macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Wonderful..."Finley’s mouth is in midseason form as well"...that says all you need to know about this article.

Whether what he's saying is right or not, the manner in which he's saying things isn't (in my opinion)...he's well past confident into cocky ("I guarantee I’m going to get them back [to the Super Bowl] this year.”

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/07%2F15%2F11_Finley_talks_talk%2C_vows_to_walk_walk/19?feed=2 

GREEN BAY – Jermichael Finley says his knee is ready for the 2011 NFL season, and based on a few things the Green Bay Packers loquacious tight end had to say after a workout in the Twin Cities with his friend, Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Finley’s mouth is in midseason form as well.

The talkative, confident Finley spoke with Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune and other reporters after the workout and pronounced himself cleared for action and also expressed confidence that the Super Bowl XLV champions, who went on to win the NFL title without him following his right knee injury at Washington Oct. 10 – will repeat. Finley also spoke boldly about his role in the Packers’ offense and of the Minnesota Vikings’ chances in 2011.

“I was out Week 5 of last season, so just imagine that. I’m thirsty, hungry, dehydrated, I’m all of the above right now so I can’t wait to get back and play some ball,” said Finley, who caught 21 passes for a team-leading 301 yards (team-best 14.3-yard average) and one touchdown before tearing the meniscus in his right knee against the Redskins. “It was bittersweet. Being out Week 5 and then winning the Super Bowl and you not being a part of it. You’re like, ‘What did I do wrong?’ It’s one of those things where you have to learn from it and grow.”

“I was walking through the locker room (after the Packers’ 31-25 victory over Pittsburgh) and I saw the guys just stoked and happy and I was happy. But at the same time I was like, ‘[Shoot], I didn’t do nothing. I didn’t play.’ I guarantee I’m going to get them back this year.”

Asked if he’s been cleared to return to practice, Finley replied, “They are not clearing me, I’m clearing myself. I’m getting out there and playing this year without a doubt.

“Every step counts, every ball I get thrown to me in practice counts right now. I think (the injury) was a blessing, to tell you the truth. I saw the game from a different standpoint. It made me learn the defenses, it made me learn how to detail my routes and everything. Just seeing the game from a different standpoint, I got more knowledge.”

Finley said he’s glad that his teammates didn’t put together player-organized workouts during the offseason because he can’t wait to impress them when they return to the practice field.

“To tell you the truth, I’m glad they’ve done that,” Finley said. “I can come back and the first thing they’re going to see is me sprinting. I guarantee you right now, Green Bay, they don’t think I’m ready.”

Finley, who has a home in Minneapolis in addition to homes in Green Bay and Arizona, said he is in the Twin Cities regularly because his agent, doctor and trainer are all Minneapolis-based. Those who follow Finley on Twitter (@JermichaelF88) know he is there on a regular basis.

“My whole team is here and I needed that right now. I needed the support and this offseason has been the best offseason I’ve had,” said Finley, who contracted a staph infection after his knee surgery that set back his recovery significantly.

Before his injury, Finley was the focal point of the Packers’ offense, which transitioned toward Pro Bowl wide receiver Greg Jennings thereafter. Finley wasn’t bashful when discussing what he expects his role to be in the Packers’ offense this season, going so far as to say that he’s slimmed down in hopes of lining up more often as a receiver and less often in a three-point stance at the line of scrimmage.

“(The offense) will be way, way different. I guarantee you it’s going to be … we’re going to have a deadly team this year. … I can see us in Indianapolis this year. No doubt,” Finley said, referring to the site of Super Bowl XLVI.

“I’m thinner right now. GB (is) probably not like me right now but I’m trying to stand up this year. I’m not going to sugarcoat it. I think (lining up in) a two-point (stance), I can get on the linebacker quicker, I can get on the safety quicker and it’s a win-win for me and 12 (quarterback Aaron Rodgers).”

According to Finley, he stood up “a good 60” percent of the time last year. “Standing up, I think that’s the best position for me,” he said. Asked if the coaches are comfortable with that, Finley replied, “They’re going to be comfortable with it.”

Finley, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract and is set to become a free agent after the season, pointed out that the Packers have other tight ends like Tom Crabtree and Spencer Havner who are more blockers than pass-catchers, and also pointed out that the team drafted tight ends D.J. Williams (fifth round) and Ryan Taylor (seventh round) this spring.

