zombieslayer
13 years ago
I'm with get_louder here. Not at all anti-Finley, but Mike McCarthy consistently talks about "availability and accountability." He's serious about that. Finley's a beast. Not arguing that. Best TE in the NFL? Potentially. Injury prone? Look at his past.

IF he finishes 2011 with top 3 TE numbers, sign him long term. If he plays 5 games and gets hurt again....

Everyone knows I'm pro-pass. I'm also a realist and try not to see things with Green & Gold lenses. We all know Finley has potential. He just hasn't lived up to it yet. I'd be weary about making him the highest paid TE in the NFL if he doesn't complete a full season.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
doddpower
13 years ago

I'd be weary about making him the highest paid TE in the NFL if he doesn't complete a full season.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Don't worry, if he doesn't, it won't happen! Ted's smarter than that. Let's hope it does though! I'm OK with him missing a game or two for minor injuries, but that's about it.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Don't worry, if he doesn't, it won't happen! Ted's smarter than that. Let's hope it does though! I'm OK with him missing a game or two for minor injuries, but that's about it.

"doddpower" wrote:

If JerMichael Finley starts in 12-14 games, I'd consider that good. I don't think many TE's start/play in the full 16 games too often. I haven't researched this, so could be ass wrong.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago
Am I missing something or has this guy been hurt once and that was a fluke when he was trying to tackle somebody after a fumble?

It was unfortunate but he can hardly be called injury prone.

Looking at past numbers on Finley is a useless venture. They don't mean anything. What means something is the fact all the teams out there recognize the talent this guy has and the fact he is young and his best days are ahead of him. So if he's healthy this year and puts up the numbers NOBODY is going to look at his agent and say "well, he only caught 30 some passes a year before this." His agent will laugh in their face and say "fine....next?" And there will be a "next" team and that's all that really counts.

So obviously I am with Greg C on this one.
"The train is leaving the station."
earthquake
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

If JerMichael Finley starts in 12-14 games, I'd consider that good. I don't think many TE's start/play in the full 16 games too often. I haven't researched this, so could be ass wrong.

"doddpower" wrote:

Tony Gonzalez has missed 2 games since 1998, I'm not trying to call you out here, but just find this very interesting. I would have assumed it would be a lot more. I think its pretty relevant because Finley compares well to Gonzo, that tall WR type TE that gets a lot of catches.

I think if Finley wants to be the highest paid TE in the league, he needs to start acting like it, and that means starting in every/most game this year.

However, I actually wouldn't say he is particularly injury prone, if memory serves me correctly he was very raw in 2008, he didn't start early in 2009 not because of injuries, but immaturity. And he was hurt on a fluke play in 2010. The Justin Harrel comparisons are a little silly at this point.
blank
doddpower
13 years ago

"earthquake" wrote:

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Tony Gonzalez has missed 2 games since 1998, I'm not trying to call you out here, but just find this very interesting. I would have assumed it would be a lot more. I think its pretty relevant because Finley compares well to Gonzo, that tall WR type TE that gets a lot of catches.

I think if Finley wants to be the highest paid TE in the league, he needs to start acting like it, and that means starting in every/most game this year.

However, I actually wouldn't say he is particularly injury prone, if memory serves me correctly he was very raw in 2008, he didn't start early in 2009 not because of injuries, but immaturity. And he was hurt on a fluke play in 2010. The Justin Harrel comparisons are a little silly at this point.

"doddpower" wrote:

As I said, being healthy a majority of the season will alleviate most these concerns. However, just because some other GM would be willing to throw a big contract at the guy just based on talent doesn't mean anything to me. That happens all the time. The main point is availability, regardless of how the injuries happen (fluke or not). In an ideal world, yes, we would keep him even if he only plays a few games this season based on his potential. But, some team out there will be willing to pay him top dollar more than likely. The Packers have several players that could use a new contract soon and there's only so much money to go around, especially if a cap system comes back. It then becomes a matter of trying to find a way to pay everyone, or choosing who to let go. I'm not saying it should be Finley, but a strong case could be made against him if he misses significant time next season. Obviously stats don't tell the whole story, but production is generally what earns big contracts (with the exception of rookies, but hopefully that will be changing soon). If I was a GM, which obviously I'm not, I'd want to see significant production out of Finley this season to match some of the offers he's bound to receive.
13 years ago

Am I missing something or has this guy been hurt once and that was a fluke when he was trying to tackle somebody after a fumble?

