Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=5566§ion_id=40 

ARLINGTON, Texas So much of his story, so much of his football life had been spent waiting.

Waiting for Division I college recruiters who never called. Waiting in the green room of the Jacob Javitz Center in New York City during the 2005 NFL Draft, when he fell from possibly being the No. 1 overall pick to being chosen No. 24. Waiting three years behind a waffling legend whose attempt to reclaim his job in the summer of 2008 divided a (Packer) nation.

And now, atop the Super Bowl XLV victory podium at midfield of Cowboys Stadium, Aaron Rodgers found himself waiting, again. Only this time, the Green Bay Packers quarterback and Super Bowl MVP -- was waiting for the opportunity to say what was on his mind amid all the revelry.

So as coach Mike McCarthy, general manager Ted Thompson and team president/CEO Mark Murphy stood together to accept the Lombardi Trophy for FOX Sports Terry Bradshaw to present, Rodgers waited patiently off to the side. Then, he told those three men what hed been waiting to tell them for much longer than just the opening minutes of the post-game show.

Thank you.

Thats what I did on the podium. I thanked Ted and Mark and Mike, really for believing in me and giving me an opportunity, Rodgers explained after leading the Packers to a 31-25 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I told Ted back in 2005 (that) he wouldnt be sorry with this pick. I told him in 08 that I was going to repay their trust and get us this opportunity.

And while Rodgers was rewarding Thompson, McCarthy, Murphy and the teams passionate fan base with the franchises fourth Super Bowl championship and 13th overall NFL title, he didnt go home empty-handed after completing 24 of 39 passes (numbers skewed by several drops by receivers) for 304 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 111.5.

For his patience, Rodgers was rewarded with an uplifting celebratory ride on the shoulders of his teammates, a championship belt from linebacker Clay Matthews to commemorate his imaginary belt celebration, the Super Bowl MVP award and a new bright red Camaro convertible from Chevrolet, and a place in the hallowed lore of the NFLs most historic franchise.

Im very proud of Aaron. Hes a good player, a good teammate, Thompson said in the locker room later. I think people are going to write stories about him 10 years from now. Hes pretty special. Even though hes done so much, hes still just kind of getting started.

Rodgers got started fast on Sunday night, but he saved his biggest throws for the fourth quarter.

The first came with 13 minutes 16 seconds left in the game and the Packers clinging to a 21-17 lead. Facing third-and-10 from the Steelers 40-yard line after Jordy Nelson dropped what would have been a first down and more, Rodgers lined up in the shotgun with Brandon Jackson in the backfield and his four remaining wide receivers (with Donald Driver out with a high ankle sprain) spreading the field. He went right back to Nelson, who beat safety Ryan Clark for a 38-yard gain to the Steelers 2. Two plays later, Rodgers hit Jennings for an 8-yard touchdown and a 28-17 lead.

He played extremely well, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said, adding that Rodgers made a protection adjustment on the play just before the snap. If youre going to win a championship, youve got to make some plays in the fourth quarter when things are tough.

Rodgers made another such play on the Packers next possession, after the Steelers pulled within three points on Mike Wallaces 25-yard touchdown catch and the ensuing two-point conversion.

Facing third-and-10 at his own 25 with 5:59 to play, Rodgers threw an absolutely picture-perfect ball to Jennings across the middle, with the ball sneaking just over the outstretched hand of cornerback Ike Taylor and right to Jennings in stride, who caught the ball at the Green Bay 45 and turned it into a momentum-shifting 31-yard gain. Rodgers then hit James Jones for a 21-yard gain three plays later, and while the Packers settled for a 23-yard Mason Crosby field goal when the drive bogged down inside the 10, the Packers were back in control.

We put everything on his shoulders, said McCarthy, whose team set a Super Bowl record by having just 13 rushing attempts 11 by James Starks (for 52 yards) and two kneel-downs by Rodgers (for minus-2 yards) in the Victory Formation. He did a lot at the line of scrimmage against a great defense. He did a hell of a job.

The defense clinched the win from there, and Rodgers, who received 17.5 of a possible 20 MVP votes, joined Bart Starr (Super Bowls I and II) as the only Packers quarterbacks to win the MVP award in the sports greatest game.

Ive said it once and Ill say it again: No one person has ever won a game by themselves, Rodgers said. This is a team effort and a great group of men. Special guys. And Im just blessed to be one of the leaders on this team. Individually, its the top of the mountain in my sport, my profession. Its what you dream about as a kid and you think about in high school, junior college, D-I: Getting this opportunity.

It also meant Rodgers wait on one other tidbit rebounding from a zero-touchdown, two-interception performance he deemed unacceptable in the teams NFC Championship Game victory over the Chicago Bears two weeks earlier.

It means I played better tonight, Rodgers said with a laugh. I struggled some in the last game. Guys made some plays tonight. I felt in a better rhythm. Mike had a great flow to the game (in his play-calling). Fun night.

One that was well worth the wait.

"JASON WILDE" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (11h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (11h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (16h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (16h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (16h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.