macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Good video discussing NFC North team needs. They brought in Ndamukong Suh as a guest analyst. I was impressed by his performance. He definitely has a career as an analyst once his NFL career is over.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81ea6a60/NFC-North-draft-outlook 
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
Losing Jenkins worries me. Because everyone has been talking about we got Matthews but we need someone on the other side to also be a good rusher... what some having realized is we have had it, it's been Jenkins and when healthy he's done GREAT! ... he's just having some problems staying healthy.

But if we lose Jenkins we need to find another pass rusher at DE and/or OLB... some people have been saying it's clearly Neal, but Neal has been more injured than Jenkins, when healthy didn't play as well and some of his injury sounded serious like they might stick with even going into the future. So I'm not sure we can count on him even though he showed great potential.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago

Losing Jenkins worries me. Because everyone has been talking about we got Matthews but we need someone on the other side to also be a good rusher... what some having realized is we have had it, it's been Jenkins and when healthy he's done GREAT! ... he's just having some problems staying healthy.

But if we lose Jenkins we need to find another pass rusher at DE and/or OLB... some people have been saying it's clearly Neal, but Neal has been more injured than Jenkins, when healthy didn't play as well and some of his injury sounded serious like they might stick with even going into the future. So I'm not sure we can count on him even though he showed great potential.

"beast" wrote:

Between Capers and TT, I have absolutely no anxiety about this issue whatsoever.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

Between Capers and Ted Thompson, I have absolutely no anxiety about this issue whatsoever.

"beast" wrote:

Yeah, you're right, because this position not being taken care off for the last 2 years gives me immense confidence.

What I think is this... The position is too weak to actually get a real push from anyone besides Matthews, but too strong to really make it a huge priority. Which means that, if the pieces don't fall exactly in place, we'll be stuck with a list of very low-end starters yet again.

Neal is good, but you can't expect any DE/DT to come in and consistently get pressure off the edge, let alone such an unproven guy like Neal.

We had to come out with some weird formations in the SB. Formations that used all our d-linemen on one side, over the guard and tackle, with Hawk on the other and Matthews in the middle. The kind of packages that can be destroyed by the run. I think that, had the Steelers not have been playing catch-up just about the entire game, we wouldn't have been able to get the pressure necessary to keep them down.

Capers' scheming is great, but it can only do so much. The reason the Steelers are consistently winning with their defense is because of pressure. James Harrison on one side and LaMarr Woodley is as close to being unstoppable as it gets. Then with guys like Keissel, Farrior and Hood who can also generate some push, you have the lay-out for a consistently great defense.
Rockmolder
13 years ago
Just wachted the video.

Fu, Jamie Dukes.
nerdmann
13 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Between Capers and Ted Thompson, I have absolutely no anxiety about this issue whatsoever.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Yeah, you're right, because this position not being taken care off for the last 2 years gives me immense confidence.

What I think is this... The position is too weak to actually get a real push from anyone besides Matthews, but too strong to really make it a huge priority. Which means that, if the pieces don't fall exactly in place, we'll be stuck with a list of very low-end starters yet again.

Neal is good, but you can't expect any DE/DT to come in and consistently get pressure off the edge, let alone such an unproven guy like Neal.

We had to come out with some weird formations in the SB. Formations that used all our d-linemen on one side, over the guard and tackle, with Hawk on the other and Matthews in the middle. The kind of packages that can be destroyed by the run. I think that, had the Steelers not have been playing catch-up just about the entire game, we wouldn't have been able to get the pressure necessary to keep them down.

Capers' scheming is great, but it can only do so much. The reason the Steelers are consistently winning with their defense is because of pressure. James Harrison on one side and LaMarr Woodley is as close to being unstoppable as it gets. Then with guys like Keissel, Farrior and Hood who can also generate some push, you have the lay-out for a consistently great defense.

"beast" wrote:

PREDICTION: Not only will Ted get a guy (or two) who can pressure the QB, but (at least) one of the following will develop to that point: Brad Jones (remember him?) Frank Zombo, Erik Walden. Let's add Neal to this as well.
Remember, Raji's known to get some pressure on as well.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
warhawk
13 years ago

"Rockmolder" wrote:

"nerdmann" wrote:

"beast" wrote:

Rock, I think to say something hasn't been addressed in two years is not looking at what HAS been addressed. In reality the team was missing several parts when the switch was made to the 3-4. Ted latched onto Mathews, Raji, Burnett, and, Neal in that time and Bulaga was a no-brainer. That pretty much takes up the first couple of rounds over the last two years.

Besides, it's not like Ted doesn't want Jenkins to stay. It's one of those deals where he's at that point for someone to cough up the big bucks and will probably get overpaid. Happens all the time.

As far as the team has come personnel wise to get the 3-4 right it won't be as difficult replacing Jenkins now as it would have been last year or the year before. We're in pretty darn good shape in most positions.

I am pretty sure we're going to see an OLB or DE name called at #32. That might make you feel a little better.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I say 45% chance we get a OLB or DE dude at #32. 45% chance we get OL. 10% chance for someone else (Ted's hard to predict). Actually, throw in we trade that pick away for an extra pick later. That might happen too. I think this year, Ted might be thinking "depth everywhere" after all those injuries.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
13 years ago
I think most of the OL worthy of the #32 will be gone. IF both Sherrod and Pouncey ARE gone with the others that means one of the good OLB's or DE's will still be there. It seems like a good one falls to us every year. Hopefully, that trend continues.

You are right about Ted though. With him there's no tellin'. I like the odds a little bit higher than yours for a DE or OLB but that's because of the number of good ones out of those two positions combined.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Yeah, I was intentionally vague about OL, saying OL instead of OT. Of OL, I think it will be 60% OT, 40% G or C. I heard the draft is deep for DE/OLB but just repeating what I heard. We could use both OL or DE/OLB so thus that's why that's my guess for biggest priority.

What I'm actually hoping for the most though is a burner who can excite our return positions again. Our return game is boooohhhhhring. Might as well take a touchback and start at the 20.

But then again, that will be more like our 4th or 5th round pick.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (21h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (22h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.