Rios39
15 years ago

Aaron looks like he has the ability to make plays. Interceptions. Seems like he has ability to jump routes with good anticipation and cover receivers very well.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

That's my main thing. Rouse gets INTs. Collins drops them.

Turnovers change games.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

yeah, but blown assignments change games too. I love Aaron Rouse, but i think the issue with his consistency has much to do with an inability to not give up big plays. Collins isn't flashy, and he does drop interceptions, but you hardly ever see him screw the pooch. I've also heard he's basically the leader on the defense, and that counts for a lot too.

"Rios39" wrote:

I know Collins is solid in coverage usually. I barely remember any time that Rouse has been burned however.
blank
bozz_2006
15 years ago
yeah, but you're not really gonna see a free safety get burned like you do a CB. he doesn't have a man coverage assignment, so he can't really get burned. he can miss an assignment, but that's about it. I think the issue with Rouse is that he is not as adept as Collins is to help in coverage as well as the coaches would like. He is typically behind the point of attack and uses athleticism to make up ground, hence the INT's. I think they want a FS who is better able to offer help and converge on the ball. I think he'll get there, but i don't think he's there yet. It may take him a while, because i don't think he's as smart as Collins. Collins' intelligence is one of the main reasons he's still the starter.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
15 years ago

yeah, but blown assignments change games too. I love Aaron Rouse, but i think the issue with his consistency has much to do with an inability to not give up big plays. Collins isn't flashy, and he does drop interceptions, but you hardly ever see him screw the pooch. I've also heard he's basically the leader on the defense, and that counts for a lot too.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I was under the impression Barnett was the leader on D.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

"bozz_2006" wrote:

From what I've heard, it's Charles Woodson.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

I know Collins is solid in coverage usually. I barely remember any time that Rouse has been burned however.

"Rios39" wrote:

I think it's important to add that Collins is a solid tackler.

Hey may not have the best tackling form, often times choosing to try and tackle players with only his arms, but he is pretty darn effective regardless.

And that's what the coaches are worried about. If I'm not mistaken, DB coach Schotty said Rouse's tackling in space was the problem, something that needed more consistency.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
agopackgo4
15 years ago

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

I think it's important to add that Collins is a solid tackler.

Hey may not have the best tackling form, often times choosing to try and tackle players with only his arms, but he is pretty darn effective regardless.

And that's what the coaches are worried about. If I'm not mistaken, DB coach Schotty said Rouse's tackling in space was the problem, something that needed more consistency.

"Rios39" wrote:

He is a good tackler? Have we been watching the same Nick Collins?
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

Talented Rouse again stuck in logjam at safety
By BOB McGINN

Denver - Barring an injury at safety, Aaron Rouse will have to be content with a second season playing special teams and little else for the Green Bay Packers.[img_r]http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/aug08/aaron21.jpg[/img_r]

Despite having more reliable hands and better production as an interceptor than Nick Collins, itll be Rouse on the bench, Collins at free safety and Atari Bigby at strong safety in 2008, just as it was in 2007.

Kurt Schottenheimer, the clubs third-year secondary coach, said at midweek that the staff saw no reason to make a change.

Were very pleased with where Nick and Atari are, Schottenheimer said. Nick Collins, in particular, has been very, very good. But we recognize the fact that Aaron Rouse has the physical tools to be competitive against those guys.

Rouse knew the score from the beginning of camp when the Collins-Bigby tandem began receiving almost every snap with the No. 1 defense.

I havent had that many reps with the 1s, Rouse said. You know, fighting for a starting job, man, Ive been with the 2s.

Its not an easy thing to do, to kind of sit back and let somebody else be in the drivers seat. But as long as were heading in the right direction, then its OK. As far as being one of those players that causes turmoil or stirs up things, thats just not me. When they need me, Ill be there and will make the most of it.

Coach Mike McCarthy offered the best explanation for the decision, saying Wednesday, Aaron, his consistency level early in camp wasnt where it needed to be. I think hes definitely picked it up probably the last week to 10 days.

There has been a fascination with Rouse since the Packers drafted him in the third round a year ago. Standing 6 feet 4 inches, weighing 225 pounds and able to run 40 yards in 4.57 seconds, Rouse would be the model for an artist looking to draw the prototypical safety.