We’ve got tons of guys (who can block), to tell you the truth and we drafted two of them. We drafted two tight ends this year,” Finley said. Asked if the selections of Williams and Taylor raised some eyebrows, Finley replied, “It did, but at the same time I know my ability and I see the ability they brought in and I guarantee you I’ll still be a focus.”

ESPN540Milwaukee wrote:

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
12 years ago
I've been a huge Finley supporter, but some of these quotes are over the top. They may sound worse than they really are though.

Some confidence is good, but not over-confidence. The Packers are the wrong team to be on if you're going to be talking like this. Ted Thompson won't take it.

I really hope everything works out because he is going to be great.
UserPostedImage
azrunning
12 years ago
His talent is scary; but so is his immaturity and me first attitude. Hopefully the team leaders/coaching staff/management will be able to handle all of it.
blank
porky88
12 years ago
I think he gets a bad rap because fans think he's the next Terrell Owens. Personally, I've always felt T.O. rather received a bad rap at times too.

With that said, I sure hope this statement was taken out of context.

According to Finley, he stood up “a good 60” percent of the time last year. “Standing up, I think that’s the best position for me,” he said. Asked if the coaches are comfortable with that, Finley replied, “They’re going to be comfortable with it.”

I like the fact that he thinks he can take the team to the Super Bowl. Every player should think that way. I like the fact that he's focus and confident in his ability, despite GB drafting two TEs. I even like the fact that he wants to get on the field bad enough that he clears himself.

I hate that he's speaking for the coaches like that. Let them define the roles and you know yours. Like it or not, he's going to have to block this year. That is part of his responsibility as an NFL TE.
12 years ago
The Packers can survive if he does not want to sign with them this next off season.

He seems like a guy who is on probation. Is is difficult to say how he would behave if he got a large contract.

It could be that if he is made an offer it will be a 3 year deal and not a 4 or 5 year deal.

How he plays and acts in the locker room this year will make the determination.
blank
12 years ago
I'm not too happy about him slimming down. His size is part of the reason he is impossible to cover 1 on 1.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

The Packers can survive if he does not want to sign with them this next off season.

He seems like a guy who is on probation. Is is difficult to say how he would behave if he got a large contract.

It could be that if he is made an offer it will be a 3 year deal and not a 4 or 5 year deal.

How he plays and acts in the locker room this year will make the determination.

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez 

I don't know what the big deal is: franchise tag his ass and either pay him, or let his agent work out a trade. He's not getting out of GB for free. In the end if he's gone, you parlay that 4th round pick into a second or first rounder. There's two guys on our roster that could possibly hold us up for ransom and Finley is not one of them (Matthews and Rogers, and possibly Raji).
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
12 years ago
He seems like a mix between Dez Bryant and T.O. Sorry porky 😉 T.O. for "obvious" reasons, but Dez Bryant because he has three homes? On a half-million salary? I highly doubt that they are the types of homes that the average Joe has. I don't mind that he did that so much as the fact that it just shows stupidity. What if he blows out his knee again and is done with football? What Friday Night Lights, guy! He is just so caught up in himself I can't handle it sometimes. I agree that GB is not the place for him to be if he is going to continue doing this. The feeling I get from the rest of the team is that they just put their heads down, shaking them and muttering to themselves any time he talks. My one counterpoint is that he is friends with arguably the most respectable and professional player in the NFL, Larry Fitzgerald. Friends, not mentor/mentee. Hopefully that means that there is something good to his personality.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Jermichael Finley seems like Jermichael Finley to me.

I can't recall Finley verbally attacking his offensive coordinator or position coach on the side line.
I can't recall Finley being labeled a distraction in the locker room.
I can't recall Finley blasting his QB, or saying his QB is gay.

Thus, removing any stupid ass comparision between Terrell Owens and Jermichael Finely.

Basing my opinion off other players/coaches have said about Finley's remarks, I'm confident Finley is just having fun with the media and if we take it for more than that, well, that's our problem. I'll wait until players and/or coaches say it's an issue before I irresponsibly compare his comments to that of the antics of a Terrell Owens.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
12 years ago
He doesn't remind you of T.O. more than, say, Donald Driver reminds you of T.O.? Thats what I'm saying. He is not in the middle of the pack. No, he is not T.O. I don't believe you can find me saying that. Just that he has parts of him in his personality. Don't call me irresponsible because I point out my own opinion and I will refrain from throwing like terms your way when you post yours.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (43m) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (43m) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (44m) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (59m) : 4th
Zero2Cool (1h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (3h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (8h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (8h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (23h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.