nerdmann
12 years ago
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2011/6/19/2231960/receiver-analysis-why-the-packers-need-randall-cobb 

This weekend, I looked back at the Green Bay Packers receivers over the past three years, and I've drawn a few conclusions.

WR Greg Jennings is awesome. Not a big surprise. He's the only healthy, elite receiver they've had over each of the past three seasons. And he stepped it up in 2010 after injuries hit the rest of the roster.

WR Donald Driver. He wasn't productive in 2010 due to nagging injuries. While he's spoken recently about wanting to break more receiving records and playing until he's 40, it's pretty rare for a receiver to have a bounce back season once he's older than 35. It's certainly possible, but it's also a good idea for the Packers to have Plan B ready.

WR James Jones. A poll conducted back in March showed that readers don't have a lot of faith in him, and I haven't seen much improvement from him over the past three seasons either. And the stats agree. Some wide receiver needy team might make him a free agent offer the Packers do not want to match, but I think he'll be back on a one-year contract if the team still wants him.

WR Jordy Nelson. The stats I've been looking at were for the regular season, and don't consider the constant target he was during Super Bowl. That might be a sign he'll become a bigger part of the offense in 2011. He still has to prove the coaches he deserves to play ahead of Driver and Jones.

WR Brett Swain. While he's been with the team for three seasons, he wasn't mentioned in any of the stats because he's only had 6 career regular season receptions. If Jones is re-signed, they won't have any room for him on the roster.

TE Jermichael Finley. He's the only tight end capable of ending up as one of their top 3 receivers. He should return healthy in 2011, and if he can play all 16 games in 2011, he should be battling Jennings to become their top receiver.

Due to injuries, the offense leaned heavily on Jennings for most of their production, more so than they had counted on him in 2008 or 2009. It would be better if the offense had more balance, and gave the defense more to worry about. There should be improvement if Finley and Driver return healthy, but they can't count on Jones to emerge as a top receiver. Nelson has had some good seasons, but he hasn't ever been a true No. 2 receiver yet. The offense should be just as good in 2011, but there are some question marks.

Which shows why the 2nd round selection of WR Randall Cobb makes sense. There's no guarantee Cobb will be as good as Jennings, or even emerge as a solid No. 2 WR, but they need to have multiple options and keep the depth strong at receiver.

APC wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
12 years ago
I'll say it once again, I am excited to see what Cobb has to bring to the Packers. When he was drafted, I kept watching videos on him and I think he will make a great addition to the Packers. It also made me feel a little better knowing that James Jones may not be resigned.

Referring to the article, wasn't Jennings playing with nagging injuries last season? I don't think he was 100% healthy...or am I thinking of someone else. I thought he had a thumb/hand injury that he was playing through.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

I'll say it once again, I am excited to see what Cobb has to bring to the Packers. When he was drafted, I kept watching videos on him and I think he will make a great addition to the Packers. It also made me feel a little better knowing that James Jones may not be resigned.

Referring to the article, wasn't Jennings playing with nagging injuries last season? I don't think he was 100% healthy...or am I thinking of someone else. I thought he had a thumb/hand injury that he was playing through.

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

I don't recall injuries to Gregorious. Don't quote me on that though.

I do foresee Ted drafting a WR every year from here on out, regardless of how deep we are. You can never have too many weapons. I think that's why Cobb was drafted. Plus, he's versatile. He might be our return solution for 2011 and 2012 as well as a good #3 WR.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Cheesey
12 years ago
If Jones was consistant at catching the ball, he'd be pretty darn good.
And with a QB like Rodgers, you can never have too many good targets!
Hopefully Cobb will be an excellent addition.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

If Jones was consistant at catching the ball, he'd be pretty darn good.
And with a QB like Rodgers, you can never have too many good targets!
Hopefully Cobb will be an excellent addition.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Yup. This is something we were saying in that other thread. If he was consistent, he'd be one of the better #2 WRs in the NFL instead of an average to good #3 WR.

I do think Cobb will be an excellent addition. He's very dynamic.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
I was thinking of posting this story as well. I was little disappointed in his analysis. He very very briefly talks about 6 of the other receivers and then says that is why they need Cobb. I like the selection of Cobb. I think Mike will do a good job of bringing him along but Brandon of APC doesn't do much of a job of explaining WHY the Packers need Cobb.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
Going back and watching the games from last year, JJ did make quite a few big plays as well as his drops.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
12 years ago

Going back and watching the games from last year, JJ did make quite a few big plays as well as his drops.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yes he did... and the odd thing to me was he seem to make the tougher plays but would drops those when he beat his guy and was wide open.

Some fans have guess it's a vision thing because he couldn't see the ball all the way it because a defender jumped between his eye sight and the ball. But I'm not sure if the defender got in the vision pathway all those times.

I'm thinking it's more knowing the ball is gonna hit him in the hands, and he gets too comfortable thinking it's a done deal and looks up field before he has the ball secured in his hands and has a mental lapse and never gets it secured and it falls to the ground.

Because some of those he clearly beat the coverage and was wide open.
UserPostedImage
12 years ago

Yes he did... and the odd thing to me was he seem to make the tougher plays but would drops those when he beat his guy and was wide open.

Some fans have guess it's a vision thing because he couldn't see the ball all the way it because a defender jumped between his eye sight and the ball. But I'm not sure if the defender got in the vision pathway all those times.

I'm thinking it's more knowing the ball is gonna hit him in the hands, and he gets too comfortable thinking it's a done deal and looks up field before he has the ball secured in his hands and has a mental lapse and never gets it secured and it falls to the ground.

Because some of those he clearly beat the coverage and was wide open.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I think it was JustJeff at packersnews.net who pointed out that a lot of Jones' troubles seem to be with over the shoulder catches that require a completely different hand position than normal catches (index fingers and thumbs touching in a diamond shape). Over the shoulder you end up catching with your thumbs pointing out instead of in.
gbguy20
12 years ago

I was thinking of posting this story as well. I was little disappointed in his analysis. He very very briefly talks about 6 of the other receivers and then says that is why they need Cobb. I like the selection of Cobb. I think Mike will do a good job of bringing him along but Brandon of APC doesn't do much of a job of explaining WHY the Packers need Cobb.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

agreed. this article pretty much brings nothing to the table.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (5h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (9h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (9h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.