macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
http://www.freep.com/article/20110208/SPORTS01/102080396/1049/rss14 

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Long after the final streams of confetti had trickled down from Cowboys Stadium, acknowledging the Packers' 31-25 Super Bowl XLV victory over the Steelers, MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers gave a terrifying take-notice to the rest of the NFL.

"We got one so far," Rodgers said. "We're going to make a run next year. But tonight, we're going to enjoy this."

Even in the Not For Long league, the Packers have pieced together a roster good enough and young enough to contend for the foreseeable future.

Rodgers was playing like the best quarterback in football even before he led three pristine touchdown drives against Pittsburgh's top-ranked scoring defense. Clay Matthews is one of the game's top pass rushers, with 23 1/2 sacks in his first two seasons.

And B.J. Raji, A.J. Hawk, Tramon Williams and Greg Jennings also are members of Green Bay's under-28 core locked up through next season, at least.

The Packers are a model organization in how they have built and who they have built with.

So what can the Lions learn from the Super Bowl champs? And more important, what must the playoff-starved franchise do to surpass its rivals in the treacherous NFC North?

The Green Bay way

ARLINGTON, Texas -- In the NFL, building through the draft is the only sustainable, efficient way to go.

Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said as much when he ascended to power after 2008's winless season, and the Green Bay Packers proved that again Sunday with a 31-25 victory over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.

Of the 22 Packers who started in the Super Bowl, 17 were drafted by Green Bay. Linebacker Frank Zombo signed as an undrafted rookie out of Central Michigan. Cornerback Tramon Williams was developed through the practice squad after a brief stint with Houston. Defensive end Howard Green was claimed off waivers. And cornerback Charles Woodson and defensive end Ryan Pickett came as free agents, although only Woodson would qualify as a big-name signing.

By acquiring and nurturing most of their talent, the Packers have kept costs down and a steady stream of hungry, well-schooled replacements available. Cornerback Sam Shields, another undrafted rookie, played most of the fourth quarter in Woodson's place.

Under Mayhew, the Lions' desire is to avoid high-priced free-agents, although last off-season they splurged on Kyle Vanden Bosch and Nate Burleson.

Those additions were meant to plug holes left by years of draft neglect. The Lions have nothing to show from 2002 to 2005, when they took a quarterback (Joey Harrington) and three receivers (Charles Rogers, Roy Williams and Mike Williams) in the first round.

In the same drafts, the Packers unearthed starters Nick Collins, Scott Wells and Nick Barnett (who's on injured reserve and missed the Super Bowl), and found maybe the game's best quarterback in Aaron Rodgers.

As the Lions enter this off-season with sincere hopes of breaking an 11-year playoff drought, there are lessons to be learned from those picks and the Packers.

Best Player Available is the way to go: Green Bay did not need Rodgers in 2005. Brett Favre was still playing at a high level -- he had a revival of sorts a year earlier, throwing for 4,088 yards and 30 touchdowns -- but when Rodgers, a potential No. 1 overall pick, slid to 24, the Packers had done enough homework to know he was their man.

The Lions' drafts have been ready-made the past two years. Matthew Stafford was the obvious choice with the first pick in 2009, and last year there were some who thought Ndamukong Suh was a steal at No. 2.

Things won't be quite as clear this year, when the Lions draft 13th. That's still high enough to get a cornerstone playmaker, but it might not be at one of their two neediest positions (linebacker and cornerback).

The draft is stacked on the defensive line this year, the Lions' deepest position. Still, there's merit to taking a pass rusher or run clogger if that's the best player on your board. Rogers sat for three years and at 27 is a star. Three years from now, there's no guarantee anyone but Suh still will be on the Lions' front.

Hesitation can hurt: The Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the second round in 2008, and Brohm looked like a bust from the moment he stepped on the field. Rather than for wait him to develop, Green Bay cut Brohm before he ever appeared in a game.

General manager Ted Thompson made similarly tough (and unpopular) decisions to trade disgruntled receiver Javon Walker and the legendary Favre.

Mayhew is a ruthless GM who's approaching his own hard decisions. It's easy to hold on to unproductive third-round pick Derrick Williams when the playoffs are a pipe dream, and difficult sometimes to admit your mistakes the minute they become clear. But tough choices can pay big dividends. For Favre, the Packers got a third-round pick from the Jets they used to trade up to draft Clay Matthews.

Stick with him: No one in the organization is trying to move on from Stafford, and doing so now despite two injury-riddled seasons would be silly. Stafford turned 23 on Monday, has been paid most of his money, and as good as the Packers and Steelers were defensively, the NFL is still a quarterback's game.

Rodgers passed for 304 yards and three touchdowns in the Super Bowl and is the biggest reason the Packers are NFL champs.

Stafford doesn't have anywhere near Rodgers' pocket presence, and his ability to take a hit is a question. But he has as good an arm as there is in the NFL.

If Stafford makes good on his promise, there's a good chance the Lions will, too.

Detroit Free Press wrote:

UserPostedImage
TOPackerFan
13 years ago
Good read, but the Lions are a lot closer to being good than it looks. They had a really high scoring Offense last year (without their #1 QB for a lot of it) and have as good a DL as there is in the NFL. The only real weak link, and it's a big one, is the back 7 on D, but one good draft can change that. I'd expect the NFC North to be a two team race between the Packers and Lions for the next 3 or 4 years to come.
Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince
Fan Shout
dhazer (4h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (5h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (20h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.