macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=7621§ion_id=40 

by Jason Wilde

GRAND CHUTE, Wis. – Tom Crabtree considers himself an optimist, so the tight end believes that the NFL lockout will be resolved soon, and he and his Green Bay Packers teammates will be back on the practice field when training camp opens on July 30.

On Sunday, he had to settle for a softball diamond.

For the first time since winning Super Bowl XLV, the Packers were back together on a field – despite the NFL’s ongoing labor unrest – playing in veteran wide receiver Donald Driver’s annual charity softball game at Fox Cities Stadium.
“We were all just happy to see each other. It’d been awhile,” Crabtree said. “Nobody – fans, owners, players – nobody wants to see this thing cut into camp time, which could cut into the season. No one wants to see that. I’m hoping it happens soon – just one day, out of the blue, slow news day, there’s a deal. That’s my hopeful outlook.”
Until then, about two dozen Packers players had to settle for the softball game, which marked the first time that many players have been together since the “Return to Titletown” welcome home event following their 31-25 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Feb. 6.

“You can tell how much we miss each other,” Driver said. “We’re throwing the ball around out there like it’s a football. If I had a crystal ball, I could tell you what’s going to happen (with the lockout). No one knows. But we will play football. I know that.”

With the NFL lockout in its third month and wiping out teams’ offseason strength and conditioning programs, organized team activity practices and minicamps, the Packers are among the teams whose players have not gotten together for player-organized workouts during the lockout.

“It was great seeing all the guys again. It’s been a weird offseason, not being around everybody, so it was good getting back out here and just having fun with guys on the team,” said kicker Mason Crosby, one of the Packers’ free agents stuck in limbo while league transactions are stopped. “Seeing everyone out here, it felt like the chemistry is still there. I think we’re still riding off of (last) season. It felt good to get around the guys and get that camaraderie again.”
The event, which former Packers quarterback Brett Favre started before Driver took over as host following Favre’s March 2008 retirement from the team, benefits Donald Driver Foundation, Special Olympics, Goodwill, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin and other local charities. Since Driver took over the event, it has raised more than $450,000 over the last three years, and organizers were hoping to raise $200,000 Sunday, when the event’s first sellout crowd of 8.349 attended.
The Driver-led offense lost to the defense, 18-16, in the seven-inning game despite a pair of home runs by Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers.

“I think guys are getting antsy, but I think they understand that we don’t have control over (the lockout),” running back Ryan Grant said. “What we do have control over is making sure we’re ready to go and working out so that whenever it does get settled, we’ll take care of our business. I know guys are doing their part. It’s a little different for us because nobody really lives around here and we’re all spread out. The guys that I’ve spoken to, I know they’re working.”

While a number of teams’ players around the league have gotten together for workouts, the Packers are not among them. A group of offensive linemen, led by veteran center Scott Wells and veteran left tackle Chad Clifton, got together in Nashville last week, and Crosby and punter Tim Masthay have been working out together at the Green Bay YMCA and a local Gold’s Gym while kicking at St. Norbert College, an NCAA Division III school in the Green Bay suburb of De Pere.
Masthay said that while having no OTAs or minicamp has not been ideal, the team should have enough time to prepare for the season as long as training camp opens on July 30, as scheduled.

“I think if you lost part of training camp, you’d really start feeling like the preparation is less than what you need,” Masthay said. “But at the same time, everyone would be in the same boat, so it’d be a level playing field in that regard.
“That’s what I think is the most difficult thing about it – getting prepared and feeling prepared. That’s why we’ve been working together; that’s why we’ve been trying to keep things fairly similar to what a normal offseason would be like. Obviously you can’t simulate it down to a T, but we’re trying to.”

Rodgers said in a recent radio interview that the players might need to get together if the lockout isn’t resolved soon, and both Grant and safety Nick Collins said it will be Rodgers’ call.

“I know a lot of guys are getting antsy, but we’re professionals. We know what we need to do to stay in shape,” Collins said. “Once we get that call (we’ll) be ready for training camp. ‘A-Rod’ is the leader. If he wants to call and get something going, we’re right there for him. Right now, everybody’s kind of doing what they’ve been doing. It’s been successful for us so we’re going to keep doing what we’re doing.”

Four rookie draft picks – cornerback Davon House, outside linebacker Ricky Elmore, inside linebacker D.J. Smith and tight end D.J. Williams – participated in the game, making their unofficial Packers debuts since the annual post-draft rookie orientation camp was canceled because of the lockout.

“I wish I could stay here for more than just today,” said House, a fourth-round pick. “But as soon as the lockout is over, I'll be here the next flight I can catch.”

Elmore, a sixth-round pick, not only is making the transition from the University of Arizona to the NFL, but he’s also moving from defensive end in a 4-3 to a standup outside linebacker in a 3-4.

“I hope something comes to a conclusion or I can at least be in contact with these coaches so I can at least talk to them and get the basics down so when I walk in here I’m not walking in here not knowing anything,” Elmore said. “If it happens, it happens. If I don’t know anything, I can’t control it. I’m just going to worry about things I can control.”
Elmore said he tried to get his hands on one of defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ complicated playbook, but he can’t afford the fine he’d incur if he kept one.

“No one has ‘em. They said if we keep them, they’re (fined) $16,000,” Elmore said. “I understand why no one keeps them.”
Three players who suffered significant injuries last season participated in the game: Grant, who suffered a season-ending ankle injury but has been 100 percent since late winter; defensive end Mike Neal, who played just two games because of a shoulder injury; and Driver, who missed the second half of Super Bowl XLV with a severe high ankle sprain. Tight end Jermichael Finley, who played just four games before suffering a season-ending knee injury, attended the game but did not participate, while cornerback Charles Woodson, who suffered a broken collarbone in the Super Bowl, was scheduled to attend but was absent.

The next time the players will be together is June 16, when the team will present them with their Super Bowl rings in a private ceremony at Lambeau Field. The team is paying for the airfare of each player plus a guest to bring the full squad together for the event, and the club received special permission from the league to allow players and coaches/administrators to commiserate despite the lockout.

“I call this my second family, and I haven’t seen a lot of these guys since the Super Bowl, so it’s just great to be back around them,” second-year tight end Andrew Quarless said. “You see everybody with smiles from ear-to-ear, because we’re all having fun.”

540ESPNMilwaukee wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.