "The Death of Common Sense". It's all about the over-regulation of government and the idiocy of trying to make laws that cover every conceivable situation. You'd like it, Shawn...

Originally Posted by: Since69 

Thanks for the suggestion.. I will pick it up and read it.

DakotaT
12 years ago

This makes me want to punch a bank exec in the face, especially one of them that got MY bailout tax money.

Just another excuse to screw over customers. If someone pulled this on me, I'd close the account on the spot.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

See, I think what was missed in that bail out sham with the banks and auto makers was that a lot of executive folks should have received some guillotine justice. The government should not expect the common man to accept slapping those assholes on the wrist, and then allow them to continue to loot and pillage. It is unacceptable.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (2h) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (6h) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (9h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.