beast
12 years ago

It only HURTS their hit counter if you PREVIOUSLY frequented the sources site and STOPPED because another site you frequent has some or most of that content.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I disagree with that.

Your right that it only hurts their CURRENT hit counter if you previously went and then stop going.

But where you wrong is... if you add the article instead of just the link...

You hurt their POTENTIAL hit counter... and what they potential could of made. With the link only it could bring even more people to read the article on their site...

If others missed it then the site and/or article probably isn't interesting enough to go to, unless things are very slow and boring. So go to the cool sites with a lot of different articles from everywhere like packershome.com =p~
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
12 years ago

Why would I go to his site if his (and others) articles are posted on this great site? I wouldn't... cus this site already has his articles... and more...

Originally Posted by: beast 

Because as both Zero and myself have said there is no guarantee all of his articles are going to be posted here. If I really like someone's stuff I'm going to want to read all of his articles and I'm going to cut the middle man out and get his stuff directly so that I know I've read all of his articles that I wanted to read.

He also has a chance to get more hits if I go to his site directly rather than waiting for someone else to post articles somewhere else. If I regularly go to his site unprompted by someone else I'm going to check regularly to see if he's posted a new article. That means I'm probably going to check more often than he actually posts articles. I'm not creating hits on his site more often than he's writing articles, whereas with a situation where I only go there through third party sources I can only create hits on his site as often as he writes the article and that's assuming every one of them is even posted on the third party site, which is likely not the case.

And is he really getting any more exposure having the link and article posted vs. just the link? I would so but not much so...

You're going to have people that aren't going to want to follow random links. Why should I follow this link if I don't know what it is? I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels that way. There is also Zero's sentiment that it helps for archiving on his site to have all the text right there. I'd say having your material archived on other sources so that it is more readily retrievable in the future will increase exposure as not everyone on a forum or other site will see it posted the first time.

One other point I think might be worth considering is the fact that we are debating his policy on exposure, not his article. This doesn't help his cause any and would not have happened if he didn't care if the full article was posted on this site. A week from now I'm going to remember this discussion regarding the strategy of how to expose your website and maximize ad revenue. I'm not going to remember what this article was about or whether or not it was any good. That doesn't help my prospects of returning to his site.
Born and bred a cheesehead
beast
12 years ago

You're going to have people that aren't going to want to follow random links.

Originally Posted by: mi_keys 

And your going to have people that aren't going to want to click on the link if the article is already there right in front of you. Like I've been saying two different argument to it.

Personally I'm more likely to go to a site if I have to go there to read the article, instead of just reading it here.

I understand why Zero wants the text here and I agree with him that it's nice to have to go back to and summing it up would probably be best.

But I disagree to think badly of a writer just because he wants/needs hits, because sometimes they need them to keep the site going. When a simple link and summing it up could give it just as much exposure.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I disagree with that.

Your right that it only hurts their CURRENT hit counter if you previously went and then stop going.

But where you wrong is... if you add the article instead of just the link...

You hurt their POTENTIAL hit counter... and what they potential could of made. With the link only it could bring even more people to read the article on their site...

If others missed it then the site and/or article probably isn't interesting enough to go to, unless things are very slow and boring. So go to the cool sites with a lot of different articles from everywhere like packershome.com =p~

You are certainly correct when you say that by coming to a site, creating a topic, posting a message containing just a link, yes, that DOES help the linked site greatly, because it gets them exposure!!!

However, I personally feel that's a slap in the face to the owner of the site you're posting nothing but a link on. You're essentially saying, "hey folks, forget this site, springboard yourself here!". That's just rude and throws sand in my vah-jay-jay.

I'm guessing we could back and forth for weeks about this, lol... but I've created websites and made them prominent, helped others make their site prominent and know what works and what doesn't. I've got the experience that says your train of thought alone simply is not the most beneficial method of getting traffic and retaining said traffic.

But I disagree to think badly of a writer just because he wants/needs hits, because sometimes they need them to keep the site going. When a simple link and summing it up could give it just as much exposure.

If I said I think badly of a writer because they do not want their full material posted elsewhere, that is incorrect. I respect that position and appreciate it. However, if one is attempting to gain traffic, they should (in my experience) advocate others spreading their material (with a link to the source) as readily as possible.
UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

that says your train of thought

It's not my train of thought (it's the train of thought of the site we're talking about and most article site)
I was just disagreeing with your "lacks confidence" and "foolish" remarks (and some others) but you have cleared everything up.

However, I personally feel that's a slap in the face to the owner of the site you're posting nothing but a link on. You're essentially saying, "hey folks, forget this site, springboard yourself here!". That's just rude and throws sand in my vah-jay-jay.

Thanks for sharing. Would a summary and link be alright or would that still be throwing sand in your vah-jay-jay or would it be acceptable? Because the guy just asked to "Please don’t re-post entire stories."... a summary might work for both sides.

If I said I think badly of a writer because they do not want their full material posted elsewhere, that is incorrect. I respect that position and appreciate it.

That is simply what I was trying to get at.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

It's not my train of thought (it's the train of thought of the site we're talking about and most article site)

](*,) 😣 😣 😣 This is hilarious. You're telling a site owner, with quite extensive experience he's wrong with nothing to support yourself, except you keep pounding your chest with the same thing over and over again acting as if you say it again, it makes it true. Quite annoying and hopefully no one out there is even considering taking your ill advised advice.

Thanks for sharing. Would a summary and link be alright or would that still be throwing sand in your vah-jay-jay or would it be acceptable? Because the guy just asked to "Please don’t re-post entire stories."... a summary might work for both sides.

This doesn't come as a surprise, but you obviously haven't read much of what I said in this thread. :P

Quite a few don't like Mike Florio, but I really like how he writes up his own opinion-perception-summary to articles he's read and then links to them. I personally think most of the article, plus a link and whomever is posting said link/article should give a thought out opinion on what they've posted serves everyone's interest admirably. I know I'm guilty of failing to do that because often times, I'll find an article and just post it here so I can read it later.

Zero2Cool wrote:

To avoid any conflict, if an author/writer does not want their stuff posted elsewhere, I don't want it here at all. In what some will claim hypocritical fashion, if it's a place like ESPN or some other already prominent website, full article with link or summary with link is perfectly acceptable.

UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

You're telling a site owner... he's wrong

No, I was doing the opposite... I was saying everyone has a right to do things their own way. But then this got to talking about which is the best way (which I'm not arguing what so ever, but you keep assuming I'm telling you that your wrong about it... I have no doubt you know the best way more so than me... I'm not arguing that point what so ever and haven't been... I was arguing that their are different ways and no way should be looked down on)

(which you have since cleared up and agreed with me on the other part)

This doesn't come as a surprise, but you obviously haven't read much of what I said in this thread. :P

That's BS... I have read that and I said I agree with your commit early about summing it up... I was trying to clear up some confusion if we could still link to that site if we summed it up.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
What is your guys' obsession with the hit counter? Name me one site that makes money based on its hit counter alone.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

What is your guys' obsession with the hit counter? Name me one site that makes money based on its hit counter alone.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

HitCounter.com??

Oh and what's this "your guys" bit all about fella???
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Good point. I hadn't thought about that site.

And I could say "youse guys" if you would prefer. :-&
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.