Greg C.
13 years ago
Here are the drop percentages, according to the GB Press Gazette's article where they graded the receivers:

Greg Jennings--3.2% (4 drops)
Donald Driver--8.1% (7 drops)
James Jones--6.9% (6 drops)
Jordy Nelson--6.3% (4 drops)

A caveat is that I don't know how they decided which incompletions were and were not drops. But assuming these numbers are valid, James Jones doesn't look as bad as expected. I'm sure most of us thought he had dropped more than six during the regular season, though of course he did have two of his patented monster drops during the playoffs, which are not counted here.

I knew Driver had a lot of drops this year. People tend to overlook his mistakes because everyone loves him and the drops all occur on short yardage plays. He was strictly a possession receiver this year.

By the way, they say that Andrew Quarless dropped two passes in 33 times targeted, for a drop percentage of 6.3. Lee dropped zero in 12 times targeted. Crabtree dropped one (no percentage given).

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110212/PKR01/302130031/Grades-for-Packers-receivers 
blank
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Here are the drop percentages, according to the GB Press Gazette's article where they graded the receivers:

Greg Jennings--3.2% (4 drops)
Donald Driver--8.1% (7 drops)
James Jones--6.9% (6 drops)
Jordy Nelson--6.3% (4 drops)

A caveat is that I don't know how they decided which incompletions were and were not drops. But assuming these numbers are valid, James Jones doesn't look as bad as expected. I'm sure most of us thought he had dropped more than six during the regular season, though of course he did have two of his patented monster drops during the playoffs, which are not counted here.

I knew Driver had a lot of drops this year. People tend to overlook his mistakes because everyone loves him and the drops all occur on short yardage plays. He was strictly a possession receiver this year.

By the way, they say that Andrew Quarless dropped two passes in 33 times targeted, for a drop percentage of 6.3. Lee dropped zero in 12 times targeted. Crabtree dropped one (no percentage given).

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110212/PKR01/302130031/Grades-for-Packers-receivers 

"Greg C." wrote:

It's not just the number of drops but what they were. Driver's drops were often up the middle where he was about to take a big hit or was going to get tackled for a first down and that's it. Jones' memorable drops were TDs.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
What Zombieslayer said. I noticed Driver's drops throughout season, which is why I remarked a few times it wouldn't bother me much if he weren't back next season. Also, as already pointed out, the magnitude of the drops was typically different. Jones' drops were conspicuous because they were potentially game-changing plays. Driver's didn't seem to be, or at least not as often.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
I can't find the link right now but I remember reading that Jordy and Jones tied for the most this season with 10 drops apiece.

EDIT: Found it.

PASS OFFENSE (A)

At midseason, Aaron Rodgers was idling along ranked 16th in passer rating at 85.3 before he and the passing attack exploded. Over the remainder of the regular season, his play was so extraordinary (122.1 rating, 71.4% completion rate) that he vaulted to third at 101.2, trailing only Tom Brady (111.0) and Philip Rivers (101.8). Coupled with his postseason mark of 109.8, Rodgers' 19-game rating was 103.1. The Packers were fifth in passing yards (257.8) before averaging 260.3 in the playoffs. Green Bay wasn't a prolific deep-ball team, evidenced by the average distance of its TD passes (19.5) compared with 24.0 in '09 as well as its total of 17 completions for more than 35 yards, down from 24 in '09, 19 in '08 and 23 in '07. Certainly, Rodgers often looked to throw down the field, but the main thrust was spreading the ball around in short to intermediate zones. When cornerbacks played soft, Rodgers turned 30 called runs into one-step hitches with easy 5- to 8-yard gains. In the first four games, TE Jermichael Finley averaged 75.3 yards and played 25 more snaps (196) than any of the wide receivers. In Finley's five games, Greg Jennings averaged 36.6. Following Finley's exit with a blown knee, Jennings averaged 92.3 yards and had his greatest impact. There were 46 dropped passes, down from 50 in '09 but still too many. James Jones and Jordy Nelson each dropped 10. Jones led the team in average gain after the catch (5.16 yards). The Packers ranked 20th in percentage of sacks allowed. Rodgers was charged with 13 sacks, down three from '09, Chad Clifton was responsible for 8 and Bryan Bulaga for 6.

Full Link 
Greg C.
13 years ago
The thing is, a drop always yields the same result: It's an incompletion. So even though Driver's drops were on short passes and in traffic, that's only because he couldn't get open deep in the first place. Jones' drops were excruciating to watch because we could see what might have been, but really they were no more harmful than a drop of a short pass.

Interesting to see that another source has Jones and Nelson with 10 drops apiece. I wonder if they were counting some very hard-to-catch passes. I tend to be more conservative when I count drops, so I'm more inclined to go with the lower numbers.
blank
djcubez
13 years ago

The thing is, a drop always yields the same result: It's an incompletion. So even though Driver's drops were on short passes and in traffic, that's only because he couldn't get open deep in the first place. Jones' drops were excruciating to watch because we could see what might have been, but really they were no more harmful than a drop of a short pass.

Interesting to see that another source has Jones and Nelson with 10 drops apiece. I wonder if they were counting some very hard-to-catch passes. I tend to be more conservative when I count drops, so I'm more inclined to go with the lower numbers.

"Greg C." wrote:

Yea I'm not certain what there qualifiers were. I'm also not sure if they're factoring in the playoffs or not.
macbob
13 years ago

I can't find the link right now but I remember reading that Jordy and Jones tied for the most this season with 10 drops apiece.

"djcubez" wrote:

Not sure where they got their numbers at, but STATS LLC numbers agree with the GB Press Gazette's numbers (DD 7, JJ 6, etc)
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago
What I have noticed about Jones, at least those drops I remember from him, were passes where he had his hand out in front, while looking back over his left shoulder. It seems if he is facing the ball, he makes the catch, if he is on a crossing route, he makes the catch. It is on Go or Post routes when he looks back over his left shoulder.

I wonder if he could have a blind spot that way. Even the TD in NE from Flynn he bobbled the ball an almost dropped it.

All around I remember a bunch of "Drops" where the ball had to be delivered early, and the WR were lucky to get hands on the ball at all. Yet as they say, if it hits their hands it should be caught.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
maybe I am missing something. Was this for the playoffs or the season or what? If playoffs do they have the numbers for the season as well?
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
13 years ago
A 2009 study done by The University Of New Mexico Physics Department on the force of a thrown football combined with the softness and "EQUAL" motion and strength of both of the hands by the reciever is the key to a completion.

The study showed that 94.25 % of all droped footballs was a direct result of having a stronger right hand then left hand. This is a natural hand strength for most people.

That Superbowl ring will weigh a ton. After wearing the heavy ring on their left hand for a while the extra weight on the left hand will strengthen the left hand to the equal strength of the right hand.

This will make both hands equally strong for Jordy, Greg, Donald, and all of the recievers. Wearing the heavy Superbowl ring will eliminate 99.34 % of drops in the 2011 season due to equal hand softness, strength and motion combined with the force of football speed

Alright... Of Course... I just made that shit up.

But it sounds right.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (16h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (16h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (16h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (17h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (19h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.