Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

UserPostedImage

This 11-year-old schoolgirl had a baby . . . on her wedding day 

by Jane Atkinson in Sliven, Bulgaria
November 1, 2009

UserPostedImage
WEDDING: Jeliazko and Kordeza, hours from giving birth

HOLDING up her tiny baby for the camera, 11-year-old bride Kordeza declares: "I'm not going to play with toys any more - I have a new toy now."

For the youngster barely old enough to start senior school has just become a MOTHER after going into labour during her WEDDING to her teenage boyfriend.

She was still wearing her flowing white dress and tiara when she arrived at hospital and gave birth to 5lb 8oz Violeta.

But after spending the night with her newborn, Kordeza - who you can see on video below - changed back into her wedding dress and nipped out to finish the ceremony.

And the Zhelyazkova family couldn't be happier for their child bride - the youngest girl ever to give birth in a city where 13-year-old mums are routine.

After leaving hospital this week, Kordeza - who fell pregnant within two weeks of her 11th birthday - spoke exclusively to the News of the World.

With proud husband Jeliazko Dimitrov, 19, at her side, Kordeza admitted: "It feels strange to be a mum and have a baby.

"I used to play with my toys but now she is my new toy. She is so beautiful, I love her. Violeta is the child and I must grow up. I am not going back to school - I am a mother now."

Kordeza met Jeliazko in the playground of her Roma gypsy school in Sliven, Bulgaria, when he rescued her from bullies.

The worried teenager - who is facing up to six years in prison for having sex with a minor - wrings his hands as he recalled: "I was walking past the school when I saw some boys mocking her and I told them to leave her alone.

"Then she arranged to meet me and asked me out on our first date. I thought she was 15. She didn't tell me she was 11."

Kordeza giggled: "I didn't want to say in case he wouldn't fancy me."

The pair went on their first date to their local park then met at his mum Violeta's house near the gypsy ghetto where they both grew up.

UserPostedImage
IN THE GHETTO: Kordeza's dilapidated home

But within a WEEK of them meeting, their daughter was conceived. Kordeza admitted: "I haven't had sex education classes and I didn't know how to get pregnant. I'd never had a boyfriend and I'd never heard of condoms.

"I didn't know I was pregnant until my grandmother saw I had put on weight. I just thought I'd eaten too many burgers."

By then Kordeza was five months pregnant and living with her grandmother Dida, 55, because her parents were both working on vineyards in Spain.

Home is a ramshackle one- bedroom bungalow with no bathroom tucked away in a labyrinth of filthy alleys in the ghetto - ironically called Hope.

Dida said: "I noticed she was getting fatter and asked if she was OK. But she's a shy girl and she just shrugged at me. I never imagined she was having sex. She's the kind of girl that likes to play on the computer and loves her schoolwork - her favourite subject is maths.

"I was still worried though and when she told me she had met a boy I bought her a pregnancy test. I hit the roof when it was positive, and she cried and cried."

Incredibly, it is not uncommon for Roma girls to fall pregnant in their teens. Sliven is the underage mums capital of Europe with 177 cases last year.

Dida, who herself married at 13, explained: "It's normal for our girls to have babies young. It's our tradition. But I didn't want it for my Kordeza - I felt she was too young."

When Jeliazko found out he was going to be a dad he dashed back from Spain, where he had been working on farms.

He recalled: "I was really scared. We didn't plan to have sex or a baby although I fell in love with Kordeza the moment I saw her."

UserPostedImage
PROUD GRANNIES: Raina, right, and Violeta

Her mum Raina, 33, said: "I fainted when I found out Kordeza was pregnant. I couldn't believe it but I knew I had to stand by her."

The family quickly planned a three-day Roma wedding for October 22 - so Kordeza and Jeliazko could be married before the baby was born.

His mum Violeta, 36, married at 13 and had him when she was 14. She explained: "It is so important for our women to be married when they have a baby."

Nobody presides over the ceremony, but Roma gypsies believe the weddings - where most brides are aged 14 to 17 - are legal in their tradition and more important than a conventional service.

But as the families marked the second day of celebrations, Kordeza went into labour a week early. She explained: "I had been having pain in the morning and a couple of hours into the wedding it got worse."

She was rushed to hospital and gave birth 20 minutes later. Kordeza said: "It was quite easy but painful too. I was very happy when I saw her. She has a nose like me and hair like Jeliazko."

The new mum then returned to the ceremony in time to be married before getting back to the hospital to feed her baby.

Both grandmothers will be guardians of baby Violeta, easing the concerns of local social services who initially wanted to take the baby into care. Kordeza and her daughter will receive £70 a month in state benefits.

Hospital doctor Sonya Mihaylova confirmed: "This is the youngest child who ever gave birth in our ward."

Raina said: "Kordeza is still a child and I hope to do everything I can to make sure she isn't robbed of her free time."

Prison
But her new husband Jeliazko is not allowed to live with her as the Prosecutor's Office is investigating the case. For having sex with a girl under 14 he could face two to six years in prison.

Jeliazko said: "I'm scared. I want to look after my wife and child. Instead I may be going to prison. I made a mistake but I am not going to apologise for that because now I have beautiful Violeta." Raina added: "Everybody seems to be against Kordeza and Jeliazko but what have they done wrong? They are a young couple in love."

They are already planning their future together. Jeliazko said: "We know that having a baby is a big responsibility. My wife is young but I will make sure that I look after both of them if the law allows me."

And he dreams of giving his daughter a better future. "I am going to work hard and make sure we all have a good life," he promised. "I want Violeta to be educated, to be able to read and write. She was born famous and maybe she will stay famous like becoming a doctor who invents brilliant medicine or saves lives.

"Whatever she does I will be proud of her - she is my little girl."

Kordeza adds: "I don't want more children right away. I think one is enough for now."

The family are planning a huge party next week to celebrate Violeta's birth. Jeliazko's mum said: "We want to show her off. I just hope that my son does not go to prison.

"He is a good boy and a hard worker. He loves his wife and he will support his baby.

"I don't think it matters that they are young. They are in love with each other and the baby. Surely that is enough."

GOT a story? Email features@notw.co.uk or call 0207 782 1001

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
12 years ago
Geez.......well, that's kind of nice, the "mother" can help her kid with her homework, as they will probably be in the same school.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago
Link redirects to a splash page.. Only link from there only leads to buying of the 'farewell edition'.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Damn! According to Wikipedia , that newspaper went out of business on July 10, 2011. I have put in links to alternative sources, where available, for photos in the above story, but I think most of them will be lost for good. They are still available in Google Photos for preview, but they will be flushed out of the cache soon enough.

This is exactly why I favor the posting of entire articles as opposed to links. You never know when a site will go out of business or delete content, and then future readers don't get to see or view the content posted in a thread. If you go back a few of years in this forum, most of the links to articles are dead, and there is no way to read the original articles that are cited.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

Damn! According to Wikipedia , that newspaper went out of business on July 10, 2011. I have put in links to alternative sources, where available, for photos in the above story, but I think most of them will be lost for good. They are still available in Google Photos for preview, but they will be flushed out of the cache soon enough.

This is exactly why I favor the posting of entire articles as opposed to links. You never know when a site will go out of business or delete content, and then future readers don't get to see or view the content posted in a thread. If you go back a few of years in this forum, most of the links to articles are dead, and there is no way to read the original articles that are cited.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Hey, I'm not opposed to posting articles, I'm just partial to hitting up links because they tend to lead to similar stories, videos/pictures of said article, etc.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
I do the same thing. But I rarely want to click through a link unless I am sure the content is worth it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (12h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (16h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (16h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.