In the last 20 years, only three other drafted safeties stood 6-4 or taller. They were Steve Hawkins (6-5, 210), sixth round by New England in 1994; Scott Shields (6-4, 232), second round by Pittsburgh in 99; and Pat Watkins (6-4, 209), fifth round by Dallas in 06.

Hawkins lasted one season. Shields started one game in four years. And Watkins remains a backup in Dallas.

Two big safeties, Seattles Ken Easley (6-3, 206) and Denvers Steve Atwater (6-3, 212), had fabulous careers. David Fulcher (6-3, 228) made the Pro Bowl three times for Cincinnati.

Fulcher, who lacked speed to cover, might not have been able to survive today given the proliferation of spread offenses. Rouse, however, is far from a liability in either man-to-man or zone coverage. The Packers like his length matching up against tight ends.

If Rouse does have shortcomings, they would be open-field tackling and running a secondary.

In San Francisco, Rouse walked up to a position directly on the line of scrimmage and made three solid tackles. Rouse has more than enough upper-body strength but, since hes cut so high, the coaches would like him to develop a stronger base.

When Rouse isnt in the box, the angles that he takes to the player with the ball need improvement. Collins (5-11) and Bigby (5-10) are regarded as more dependable open-field tacklers.

Wide receiver Jason Hill gained 14 yards on a reverse Saturday night when five Packers missed the tackle. Rouse, the third of the five, had Hill dead against the sideline but missed.

Hell, hes got to go in there and blow his (expletive) up, Schottenheimer said. You got leverage, position, people all around to help. But he got a little lazy in his technique. He got a little straight-legged and he got high and the guy cut back on him.

The Packers dont have one of those cerebral-type safeties such as Eugene Robinson to direct traffic. But Collins is capable of making more checks than Bigby or Rouse, who allowed that becoming even more fluent in the defense is his primary focus.

Against the 49ers, Schottenheimer said Rouse made a few errors in adjustments that the coaches didnt expect to happen.

He is trying to make plays, Schottenheimer said. Theres times when theres an opportunity for you to go make a play and theres other times where your responsibility may have to take precedent over those kinds of things. Weve got to make sure we defend our area. Im not saying Aarons been out of place on some of the turnovers hes made.

Forcing turnovers is the pre-eminent objective of every defense, however, and again this summer Rouse has been a ball magnet.

He has a team-high seven interceptions in camp, one more than Charles Woodson, besides getting one of the Packers two in the exhibition season on a sensational play against Cincinnati. Last year, he had two interceptions in 326 snaps, compared with none for Collins in 724 and five for Bigby in 998.

I feel like Im a big-time playmaker, said Rouse, who had a modest five interceptions in 52 games at Virginia Tech. Ive made a lot of plays out there that basically proved my case. Im the type of player thats going to change the game around.

What has held Rouse back most this summer, according to Schottenheimer, is missing four practices Aug. 6-8 with a hip injury. Collins and Bigby havent missed any time.

Yeah, I think the guys that are there, Collins and Bigby, are our guys, Woodson said. One thing about him (Rouse) he has pretty good instincts. Theres some different things he has to work on as far as recognizing the whole game and not getting focused on one thing.

Woodson added that there aint no doubt Rouse would one day be a starter.

Yet, Rouse knows that Collins, 25, is only five months older than him, and that Bigby is just 26. Collins and Bigby have positioned themselves for long-term contracts and Rouse, who wont become an unrestricted free agent until March 2011, acknowledges wondering if he has a future in Green Bay.

I want to be a Green Bay Packer, Rouse said. I want to be around for a very long time. But all I can do is control my play and hope my skills are getting noticed out there.

The more I see this kid and hear his stuff, the more I like him.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
15 years ago

He is a good tackler? Have we been watching the same Nick Collins?

"agopackgo4" wrote:

Not too many people break tackles that Collins is in on.

He may not be textboox in terms of form, but he's a pretty solid tackler. I don't remember a whole lot of times where I've said/thought "Damn Nick, TACKLE the guy better".
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Zero - Thanks for posting.

I disagree with McGinn. I seriously doubt Collins will be starting on week 9. Week 1, yes. But Rouse is a potential playmaker, Collins is not.

Collins is a good Safety. He's consistent. But Rouse will pass him up in abilities. With good coaching, Rouse can be a monster.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

"zombieslayer" wrote:

From what I've heard, it's Charles Woodson.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

HA, I knew I wasn't going crazy and this was just recently discussed! 🙂
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.