wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Minneapolis hopes to keep Vikings 

I think they should put on that toxic dump in St Paul. Instead of the toxic Dumpty Dome. It would be fitting.

Officials in Minneapolis have come up with a proposal to keep the Minnesota Vikings downtown, floating an offer to pay more than 20 percent of the cost of a new stadium.

Mayor R.T. Rybak and city council president Barb Johnson planned a Monday afternoon news conference to release their proposal for building a new stadium at the current Metrodome site. Elected officials in neighboring Ramsey County are pushing a site north of St. Paul.

A person with direct knowledge of the Minneapolis proposal said the city will offer to pay a little over 20 percent of construction costs now estimated to reach about $900 million with a mix of new and existing city sales taxes. The proposal will also include money to renovate Target Center, where the NBA's Timberwolves play.

The team and the state of Minnesota would pay the rest of the cost, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the proposal had not yet been announced.

The Vikings have been seeking a new stadium for years, calling the Metrodome no longer sufficiently profitable to the team. The prospective sites were winnowed to two last week, after the Hennepin County Board chairman said he'd no longer pursue a site near the Minnesota Twins' Target Field.

Vikings spokesman Lester Bagley said the team was not involved in the development of the Minneapolis offer and wouldn't comment until details are released.

State lawmakers have introduced a bill calling for the state to pay about a third of construction costs with the money raised through a 10 percent state sales tax on sports memorabilia, a sales tax on luxury seats at the new stadium and on digital video recorders, and proceeds from stadium naming rights and a football-themed state lottery game.

The team would pay the other third plus cost overruns, though Gov. Mark Dayton and others have suggested the team's share should be higher.

Ramsey County officials have been pushing the Arden Hills site, a former Army ammunition plant that would offer the team the opportunity to surround the stadium with a retail, restaurant and hotel complex. But that site carries larger costs associated with cleaning up contamination and fixing up roads and infrastructure.

With two weeks left in the state's legislative session, stadium supporters have been urging the Vikings to pick its local partner for any chance of getting legislative approval this year.

"The sooner they choose the better," said Ted Mondale, Dayton's point man on the stadium push.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
IMO.. a move out into the Burbs might be the best thing overall from fan experience to overall project cost in which a portion is passed along to the tax paying public.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

IMO.. a move out into the Burbs might be the best thing overall from fan experience to overall project cost in which a portion is passed along to the tax paying public.

"Pack93z" wrote:

Arden Hills would qualify. It is a burb north of St Paul along 35W and just a little north of 694.
I get a little chuckle out of the thought that the Packers are adding on to their stadium without sticking their hand in the [strike]pants[/strike] pocket of the local tax payers while the Vikings are sitting around pouting waiting for the MN government to hand out a huge entitlement check to them. Granted there is a big difference between adding 7500 seats to an existing stadium and digging a hole in the ground and starting over.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
From what I heard today (just a tiny snippet) was the recent proposal by the officials in Minneapolis was the team pays 45% of the stadium, and the rest is split between the state and the county. Those taxes come from various taxes already in effect that would just transfer the funds to the stadium pool and a slight increase in county taxes in Hennepin county.

After I heard parts of that, I heard a snippet of Lester Bagely's (Vikes spokesguy) interview on his thoughts, and he said that the Vikings were not contacted by Minneapolis officials about the funding, and without actually saying it, implied that they (the Vikings) were not interested in paying that much.

In short, the MN legislature/Minneapolis officials are finally giving the Vikings time of day and the big wigs in control of the Vikings are pissing and moaning about the deals. Why am I not surprised?

Meanwhile, us fans are getting pissed and shit on. If there's an NFL season this year, I hope Viking fans show the organization 'rulers' just how much they rely on our money by not renewing season tickets, and no showing up on Sundays.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Pack93z
13 years ago
I have the solution.. just recap the "dump" fitting since most of the time it is half filled with Cheeseheads during the Vikes games. 🙂
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
13 years ago

In short, the MN legislature/Minneapolis officials are finally giving the Vikings time of day and the big wigs in control of the Vikings are pissing and moaning about the deals. Why am I not surprised?

Meanwhile, us fans are getting pissed and shit on. If there's an NFL season this year, I hope Viking fans show the organization 'rulers' just how much they rely on our money by not renewing season tickets, and no showing up on Sundays.