It was unfortunate but he can hardly be called injury prone.

Looking at past numbers on Finley is a useless venture. They don't mean anything. What means something is the fact all the teams out there recognize the talent this guy has and the fact he is young and his best days are ahead of him. So if he's healthy this year and puts up the numbers NOBODY is going to look at his agent and say "well, he only caught 30 some passes a year before this." His agent will laugh in their face and say "fine....next?" And there will be a "next" team and that's all that really counts.

So obviously I am with Greg C on this one.

"warhawk" wrote:

If. Exactly. If.

What IF he doesn't? The whole thing I've been saying is that he hasn't done it yet. Why are so many people having trouble understanding such a simple concept? You just pretend the 2011 season already happened and Finely had a productive, healthy year, then argue based on that prediction like it it's a given. It's not a given, as last year illustrated. He was supposed to do that last year. It didn't happen.

You say it's a "fact that his best days are ahead of him". They probably are, but you can't call a prediction a fact. It seemed to be a fact after 2004 that Javon Walker's best days were ahead of him too. Walker had at that point shown much more than Finley has at this point. Five years and tens of millions of dollars of wasted money later, Walker has only had one more decent year and his career is likely over. Things don't always work out the way we predict that they will. Predictions are not facts, by definition.

Finley has shown some great spurts of the ability to be a dominant pass catching TE. Then he tore his meniscus. Not his fault, but it happened. Then he had knee surgery. Then he had an emergency second surgery for a staph infection in that knee. Again, not his fault, but part of the reality of the situation as it stands. He is coming off a knee surgery with complications.

And yes, you are missing something- He hasn't just been hurt once. He sprained his left knee in 2009, missing basically 4 games, and tore the meniscus in his right knee in 2010, missing 16 more including the postseason. Hopefully it's coincidental, and not a sign of things to come that he has had two knee injuries in the last two years. (Knocking on wood.)

Finely looks like he is uncoverable at times when healthy. That's why he gets talked about in the same conversation as Antonio Gates and Jason Witten. He has yet to put a full season together that comes anywhere close to their elite production, but he has had games, and stretches of games, that would rival any TE as far as production as a receiver.

He has also shown his immaturity and lack of professionalism more than once, from saying his QB should be using him better, to chronically missing meetings, to breaking curfew before a playoff game, to his public whining about the Super Bowl photo on twitter.

Moral of the story to me is that the future of Jermichael Finley is unwritten. Hopefully he comes back from his knee surgeries stronger than ever, and the injuries end up being nothing more than a footnote of his early career. Hopefully his immaturity fades and he grows into one of the best receiving TEs ever to play the game. Hopefully it happens sooner than later. Hopefully it has already started, and he goes on to have a great career as a Packer.

All I'm saying is that it hasn't happened yet. Simple stuff. I'd love to see him locked up to a long term contract just like everyone else, despite the misguided belief some of you seem to have gotten from my posts. I would just like to see him have an elite season, or a stretch longer than 7 games anyway, of actual elite production before they pay him elite money. Especially considering his well documented and admitted problems with immaturity. Throw big money at immature people and bad things often happen.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

I'd be weary about making him the highest paid TE in the NFL if he doesn't complete a full season.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I am sorry that making Finley the highest-paid TE in the league would tire you out. I personally would just be wary of doing such a thing. 😉
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I am sorry that making Finley the highest-paid TE in the league would tire you out. I personally would just be wary of doing such a thing. ;)

"zombieslayer" wrote:

UserPostedImage

Edit, you fixed it in the three seconds it took me to find the graphic and respond. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I am sorry that making Finley the highest-paid TE in the league would tire you out. I personally would just be wary of doing such a thing. ;)

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I thought only his wife and Simone Simons were capable of tiring zombieslayer out?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.