Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/22/lovie-smith-why-question-cutler-but-not-woodson-and-driver/ 

When Bears quarterback Jay Cutler left the NFC Championship Game after suffering a knee injury, he was widely criticized. Two weeks later, when Packers cornerback Charles Woodson and receiver Donald Driver left the Super Bowl with injuries, no one criticized them.

Bears coach Lovie Smith doesnt get that.

[Woodson] walked off, and he was standing on the sideline, Smith said today, per Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times. Donald Driver walked off, and he stood on the sideline. But were not questioning them. I never question them. Totally off base for that to happen.

Smith says he thinks that if anything, the conversation in the football world after the NFC Championship Game should have centered on Cutlers attempt to keep playing for one more series after suffering his knee injury.

To me the story should have been, how tough a player Jay Cutler really is, Smith said. He was hurt, but he just wouldnt take that. He still tried to go back out there and help his team win.

And Smith wasnt happy that FOX, which broadcast the game, repeatedly put the cameras on Cutler.

To me, for the network, to choose those pictures, its wrong too, Smith said. On the sideline, you can portray a player whatever way you like. You can look at any player thats injured.

Overall, Smith is getting sick of the Cutler questions.

Thats an insult, almost to the point where Im tired of talking about, Smith said. Theres nothing to the story. For people to search for stuff like that; shame on them.

"Michael David Smith" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Woodson was in a sling.
Driver was in a cast.

Was Cutler? I don't remember.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
13 years ago
do they have slings/casts for immediately after a knee ligament is strained?
bozz_2006
13 years ago
I don't question his toughness, not even during the game. He was hurt and they said he couldn't play. He convinced them to let him give it a go. He continued to play poorly and they yanked him. My criticism of Cutler has everything to do with him sulking on the sidelines. Hurt or not, you're still supposed to be the team leader. His poor play hurt them when he was on the field, and his sour puss act on the sideline sure didn't help things either. When you're hurt, you then become a cheerleader. That's the way it's supposed to work. He didn't do that. No sympathy here, Lovie.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
13 years ago
If i was playing in the NFC title game I wouldn't need a cheerleader.
doddpower
13 years ago
At least Woodson had a broken bone, correct? I don't think there's much to "tough out" when that's the case.
bozz_2006
13 years ago

"gbguy20" wrote:

Well bully for you. Being part of a team means supporting the guys who are on the field, especially if you are the starter in the most visible position on the team.
UserPostedImage
Kingkoopa
13 years ago
Here is the difference Lovie. Woodson hurts his collarbone, knows its broken and he can't play, yet the very next play he lines up to give the team his all. When he finds out at halftime it is indeed broken he cries and is so emotional he can't even address the team.

He comes out the entire second half and tries to lead the defense from the sideline. He spurs on the players despite obvious physical pain and does whatever he can to help lead the team to victory.

Driver does pretty much the exact same thing.

Now, Cutler on the other hand, looks completely and utterly detached on the sideline. I've never seen a person look so disinterested in such a big game. Jim rome said it best, "I don't question his toughness, but I do question his heart".

To summarize, Woodson:

UserPostedImage

Cutler:

UserPostedImage

Thats the difference, not the levels of toughness, but the leadership and the desire to win. Furthermore, the Packers' Aaron Rodgers went out of his way to defend Cutler. He called the players tweets about Cutler uncalled for, because Rodgers has class. It seems the Packers beat the Bears both on and off the field.
blank
Stevetarded
13 years ago
Driver and Woodson didn't act like mopey bitches the entire rest of the game. That's the obvious difference.
blank
doddpower
13 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Well bully for you. Being part of a team means supporting the guys who are on the field, especially if you are the starter in the most visible position on the team.

"gbguy20" wrote:

You bring up a good point here. Cutler, or most franchise QB's, are the face of the team. Yeah, Woodson and Driver are leaders, but Rodger's is clearly the face and main leader of the Packers. One reason it was easier to overlook Woodson and Driver's injuries is because Rodger's was still out there slinging the ball around, and we had plenty of depth to absorb the loss of Driver.

It's just the nature of the QB position. Too much credit, and too much blame. Not sure why that's a surprise to Lovie.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.