"Formo" wrote:

Of course Trust Fund Zygi doesn't give a shit about you or any other fan of the Vikings. Did you really think he did? And you right wingers rip me an ass every time I explain my hatred of these types of people. Now, Donald Trump is being consider for president - in what fucking universe does that make any sense?

The good news is that you guys look as if you'll get your stadium in Ramsey Co - but it's coming out of your asses not Zygis. I'm happy for you Formo.
UserPostedImage
Packerchick
13 years ago

I have the solution.. just recap the "dump" fitting since most of the time it is half filled with Cheeseheads during the Vikes games. :)

"Pack93z" wrote:

A ton of applause for you.
I am a woman and I love football.
macbob
13 years ago
lol Pack93z...

Arden Hills: A fun but expensive proposal

By Kevin Seifert

The Minnesota Vikings have entered into what amounts to a 13-day agreement with Ramsey County to build a new stadium, one that requires near-immediate action from the state legislature to approve a $1.057 billion proposal before it adjourns May 23. If not, all bets are off about the future of this project.

That's the upshot of a news conference Tuesday to announce the Vikings' long-awaited site selection. It's a 260-acre plot in suburban Arden Hills, about 10 miles north of both Minneapolis and St. Paul, near the former Twin Cities Army Ammunitions Plant that has been abandoned for decades. The proposed stadium would have 65,000 seats, a retractable roof and room for 21,000 parking spaces. It would be publicly owned but privately operated by the Vikings.

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf called Arden Hills "an ideal site" but admitted it was chosen, in part, because two other targeted sites offered minimal interest. The Farmers Market site near Target Field was a non-starter because its ruling government body, Hennepin County, bowed out of the running. And it's clear the Vikings didn't take seriously a frantic proposal from the city of Minneapolis to rebuild the Metrodome site.

But if the Vikings and Ramsey County leaders are unable to win legislative approval before May 23, there would be nothing binding either side to the agreement moving forward. Asked several times about the issue, neither Wilf nor Ramsey County commissioner Tony Bennett would offer a commitment beyond this month. Their non-answers at least opened the possibility for a new bidding process this fall or next winter.

I give the Vikings credit for putting forward an exciting, if expensive, proposal, one that had former coach Bud Grant proclaiming that he was ready to "bring on Green Bay." Tailgating and the potential for outdoor football, with a choice of closing the roof when necessary, sounds like a win-win to me.

But I don't think anyone has a feel for whether the proposal will be taken seriously by a state legislature that continues to wrestle over state budget overruns, especially a proposal that is at least $150 million more expensive than one introduced a day earlier. A few additional points along those lines:
The retractable roof wasn't the only surprise. The Vikings' offer of $407 million was nearly double what they have previously committed to stadium projects.
According to a news release, Ramsey County would raise $350 million through a 0.5 percent sales tax. Bennett said he had the votes to pass the tax on his county board.
The state of Minnesota would contribute $300 million through user-fee taxes.
There is some disagreement, or at least negotiating room, on the cost and necessity of road improvements to access the site. Gov. Mark Dayton estimated the road costs at $175 million to $240 million. Bennett said the work can be done for much less and offered to underwrite a 20-year loan to the state that would require $7 million annual payments, including interest. Combine the stadium cost with infrastructure and roads, and you're exceeding $1.2 billion.
There was no mention of an NFL contribution toward the $407 million the Vikings committed. We've discussed the NFL's exhausted G-3 program. I'll endeavor to find out if the Vikings are including an estimated payment from a replenished G-3 as part of their contribution.

I know some of you think I'm a bah-humbug stadium observer, but I've been watching this roller coaster for almost 12 years. I cringed Tuesday afternoon while reading celebratory tweets from fans who believe this issue is solved. At best, the Vikings are at halftime.

Selecting a site and proposing a financing plan are fundamental building blocks, not finishing touches. Much of this discussion will be wasted breath unless the Minnesota state legislature jumps on board. We'll know in 13 days.

ESPN NFC North Blog wrote:

UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago

I have the solution.. just recap the "dump" fitting since most of the time it is half filled with Cheeseheads during the Vikes games. :)

"Pack93z" wrote:

If that were true (and we both know it's not), that would just go to show you how starved for a truthful team and fanbase you Puker fans are.

But since the dump is only half filled with cheeseheads for one game a year, your proposal sucks. 😛
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

If that were true (and we both know it's not), that would just go to show you how starved for a truthful team and fanbase you Puker fans are.

"Formo" wrote:

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.