nerdmann
13 years ago
http://www.totalpackers.com/2011/05/10/veteran-packers-who-should-be-worried/ 

The NFL Draft changes the face of every teams roster and the Green Bay Packers are no exception, even though theyre the reigning Super Bowl champs.

Several veterans will go into training camp to fight for a roster spot, while others will simply be let go during free agency. Heres a look at which players from the 2010 Packers roster are most affected by the latest Packers draft class.

James Jones and Brett Swain
Although they havent stated it publicly, the Packers may already have decided not to re-sign Jones if hes an unrestricted free agent. If Jones is a restricted free agent, which seems more likely, the team almost certainly would not match a big-money offer. Should the Packers re-sign Jones at a reasonable salary, then Swain suddenly looks like the odd man out. The Packers need room for second-round pick Randall Cobb and the team hasnt kept more than five receivers on the roster since 2007. With Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and Cobb occupying roster spots, that leaves one spot for Jones or Swain. Free agency might answer the question for us and it might not. If theres a ray of hope for another receiver, its this. The last time the Packers kept six receivers, one of them was Koren Robinson, who was the teams primary kick returner. Cobb is expected to fill that role this season.

Brandon Jackson, Dmitri Nance, John Kuhn and Korey Hall
Somethings got to give at running back. The Packers added third-round pick Alex Green to the tandem of Ryan Grant and James Starks. That could spell the end of the line for Brandon Jackson, who like Jones, has four NFL years under his belt and will be a free agent of some sort when the collective bargaining agreement gets figured out. The little-used Nance, who the Packers picked up off Atlantas practice squad last season, faces an uphill climb to make the roster regardless of what happens with Jackson. That brings us to two heads of the three-headed fullback monster. Kuhn will likely be an unrestricted free agent and while he expects to be back with the Packers, theres no guarantee that will happen, especially with Greens addition. Hall, whos also a free agent with four years of service, was primarily a special teams player last season. Whether thats good enough to keep him on the roster instead of a fourth running back, if the Packers re-sign him, remains to be seen. H-back Ryan Taylor, who the Packers drafted in the seventh round, seems more likely to end up on the practice squad than the active roster, but his presence illustrates just how crowded the Packers backfield is.

Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee
The addition of Davon House in the fourth round will likely spell the end for one of these defensive backs. Lee simply hasnt lived up to expectations as a former second-round pick. Underwood, meanwhile, fell off the map after starting training camp strong, last year. He was eventually moved to safety. The Packers top three corners are set with Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams and Sam Shields. Jarrett Bush played well last season as a dime back. Unless Bush regresses, Lee will have a hard time making the roster. And if Underwood doesnt show something as a safety, hes probably on his way out, too.

Tom Crabtree, Spencer Havner and Andrew Quarless
The Packers have one lock at tight end Jermichael Finley. After that, what happens is anyones guess. The team drafted Arkansas tight end D.J. Williams, the 2010 Mackey winner, in the fifth round. While the Packers have shown a willingness to keep three tight ends on the roster in the past, two among this trio Crabtree, Havner and Quarless will still find themselves looking for a job after training camp. Havner, who was cut during training camp last year, seems as good as gone. That leaves Quarless and Crabtree battling for one spot.

Its already shaping up as an interesting training camp. Lets hope there is one.

"TP" wrote:

No way they ditch Quarless. I think they keep Crabtree too, as a FB/H-Back. Him and Kuhn will be the "fullbacks."
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
13 years ago
I can't picture them getting rid of Kuhn.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

zombieslayer
13 years ago
After keeping Swain despite the injury problems, they must think that Swain has something long-term to offer. It's kind of like that one year they cut every single WR except for Donald Driver. Driver turned out to be a big winner.

I think Nance is gone.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
13 years ago
James Jones is an interesting one. If the league operates with 2010 free agency rules, Jones will be back. You cannot let him just walk. Maybe the Packers trade him somewhere, but they will not outright cut him.

I don't think he gets a big money offer from someone. I'm not sure what tender the Packers gave him, but most likely, someone would have to give up a third round pick. Considering that teams are going to be more conservative because of the lack of OTAs and minicamps, Jones very well could be back.
13 years ago
I love Ted Thompson's style. The draft is about all roster spots not just starters. Competition keeps a lot of players hungry and motivated.

They did not mention the O-line.

Clifton can be dumped if he gets injured before the start of the season.
Tauscher has a high salary to play up to or he is gone.
Bulaga is looking over his shoulder at Sherrod
Sherrod has to prove himself

Lang and others want to get to Tackle where the bigger money is. They know that only 8 or 9 O-linemen make the team. With the 4 tackles above plus Sitton and Wells at least 6 spots are already taken. They are fighting for 2 spots.

In that environment can Colledge or Spitz make outragious contract demands? NO!! Competition keeps labor costs down.

As a Green Bay Packer, your job is always a competition, unless you are Aaron Rodgers.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I really like Matt's reasoning in his above post. He almost has me convinced that James Jones will be donning a Packers jersey this year.
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
They won't cut Jones. They tendered him. If someone signs him, we get a draft pick in compensation. If not, we keep him and let Swain and Cobb fight over the last WR spot.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
doddpower
13 years ago

They won't cut Jones. They tendered him. If someone signs him, we get a draft pick in compensation. If not, we keep him and let Swain and Cobb fight over the last WR spot.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

So we're only going to keep 4 WR's if Jones leaves?
Tezzy
13 years ago

"doddpower" wrote:

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

If Jones is gone then Swain and Cobb wouldn't need to compete, they'd both be in.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Dulak
13 years ago

"Tezzy" wrote:

"doddpower" wrote:

If Jones is gone then Swain and Cobb wouldn't need to compete, they'd both be in.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

cough - get swain out and keep jones ...
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (11h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (11h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (11h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (12h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (12h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (14h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (19h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (19h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.