zombieslayer
13 years ago

I have a couple of comments.

First, T.J. Lang was not very good last year. I don't know if injuries held him back, but I was not impressed with him when he got in games. I believe he saw action against Chicago and Detroit.

The other thing to note is that 30 is not that old for a center. Scott Wells has a couple of years left in him and had his best season by far this year. In fact, Wells is probably a top five center in the NFC currently or close to it. Certainly, he is among the top half of 16 teams.

Finally, I recall McCarthy being optimistic about Brandon Underwood last year. Granted, Underwood had other things going on, which may have hindered his development, but I wouldn't read too much into his comments.

I personally believe the starting LG is not on the roster yet. Well see though.

"porky88" wrote:

I missed this comment. I agree.

I wrote on another thread that our starting OL next year will be (L to R):
Cliffy, ?, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
beast
13 years ago

First, T.J. Lang was not very good last year. I don't know if injuries held him back, but I was not impressed with him when he got in games. I believe he saw action against Chicago and Detroit.

"porky88" wrote:

I don't think any of the OL looked good the 2nd game against Detroit.

I was very impressed with Lang in the playoff game against Chicago... sure Peppers beat him up his first drive he was in but Peppers is one of the best DE in the NFL and it was Lang first drive...

But I think Lang got two more drives and the Peppers was no where to be seen including a very long TD drive, where they had a running game that was working.

To me Lang has looked good in games, other than when he has to line up against Jard Allen...
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
13 years ago
JMHO, but I hope College is re-signed, why?...ever since Ted Thompson took over the reigns it seems like the o-line for whatever reasons(injuries,releases...etc), the o-line has been a continual game of musical chairs, moving guys in and out trying different combinations.

Finally this year, the o-line was the same 5 guys(after Bulaga took over for Tauscher), every week. These 5 guys may not be the best at their position, but as a group they performed pretty damn well.

Bulaga went through some growing pains, which is to be expected, but by the time the play-offs came around, he played very well.

Clifton took it to another level, one more time, I don't know if he has another year left in him, but sure hopes he comes back and tries.

College,Wells and Sitton were solid all year long, everyone has a bad series or game, but if you look at the season as a whole, I am betting there are plenty of other teams and qb's out there who wished they could play behind The Packers O-line.

The O-line is not 5 seperate guys playing on the same field, they are a UNIT working together, to achieve their goal of protecting the QB and opening holes for the running game.

These guys were good enough to get The Packers to and to win The SuperBowl, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I know changes will be made due to guys getting to old, but other than Clifton, the rest need to stay in tact to continue the success.

If Cliffy wants to try it agin next year, I would welcome him back with open arms.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I hear what your saying buckeye. but if GB decides to let Colledge walk and they plug someone else into the LG slot, I think Wells and Clifton are veteran enough to be able to get into sync with whoever plays in that position. Especially if the new LG has a little more skill and athleticism.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

Perhaps I should have been particular, saying that often he has come off as a loudmouth douche, rather than using a blanket statement and generalizing that he is a loudmouth douche

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Bozz, don't back off...whether we agree with you or not...you're entitled to you opinion!!! :icon_smile:
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Buckeye - Cliffy will be back in '11. He played one of his best years of his career in '10.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Buckeye - Cliffy will be back in '11. He played one of his best years of his career in '10.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

How'd that work for the guy who had statistically one of his best seasons in a long career in '09 when he came back the following year? Yes, I'm a little worried.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

How'd that work for the guy who had statistically one of his best seasons in a long career in '09 when he came back the following year? Yes, I'm a little worried.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

We got depth. The Packers want to show respect for veterans. When Ted Thompson cleared out all the "Favre Loyalists" on the team (Such as William Henderson) there was a perception that the Packers strongly preferred youth over aging veterans.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
zombieslayer
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Wrong team. That's an apples and oranges comparison.

For one, we have good chemistry. They didn't. Rice went down and the whole thing fell apart. We had way more injuries and we stuck together and actually got stronger because we knew we'd have to give 110% to win games.

Coaching makes a huge difference, and here's where I give HUGE props to Mike.

Plus, there are some other mental variables I really don't want to get into right now. Let's just chalk that up as a bad comparison.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Wrong team. That's an apples and oranges comparison.

For one, we have good chemistry. They didn't. Rice went down and the whole thing fell apart. We had way more injuries and we stuck together and actually got stronger because we knew we'd have to give 110% to win games.

Coaching makes a huge difference, and here's where I give HUGE props to Mike.

Plus, there are some other mental variables I really don't want to get into right now. Let's just chalk that up as a bad comparison.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Wrong team? That doesn't even make any sense. I didn't specify a team, rather was focusing on a player.

No question coaching makes a big difference and I think Clifton will do 'okay', but am worried he won't hold up throughout the season.
UserPostedImage