DakotaT
13 years ago
I think our division rival will be the Detroit Lions for a couple years if and only if Stafford can stay healthy. Schwartz is building a pretty nasty front seven.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
13 years ago
Nice write-up, especially coming from a Chicago paper. I think the Bears are far-far-far from winning it all. They have so many gaps on their team its ridiculous. Think of Julius Peppers as a BIG band-aid to the team last year. Their defense is fine though and have been for awhile.

The offensive line is terrible and stating that a 7th round pick is one of the best isn't saying much.
Cutler behind a good offensive line is still going to need better wide receivers.
By the time all this gets figured out, the defense will then be aging.

I agree with Dakota, Lions are going to be the new rivals in the NFC North, pending Stafford's health. They already make me nervous.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago

What picks did the Bears trade for Julius Peppers? I thought he was a Free Agent signing. That's awesome if they gave up picks too!

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

The Bears were without 1st and 2nd round picks in both '09 and '10 but I think your right that this wasn't because of Peppers.

In '09 we picked up Raji and Mathews and last year we got Bulaga and Neal.

This alone is one reason how we got younger, deeper, and, our younger players are better overall than the younger players on the Bears.

It didn't hurt us that a few young guys we have came out of nowhere as well like at CB and RB.
"The train is leaving the station."
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

What picks did the Bears trade for Julius Peppers? I thought he was a Free Agent signing. That's awesome if they gave up picks too!

"warhawk" wrote:

The Bears were without 1st and 2nd round picks in both '09 and '10.

In '09 we picked up Raji and Mathews and last year we got Bulaga and Neal.

This alone is one reason how we got younger, deeper, and, our younger players are better overall than the younger players on the Bears.

It didn't hurt us that a few young guys we have came out of nowhere as well like at CB and RB.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

That didn't remotely answer my question, lol.

Cutler Trade ...

Bears get
Jay Cutler
5th Rd 2009

Broncos get
Kyle Orton
1st Rd 2009
1st Rd 2010
3rd Rd 2009

2009 2nd Rd Pick - Chicago traded this selection to Seattle for Seattle's third- and fourth-round selections (68th and 105th overall, respectively).

2010 2nd Rd Pick - Chicago traded their second round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for Gaines Adams.

So the 1st Rounders in '09 and '10 went for Jay Cutler, and the two 2nd Rounders went to Seattle and Tampa Bay.

Julius Peppers was a free agent signing from what I've found.

Thanks for making me research the Bears, jerk! :)

Edit, I was joking btw ...
UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago
I personally think the Bears screwed up going the route they took. If your going to leverage what they did and give up what they gave up you better win it all.

Where the Packers will continue to get better because the younger guys they drafted will get better the Bears can only hope the players they have signed continue to play at the level they have played at before.

They needed a QB though that's for sure. The problem for them is that is not all they needed to play with the top tier teams. They won't get the draw they got last year when they played several teams missing their QB's. That can make a defense look a lot better than it really is.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Kyle Orton, plus the two 2 1st rounder picks > Jay Cutler.

They don't need a QB that can WIN them games, they need a game manager and that's what Kyle Orton is.

In my opinion, they should have used one of those picks for a WR, OL and defender. I think they'd be in a far better situation right now.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
13 years ago

Kyle Orton, plus the two 2 1st rounder picks > Jay Cutler.

They don't need a QB that can WIN them games, they need a game manager and that's what Kyle Orton is.

In my opinion, they should have used one of those picks for a WR, OL and defender. I think they'd be in a far better situation right now.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I agree. Orton gets no love wherever he goes but he always plays well.

Orton could have done what Martz ultimately is having Cutler do and is more comfortable doing it. You know Cutler would rather chuck it all over the place.

It makes no sense. You bring Martz and Cutler on board and end up playing the same conservative game manager type way you did before AND lose two first round picks in the process.

Probably does make sense to Bears fans but I don't get it.
macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2011/03/champion_packers_improved_detr.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+detroit-lions+%28Detroit+Lions+-+MLive.com%29 

I love Lovie's quote below..lol...

Hope he gets used to saying it... :icon_smile:

Champion Packers: Improved Detroit Lions will be a 'challenge to us'

By Tom Kowalski

NEW ORLEANS - After losing 19 straight games in the NFC North, the Detroit Lions have won two straight - including a 7-3 win over the eventual Super Bowl-winning Green Bay Packers.

The head coaches in the division have taken notice of Detroit's rise and now believe the NFC North will be competitive from top to bottom.

"We spend a lot of time on our division games and I'll put our division up against anybody's,'' said Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. "I think it's very obvious that Detroit has improved their personnel. With the high picks they've had, they've done a good job of late. They have a lot of positives, from their offensive perimeter which is going to be one of the better ones in the league. It's just the consistency at quarterback. It's hard to play with three quarterbacks and they did a helluva job playing with three quarterbacks.''

"In our division, it's hard to win without the right guy under center. Green Bay is a great example of that,'' said Minnesota head coach Leslie Frazier.

While the Lions are waiting for Matthew Stafford to stay healthy - and join the production of guys like Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers and Chicago's Jay Cutler - the Vikings are still looking for their quarterback.

A good quarterback can cover up a lot of ills. There's a reason people do whatever they can to find that franchise quarterback,'' Frazier said.

"The Green Bay Packers are world champs - man, it's hard to say that,'' said Bears head coach Lovie Smith. "When you have the world champion in your division and Minnesota was in an NFC championship game not long ago and everybody wants to talk about the improvements that Detroit has made, it's a tough division. It's a quarterback division - with tough defense. From top to bottom, you've got to be ready. We think we match up well within the division.''

With the Packers winning the Super Bowl last year, some forget that it was the Bears who won the NFC North. All the coaches believe the competition will only get better and, for a change, it will include the Lions.

"I think we have gained a little bit of confidence in our division,'' said Lions head coach Jim Schwartz. "We played Chicago - they were a final four team - and we played them really close, less than a touchdown both times. We split with Green Bay and played a tough game at Lambeau and we haven't played a good game out there in awhile. It's business as usual in the NFL - everybody's good, everybody's dangerous and every coach can find a way where every team can potentially beat them.''

McCarthy believes the Lions will take a big step up when Stafford stays healthy and in the huddle.

"I think they're a young, excellent football team that is going to be much improved next year,'' he said. "Any time you play with a number of different quarterbacks, it's going to affect your team. I think once they get Matthew healthy and get more consistency there, they're definitely going to be a challenge for us.''

While quarterbacks might grab the headlines in the NFC North, the division is also becoming a haven for pass rushers. The Bears added Julius Peppers last year, the Packers have Clay Matthews and the Lions revamped almost their entire defensive line. And all four teams are looking to add more defensive linemen in this off-season because, as Smith says, you can never have enough.

"No, never can. Even if you love every one, the next year we'll be looking to see if we can get an improvement because it all starts there with us,'' Smith said. "Detroit hasn't maybe played as well defensively, but offensively with Stafford quarterbacking, they have good skill. There's a lot of offensive power in this division and that's why you have to put an emphasis on your defensive line to try to slow them down.''

mlive.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (8h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (11h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (13h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (15h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (15h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (15h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.