beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Story Link 

Desmond Bishop: Making His Mark
June 4th, 2011 | Author: Nathan Jahnke

Part of the reason the Packers were able to win the Super Bowl was their ability to overcome injuries. The Week 1 starters that ended up on injured reserve before the half way point of the season included halfback Ryan Grant, tight end Jermichael Finley, right tackle Mark Tauscher, inside linebacker Nick Barnett, outside linebacker Brad Jones, and strong safety Morgan Burnett.

While the Packers found replacements at each position that allowed them to win, only one replacement, Desmond Bishop, truly showed he could be a star. He’s best known for recovering a Rashard Mendenhall fumble in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl which led to a Packers touchdown and a victory soon after.

Bishop was rewarded with a new contract and a starting job in 2011. Exactly how good is he after just one year as a starter? Only he and James Farrior had ratings above +4.0 in each defensive category: run defense, pass rush, and pass coverage. His play has pushed Nick Barnett to the backup spot heading into 2011, despite Barnett being one of the league’s best inside linebackers in 2009.

Road to Starting

In the sixth round of the 2007 draft, Bishop was drafted to be a backup middle linebacker behind Barnett. In his rookie year, he played in 10 games and made 10 total tackles. In 2008, when Barnett got hurt, A.J. Hawk moved to the middle spot while Brandon Chillar became a starter on the outside rather than Bishop. In Week 14 of that season, though, he got his first start with a sack, two pressures and four stops against the Texans.

The Packers transitioned to a 3-4 defense in 2009, which moved Hawk to start at inside linebacker with Barnett. Chillar also moved to the inside spot to be the top backup. This cut down on Bishop’s playing time, as Chillar would get most of the snaps if either Hawk or Barnett went out. In the 09 season, Bishop finished with just 66 total snaps, but played well in all three aspects of the game.

It looked like Bishop had a chance for more playing time as the 2010 season grew near. Chillar was attempting to play outside linebacker in the preseason, but that experiment didn’t go well and he returned to the inside. Bishop, in turn, landed in the same place on the depth chart as that he filled in 2009. In Week 3, however, Chillar suffered a shoulder injury, and in Week 4 Barnett went down with a season-ending wrist injury. This gave Bishop five snaps in Week 4, and his second career start in Week 5.

Making his Mark

Bishop’s first start of the season came against the Washington Redskins. His overall mark for the day was +7.7; the highest single game grade we’ve given an inside linebacker. Four times Redskin offensive linemen reached the second level attempting to block Bishop, and four times he shed them, registering a tackle for no gain and two tackles for short gains. Bishop also took Ryan Torain down for a loss on a first-quarter play where he went unblocked.

During the game, Bishop rushed Donovan McNabb 17 times. He generated five pressures, a hit and a sack, equating to pressure on 41% of his pass rushes. It’s a small sample size, but that is more than double the rate of the elite pass rushers in the league.

He was thrown at five times, allowed two catches, deflected a pass, and didn’t have a penalty called against him which all added up to a great day.

Typically when a player has an out of this world game, they come back to earth the following week. Bishop didn’t. He followed it up with a +6.3 rating against the Dolphins (the sixth highest rated game an inside linebacker has had in the past three years). The Packers recognized his great play and when Brandon Chillar returned from injury in Week 7, he only took a few passing downs per game from Bishop. It was clearly now Bishop’s starting job.

The Rest of the Season

While Bishop never saw a rating above +4.0 after those two games, he did something that few players have been able to do. In all sixteen of his starts – including the playoffs – he had an overall positive rating and throughout the season, he was a triple threat.

In the run game, he ended with a +13.6 rating, 12th best in the league. He was able to bring pressure on one in every four of his pass rushes, an astounding rate. In coverage, he allowed 63.8% of passes thrown his way to be caught, fourth best for all inside linebackers thrown at 10 times or more. He allowed 9.2 yards per catch which was in the upper half of all inside linebackers. Usually a defender has a low catch rate allowed and high yards per catch or vice versa, but Bishop is a rare case.

While Bishop seemed to decline at the end of the regular season, he picked his game up for the playoffs. In addition to a positive rating in run defense in all four playoff games, Bishop managed to sack Michael Vick, get three pressures on the Bears’ quarterbacks, and his fumble recovery will go down as one of the memorable plays in Super Bowl XLV.

Looking Ahead

A four year contract that came before the lockout means that Bishop will remain one of the Packers’ inside linebackers for years to come. He will be teamed up with Clay Matthews, ether A.J. Hawk or Nick Barnett, and whoever wins the ROLB job as the Packers try to defend their title in 2011.

If Bishop continues his great play, he’l get the recognition he deserves. With Patrick Willis a virtual lock for the Pro Bowl, it’s not out of the question for Bishop to take the other spot.

UserPostedImage
Yerko
12 years ago
Bishop had an amazing season and should easily be named starter over the other MLB's of the Packers. Hopefully his play continues to improve this next season. On another note, with Hawk, Chillar, and Barnett under contract what happens?
Are we going to see the Packers with a rotation between all 4 linebackers?
Can Nick Barnett possibly attempt to give OLB a shot?
Will the Packers try to trade Nick Barnett?
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Bishop had an amazing season and should easily be named starter over the other MLB's of the Packers. Hopefully his play continues to improve this next season. On another note, with Hawk, Chillar, and Barnett under contract what happens?
Are we going to see the Packers with a rotation between all 4 linebackers?
Can Nick Barnett possibly attempt to give OLB a shot?
Will the Packers try to trade Nick Barnett?

Originally Posted by: G-Force 

First off I think the two ILBers positions are slightly different. The one Hawk plays is asked to deal with blockers more often. I haven't seen Barnett or Chillar play the more physical ILB role and nether one is that physical when it comes to dealing with blockers so I don't think they would do well in that role.

And Bishop excelled in the more free ILB role. I think they might mix and match with different packages, but I don't think they'll be rotation in the same package unless someone is getting beat or needs a breather.

Barnett isn't that physical... something coach Greene likes and wants is guys to be able to bull rush. 3-4 OLB is kind of like a 4-3 DE... and has to be physical to stop the run on the edges as well. That's why I like Zombo so much... he's a physical work horse... he wasn't perfect but most rookies aren't. He needs to master more pass rush moves, right now it's just mainly bull rush.

As far as trading Barnett I think a lot depends how they think Barnett can take possible being a back-up and how much other teams offer. If they don't think he can handle being a back-up and being respectful about it, he might be traded.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we just kept them all and let them all compete, as it seems like Thompson doesn't like trading players. And Barnett and Chillar are both coming off injuries, one of them might not make it back to 100%... and they did draft LB Smith who I think is gonna be an ILB.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.