beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
====> Link <==== 

Former Green Bay Packers G Fuzzy Thurston's Super Bowl II ring being sold to settle $1.7M tax debt

Fuzzy Thurston’s Super Bowl II ring will be sold at auction in August as part of the government’s 28-year battle over taxes with the former Green Bay Packers lineman.

U.S. marshals seized Thurston’s ring, awarded at the end of the 1967 season, and plan to sell it to recover some of the $1.7 million the government claims Thurston owes in back taxes.

The sale comes just weeks after the Packers received Super Bowl XLV rings for their victory at the end of the 2010 season.

According to documents filed in U.S. District Court’s Western District, the government had hoped to sell more than just one of Thurston’s rings. A court order dated last week calls for the sale of rings from Super Bowl I and II, NFL championship rings from 1958, 1961, 1962 and 1965, other sports memorabilia and a gold watch.

It appears authorities have not managed to get hold of those items.

Heritage Auctions, a Texas auction house, has been appointed by the court to sell Thurston’s assets but has only one of Thurston’s Super Bowl rings along with his 1960 Packers helmet and two 1960 footballs signed by members of the Packers, including coach Vince Lombardi.

The ring will be auctioned at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Ill., on Aug. 4, along with a variety of unrelated sports memorabilia. Thurston’s helmet and the footballs will be offered in the Fall Heritage Sports auction that closes Nov. 11.

The Super Bowl ring is expected to fetch more than $20,000, although auction officials expect a spirited bidding that could take the final price much higher.

There have been other instances of Super Bowl I or Super Bowl II rings being sold in the past, but the Thurston ring likely will be considered one of the most popular player rings offered from either of the first two Super Bowls.

Paul Hornung’s Super Bowl I ring sold for approximately $40,000 in 2002, while former offensive lineman Steve Wright sold his Super Bowl I ring last month for $73,409.

Elijah Pitts’ Super Bowl II ring once sold for approximately $30,000, although the diamonds in that ring were replaced with faux diamonds.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Formo
12 years ago
Seriously dude?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
vikesrule
12 years ago
Sorry to see that old Fuzzy has some IRS issues.

A little more info (opinion) on why....

Fuzzy Thurston Has Some Tax Problems 
....The Press-Gazette reports that these unpaid taxes date back to 1978 through 1980 from a failed restaurant business. Since he's seemed like an active business man with his tickets and tours business, I'm not surprised he got involved in a business investment that went south at some point.

The IRS is still after him on such an old debt because it involves other peoples' tax withholdings. He withheld taxes from his employees and his restaurant business didn't turn it over to the IRS. Not paying your own income taxes is one thing, but failing to turn over someone else's taxes is something the IRS aggressively pursues and it holds the business owners accountable. I'm a little confused by the article, it seems like the government is still involved in the suit, but a private party was mentioned as the plaintiff....

Packerchick
12 years ago

Sorry to see that old Fuzzy has some IRS issues.

A little more info (opinion) on why....

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

how about the vikings selling some of their super bowl trophies and rings, maybe that will help them build their new stadium 😂 👅 😛
I am a woman and I love football.
Cheesey
12 years ago

how about the vikings selling some of their super bowl trophies and rings, maybe that will help them build their new stadium 😂 👅 😛

Originally Posted by: Packerchick 

Oh PC....SNAP! LOL!
UserPostedImage
Packerchick
12 years ago

Oh PC....SNAP! LOL!

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

ha ha ha

I am a woman and I love football.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
more commentary on the subject. 

Former Green Bay Packers guard Fuzzy Thurston has some money problems.

They’re the stupid kind of money problems, too. Fuzzy thought he could beat the taxman.

Fuzzy, not surprisingly, was mistaken.

The Fuzz owes $1.7 million in back taxes and he’s apparently been battling the government for 28 years. So, the government seized Thurston’s Super Bowl II ring, along with some other memorabilia to help settle the debt. The items will be auctioned in August.

Of course, Packers fans were quick to spring to action when they heard Thurston was in trouble. And no, they didn’t do the logical thing — try to raise money.

Instead, you get the Save Fuzzy Thurston Facebook page, which is asking people to petition president Barack Obama to pardon Thurston.

Yup.

Brilliant!

First of all, that pud is a Chicago Bears fan. Second of all… well, you’re not that stupid, so I don’t need to get into the probability of a presidential pardon being granted to a tax cheat.

Fans should be happy Thurston somehow managed to hide his Super Bowl I ring, as well as his 1958, 1961, 1962 and 1965 NFL Championship rings from authorities.

A court order called for the sale of all the rings.

The items that will be auctioned will hardly put a dent in Thurston’s tax debt and it looks like he may be able to keep the rings authorities couldn’t find (providing, as we assume, he knows where they are).

Frankly, that doesn’t seem fair to me regardless of what I think about him as a football player.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
There's no reason to pardon him. If he had paid the $300k (or whatever it was) originally, he'd be fine. You can't cheat or dodge the government for nearly three decades and then get away with it.

The thing that bothers me is the people who are petitioning for Fuzzy to get a pardon are the same ones who bitch about celebrities getting preferential treatment.

You can't have it special treatment for celebrities you like, then bitch about it when it happens to celebrities you don't like. You're not the Judge.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
You tell em Zero!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (16-Jun) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (16-Jun) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
16-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

16-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.