nerdmann
13 years ago
Nice to see PU posting again. He must be on spring break! Anyway, I agree with his assessment here. Grant has to beat out Nance to be the backup, imo. That's what the competition will be. I love Grant, but Starks can run rings around him.

James Starks should be the Packers primary running back when the regular season opens on Sept. 8. This statement shouldnt be taken as a knock against Ryan Grant. Rushing for over 1,200 yards in back-to-back years is nothing to sneeze at. But after re-watching all four postseason games, its my opinion that the second-year player from Buffalo is simply too talented to be used in a supporting role.

Starks carried the ball 81 times in the playoffs, and he made more people miss in those four games than Grant has made miss in four seasons (this is a slight exaggeration, but you get the point). He also showed good feet and enough competitive speed to get outside and to accelerate when he broke through the line. In short, theres very little Starks cant do as a pure runner.

He needs to improve his vision, but that should come with experience. Its important to remember that he missed his entire senior year with a shoulder injury and then spent all of training camp and the first three months of his rookie season on the PUP list with a strained hamstring.

The best thing about Starks is that hes more than just a gifted runner. He wasnt used very often in the passing game last season, but he showed good hands in college. And while his pass blocking paled in comparison to the brilliant work done by free-agent-to-be Brandon Jackson, he hardly embarrassed when asked to protect star quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Can he develop into a good enough blocker to play on the majority of third downs? Maybe, but if not, the Packers always have reliable John Kuhn to stick in there.

As far as Grant is concerned, the Packers should keep him around even at his hefty salary. If healthy, hell provide quality depth at a position that requires quality depth. And considering how high Starks tends to run, the odds of him starting all 16 games arent great. Will Grant be happy as a highly paid insurance policy? Of course not, but hes a high-character person who wont cause trouble. Plus, coach Mike McCarthy is adept at keeping all of his players involved, so hed never let Grant rot away on the bench.

One scout called Starks a poor mans Adrian Peterson. I know where hes coming from, but I wouldnt dare compare the two players in any way. Peterson is a special talent who could wind up in Canton some day. Starks will only get to the Hall of Fame by purchasing a ticket. Hes not special, but he has a chance to be very good. And very good is all this offense needs at the position. So whats the only thing that should keep Starks from ascending to the starting job? Drafting Mark Ingram. But thats an unlikely story for another day.

"PU" wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
millertime
13 years ago
It's funny how we can have one RB that's overrated, and one RB that's underrated.

I'll let you guess which is which...

:microwave:
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
AP will be the new Barry Sanders. Waste of a great running back.

I would think Grant starts the year as number 1. Even if they put Starks at number one, I would expect a fairly even split in carries. The ball going to whoever is hot at the time.

I don't think they are going to have Nance in the mix.

I also think Jackson is one of the best 3rd down backs in the league at blocking and receiving. I would be surprised if they let him go without an offer.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
coltonja
13 years ago

Grant has to beat out Nance to be the backup, imo. That's what the competition will be.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Oh wow. Hilarious. Anyway, Starks could start and do a good job no doubt. If Grant is healthy and running like he used to I'd be more than happy with him taking the bulk of carries. I agree with Dexter that splitting the carries is the best choice. If anything it will show who the better runner is early. I have a feeling Grant will be coming out strong though.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
nerdmann
13 years ago
Grant is no slouch. Between the tackles, he can get it done. Just don't expect him to see holes, be able to cut, catch the ball or get around the corner. Nance doesn't necessarily have Grant's power, but he can see the field, has quick feet and (gasp!) can CATCH the ball.
Nance has to prove himself, but I think he's got a chance. There's a reason Ted Thompson had his eye on him.
Man if this team could run SCREENS effectively...
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Tezzy
13 years ago
Are you as sure about this as you were about BJack being better than Grant? I haven't had a chance to get out to the practice field to see the two of them compete yet, so if you could post the video that would be great. I will wait until I actually see some cleats on the grass and then I'll pass judgement.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
nerdmann
13 years ago

Are you as sure about this as you were about BJack being better than Grant? I haven't had a chance to get out to the practice field to see the two of them compete yet, so if you could post the video that would be great. I will wait until I actually see some cleats on the grass and then I'll pass judgement.

"Tezzy" wrote:

Grant never had to split carries with Kuhn in order to be available for third down duty. Not so sure he's a good match for the zBS either.
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
Nance had a 2.6 yards per last year, ouch.

Grant was off to a great start at 5.6 before he got hurt. Career he is 4.4 per.

Starks had a 3.5 in the reg season and 3.9 in the post.

Grant might be a little better than Nance.

Even Jackson managed to average 3.7 in the reg and 4.7 in the post.

Now, why should we keep Nance?
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
nerdmann
13 years ago

Nance had a 2.6 yards per last year, ouch.

Grant was off to a great start at 5.6 before he got hurt. Career he is 4.4 per.

Starks had a 3.5 in the reg season and 3.9 in the post.

Grant might be a little better than Nance.

Even Jackson managed to average 3.7 in the reg and 4.7 in the post.

Now, why should we keep Nance?

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

Because he can also catch the ball? He's quicker, can cut, has vision.
Nance was a rookie who was picked up in the middle of the season. Once he has been in the system for a year and knows the playbook, he might look a little better. Not to mention having a year under his belt in the league.
BTW, Jackson had an additional 350 yards receiving last year, bringing his all purpose total to over 1000 yards. This also after splitting time with Kuhn so as to reserve his status as the "third down" pass pro guy. Not to mention Jackson also gave way toward the end of the season for Starks.
Grant has never had more than 200 yards receiving in any season. And has never had to stand down to reserve himself for pass pro on third down.
earthquake
13 years ago
I think its very possible that, if the lockout goes on for an extended period of time, Starks WILL start due to Grant's injury situation and the fact that Starks finished up the season as the starter. If GB doesn't get any chance to work Grant back in, I see it tough for him to be the opening day starter.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.